430W doubling in cost?

Old August 3rd 07, 04:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
bdl

Default 430W doubling in cost?

Anybody heard this from another avionics shop, or is this just a
Cincinnati Avionics thing?

" Schedule your WAAS upgrade now!
Save $1495.00"

"Effective September 1st the WAAS Upgrade price will increase from
$1500.00 to $2995.00, therefore schedule your WAAS upgrade by August
31st to be completed before May 31, 2008 and save $1495.00."

We have a 430, but not the WAAS upgrade. We were tabling the issue of
upgrading, since we don't fly enough approaches to justify the
additional cost.

I can't find anything on the Garmin site about increase in cost.

Brian
N9093K

Old August 3rd 07, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Al G[_2_]

"bdl" wrote in message
ups.com...
Anybody heard this from another avionics shop, or is this just a
Cincinnati Avionics thing?

" Schedule your WAAS upgrade now!
Save $1495.00"

"Effective September 1st the WAAS Upgrade price will increase from
$1500.00 to $2995.00, therefore schedule your WAAS upgrade by August
31st to be completed before May 31, 2008 and save $1495.00."

We have a 430, but not the WAAS upgrade. We were tabling the issue of
upgrading, since we don't fly enough approaches to justify the
additional cost.

I can't find anything on the Garmin site about increase in cost.

Brian
N9093K

I haven't seen it on the Garmin site, but this is correct. You have to
schedule it before 9/1/07, but the work can wait until sometime in 2008.
(March maybe?)

Al G

Old August 3rd 07, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Gig 601XL Builder

bdl wrote:
Anybody heard this from another avionics shop, or is this just a
Cincinnati Avionics thing?

" Schedule your WAAS upgrade now!
Save $1495.00"

"Effective September 1st the WAAS Upgrade price will increase from
$1500.00 to $2995.00, therefore schedule your WAAS upgrade by August
31st to be completed before May 31, 2008 and save $1495.00."

We have a 430, but not the WAAS upgrade. We were tabling the issue of
upgrading, since we don't fly enough approaches to justify the
additional cost.

I can't find anything on the Garmin site about increase in cost.

Brian
N9093K

It doesn't surprise me. They have been saying from before they started doing
the upgrades that the cost would be at $1500 only for a limited time.
Announcing that it will be double a year from now should push through a
pretty good amount of cash into their bank account over the next year.

I'm actually a little surprised they've kept the lower rate this long.

Old August 3rd 07, 07:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
John T.[_2_]

Remember that there are likely additional charges to the $1495. A new
antenna to receive the WAAS and possibly a new RF antenna cable with
lower loss will need to be installed.

Having said that, we debated the choices in my partnership and went
ahead with it. Beyond the approach capabilities, the advantages we used
to rationalize it we

Much new hardware inside (for whatever that is worth)
Addition of a decent terrain warning map
Much faster updates to track (maybe 5 Hz)

This last one might be of use in IMC with gyro problems.

-John T.

Old August 3rd 07, 10:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Peter R.

On 8/3/2007 2:01:49 PM, "John T." wrote:

Remember that there are likely additional charges to the $1495. A new
antenna to receive the WAAS and possibly a new RF antenna cable with
lower loss will need to be installed.

And, for some of us, the additional requirement of an annunciator switch also
adds to the cost. I was quoted $800 for the switch, and another $500 for the
labor to install it. So far I have been on the fence regarding the upgrade
due the additional cost, but if it is going to jump by that much...

--
Peter
Old August 4th 07, 12:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Peter Clark

On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 15:53:43 -0000, bdl
wrote:

Anybody heard this from another avionics shop, or is this just a
Cincinnati Avionics thing?

" Schedule your WAAS upgrade now!
Save $1495.00"

"Effective September 1st the WAAS Upgrade price will increase from
$1500.00 to $2995.00, therefore schedule your WAAS upgrade by August
31st to be completed before May 31, 2008 and save $1495.00."

We have a 430, but not the WAAS upgrade. We were tabling the issue of
upgrading, since we don't fly enough approaches to justify the
additional cost.

Garmin announced this via a dealer bulletin a while back.
Old August 4th 07, 12:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Peter Clark

On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 14:01:47 -0400, "John T."
wrote:

Remember that there are likely additional charges to the $1495. A new
antenna to receive the WAAS and possibly a new RF antenna cable with
lower loss will need to be installed.

The new antenna comes in the $1500 kit. If you have a real old
aircraft you may need new coax. I did a dual-430 seminole for less
than $4k all-in.
Old August 4th 07, 01:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Frank Ch. Eigler

"John T." writes:

Remember that there are likely additional charges to the $1495. A
new antenna to receive the WAAS and possibly a new RF antenna cable
with lower loss will need to be installed.

Indeed. My local avionics shop estimated more like $4000 for the
whole deal.

Much new hardware inside (for whatever that is worth)
Addition of a decent terrain warning map

(That was already available for about 1 AMU as a separate upgrade for
430/530's.)

Much faster updates to track (maybe 5 Hz)
This last one might be of use in IMC with gyro problems.

Dunno. Digital numbers won't be readable at 5 changes per second.
Analog outputs are basically just CDI/VDI's, whose super-rapid updates
may help only during the tail end of an approach.

- FChE
Old August 4th 07, 02:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Viperdoc

I traded in my non WAAS 530 for a new 530W, and installed a new 430 W as
well for around $11,000, including the new antennas and cabling, along with
the installation and annunciator.

The upgrade for a 430 may not be as valuable as for a 530, since the screen
is so much smaller, and there is less information available. Flying an
approach with a single unit, it would not be practical to switch from the
map page to the terrain page and back. The situational awareness from the
530 is far superior.

However, flying the GPS approaches when coupled to an autopilot are a dream-
smooth, and with no hunting like on an ILS. This would be the case with
either unit.

From the SA perspective alone, upgrading the 430 may not be cost effective,
especially with a single unit installation.

Old August 14th 07, 01:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Peter R.

On 8/3/2007 5:59:34 PM, "Peter R." wrote:

So far I have been on the fence regarding the upgrade
due the additional cost, but if it is going to jump by that much...

Okay, after mulling it over for the last few weeks I went ahead and scheduled
my GNS430 to be upgraded at the end of the month. There are enough LPV
approaches here in the Northeast US to justify it, and having a glideslope
capability on non-precision approaches will be much nicer than the
dive-and-drive method.

The doubling of the upgrade price by Garmin served its purpose.

--
Peter