Annual IA Software

Old August 13th 07, 09:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Darrel Toepfer

Default Annual IA Software

"RST Engineering" wrote:

Thanks, Ross, but that's just the aircraft data file, not the AD or SB
files.

Type clubs tend to collect all that info and make it available to their
members through their websites...

The Feds website is currently busted for looking up AD's via MAKE:
http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory...rgAD.nsf/Curre
ntADFRMakeModel!OpenView

SAIB via Make/Model for C182A (under APPLIANCE you can do your motor,
vacuum pump, etc.):

Cracks in plastic or non-metallic control wheels 01/10/2007 Cessna
Aircraft Company:
http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Gu...rary/rgSAIB.ns
f/(LookupSAIBs)/CE-01-41?OpenDocument or
http://tinyurl.com/33df5v
Applies to model but later date of manufacture 60-64

Leaking Fuel Caps 10/28/2003 Cessna Aircraft Company, The:
http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Gu...ry/rgSAIB.nsf/
(LookupSAIBs)/CE-04-11?OpenDocument or
http://tinyurl.com/3c3mhd

If somebody has a better way of doing this, I too would like the info as
well... For now I collect the .PDF's and .HTMLs of all the Fed documents
and burn them to a CD for the annual guy to view on the computer with a
new INDEX page I create with links to all the data I found...

I already belong to the Short Wingers, so that covers me type club wise,
they do a much better job than the Piper Flyers / Piper Owners which
concern themselves with more recent models. We were always happy with
the Cessna Pilots Association when we owned spam cans... ;-)

Piper Club honors AOPA

Short Wing Piper Club Vice President Frank Sperandeo flew his pristine
Piper Pacer to Frederick, Maryland, on August 8 to present a special
award to AOPA and the association's President Phil Boyer.

The stunning trophy and accompanying plaque recognizes AOPA and Boyer
for "providing general aviation's leadership in the political arena,
especially in the current struggle against repressive governmental user
fees and the continuing struggle to reduce the oppressive flight
restrictions of post-9/11."

The club said that AOPA services, including AOPA Pilot magazine and the
AOPA Web site, were of "inestimable value" and "facilitated every aspect
of aircraft ownership and flying."

Short wing Pipers were built from 1948 to 1963 and include such
cherished models as the Clipper, Colt, Pacer, and Tri-Pacer. The
"Timeless Tri-Pacer" was AOPA's sweepstakes aircraft in 1998.

August 8, 2007
Old August 13th 07, 09:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

On Aug 13, 9:46 am, "RST Engineering" wrote:
I bought the Zook software yesterday for $285 the year. Sierra doesn't have
an A&P school, so I'm SOL there. And if you think the college provides him
one for free, you don't quite grasp the fundamentals of taxation. It might
be at no cost to the IA, but free ain't quite the word.

You know that isn't what I said, but I know you're just trying to be
funny.

-Robert

Old August 14th 07, 09:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

What are u guys using for Service Bulletins? For Bonanzas,
I have a CD ROM that was a one shot; I get the newer ones in the mail.

When someone brings a Cessna, I am at a loss.

Bill H. Loveland CO

Old August 14th 07, 11:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Tri-Pacer

" What are u guys using for Service Bulletins? For Bonanzas,
I have a CD ROM that was a one shot; I get the newer ones in the mail.

When someone brings a Cessna, I am at a loss.

ATP navigator includes the bulletins IF they pertain to an AD. For all
others bite the bullet I guess and buy them.

Cheers:

Paul
N1431A
KPLU

Old August 15th 07, 06:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Blanche

RST Engineering wrote:
Thanks, Ross, but that's just the aircraft data file, not the AD or SB
files.

Jim

As a rule, the SBs are considered "proprietary" by the vendor and not
freely published. For example, if you want the list of SBs from Piper,
you pay a premium. But you can get them. If you are the registered
owner, the manufacturer is "supposed" to provide the ones relevant
to you.

As for the ADs, each and every one (airframe, powerplant, appliance, et)
are on the FAAs website. Airframe and powerplant are easy to find. It;s
all the appliances, e.g. starters, instruments, etc.

The companies that make money on this are providing the "value" by
making it easier to search for stuff, that's all.

Now, if you're in the A&P and/or IA business and need a collection of
these things, then you may be forced to buy the service or hire
someone to do the searches for you.

Very time-consuming, I might add. I've done the searches for everything
on my cherokee and it was NOT simple. Step one is to identify each
and every item that potentially can have an AD or something. This
meant going thru 37 years of log books, tracking each and every
change. Serial numbers, models, vendor, manufacturer, and so on for
every single silly thing.

Then I could search the AD list for relevant info.

On the other hand, it was something to do last winter when no one
came for 3 days to plow and I was stuck at home. Another advantage
to being out of work. Lots of time to do this.

Old August 15th 07, 07:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
RST Engineering

Exactly Blanche, and what I remember is a program that was a GUI for the FAA
site, that would go over all the ADs, TCs, and the like and be (for lack of
a better word) an indexing program from which you could pick and choose
probable applicable ADs and such.

For example (from memory, possibly not correct) the C-172E could use Slick
or Bendix mags, but only one or two model numbers of each. The program knew
this from the TC and let you select which particular mag went with the
aircraft you were inspecting. Once known (unless the mags were changed) the
program would keep that particular N number in memory and tell you next year
whether or not there were any new ADs on that particular model/serial number
you had.

Jim

--
"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're right."
--Henry Ford

Old August 15th 07, 08:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim Burns[_2_]

Jim,
Could it be Tdata and their templates? The demo on their website looks like
it does what you suggest.
JimB

Old August 15th 07, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
RST Engineering

Nope. TData supplies you a CDROM with all the FAA data on it and the
"template" simply lists the most probable equipment on a particular model
aircraft ... it is up to you to verify that it has the right mags, carb,
prop, etc.. But the data is all on the CDROM and the price reflects the
fact that they have to send out a new CDROM every month or every quarter.

The stuff I saw, I think, combs the FAA site for every new airplane that you
do and keeps that data stored for future annuals. There is no "annual
renewal fee" unless the software radically changes.

Jim

Old August 15th 07, 09:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim Burns[_2_]

I'd love to have something like that. I've found a few "per instance"
services that will email you an N# specific pdf file based on your inputs,
but haven't found anything that will comb the FAA site..... yet.

Old August 15th 07, 11:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Blanche

RST Engineering wrote:
Exactly Blanche, and what I remember is a program that was a GUI for the FAA
site, that would go over all the ADs, TCs, and the like and be (for lack of
a better word) an indexing program from which you could pick and choose
probable applicable ADs and such.

For example (from memory, possibly not correct) the C-172E could use Slick
or Bendix mags, but only one or two model numbers of each. The program knew
this from the TC and let you select which particular mag went with the
aircraft you were inspecting. Once known (unless the mags were changed) the
program would keep that particular N number in memory and tell you next year
whether or not there were any new ADs on that particular model/serial number
you had.

Heavens, I had no idea there was anything from the FAA that was
this spiffy and useful! If anyone finds it again, let me know too!

What an annual.... The Visitor Owning 20 February 19th 07 10:32 AM
Annual Denny Owning 9 February 5th 07 10:24 PM
Off I go to help with my first annual on my C-150 NW_PILOT Owning 22 October 26th 04 11:39 PM
In for Annual Jim Weir Piloting 0 August 5th 04 07:06 PM
Safelog software/flight log software question Mark Piloting 2 December 8th 03 02:34 PM