Pilot Training Contract

Old December 28th 04, 05:40 AM
BTIZ

The original poster said nothing of FAR violations... only that he realized
that flying the line as a co-pilot for a part 121 operation was too
stressful for him.. and he decided to leave the FREE training before
graduation... now the part 121 operator wants payment for him not fulfilling
his portion of the contract... they wasted time and energy and flying costs
to not get a qualified copilot.

BT

"569" wrote in message
oups.com...
You might be stuck, but I'd call the AOPA Legal Services and ask
around. If you honestly saw some violations of FAR, you should report
them. This is a tricky subject. What if you were flying as a captain
and didn't want to fly a leg due to weather or any other issue, but
dispatch insisted the flight was safe. You are PIC, but they pay your
check. I am sure many people have died flying because of pressures
from the employer. You made the right choice.

Old December 28th 04, 06:06 AM
aluckyguess

"Bravo8500" wrote in message
oups.com...
Just go to any small airlines website and look at hiring requirements.
Most are 1500 total and 100 multi I think. Apply, and they'll have you
sign a wonderful training contract.

Well I have a way to go before I can apply.

Old December 28th 04, 03:06 PM
Bravo8500

The only FAR I had in mind would be the validity of my medical if I
find I'm under all this stress. It's probably a far stretch. What about
the fact that I was never shown a typical schedule until IOE, which
includes about 15hours in uniform for three days each?

Old December 28th 04, 10:15 PM
Colin W Kingsbury

This is a stretch but you might be able to make a claim under the Americans
with Disabilities Act if the schedule was truly going to make you unable to
maintain medical certification versus just hating your job. It might not be
the ethical thing to do but employers hate ADA cases and might very well eat
the bill rather than fight something that could blow up in their face.

oups.com...

Old December 28th 04, 11:51 PM
Gig Giacona

"Colin W Kingsbury" wrote in message
k.net...
This is a stretch but you might be able to make a claim under the
Americans
with Disabilities Act if the schedule was truly going to make you unable
maintain medical certification versus just hating your job. It might not
be
the ethical thing to do but employers hate ADA cases and might very well
eat
the bill rather than fight something that could blow up in their face.

"Bravo8500" wrote in message
oups.com...
The only FAR I had in mind would be the validity of my medical if I
find I'm under all this stress. It's probably a far stretch. What about
the fact that I was never shown a typical schedule until IOE, which
includes about 15hours in uniform for three days each?

The smart thing to do was to go to his Doctor and request medicine for the
stress on the job. Then he would have been required to report it to the FAA
and his flying days would have been over.

Old December 29th 04, 01:27 AM
NW_PILOT

"Bravo8500" wrote in message
oups.com...
How much would you guess legal fees would be if I lose - the contract
provides that they can sue for them.

Civil Judgments, Can be long and costly.

Old December 29th 04, 01:34 AM
NW_PILOT

You see that a lot in truck driving schools/company's had a friend that got
sick during a long haul job just after truck driving school went to the
hospital they kept him for 6 weeks he know has to pay for his truck driving
training, medical bills ect because of 30 day's of job abandonment was not
ann employee for 90 day for medical to kick in. It will cost him more in
attorneys fees than it would cost just to pay for the truck driving
training. I think he worked for Werner Trucking

"BTIZ" wrote in message
if you loose??

If I were a betting man.. I would say you WILL loose..

it would be better to complete the training.. work the required servitude
off.. and then quit..

they are protecting their investment.. that you get training.. and then go
work for someone else..

that is the standard contract around here.. with two small "commuter"

Ditch
Running airlines..

They provide training, type certificates.. and you fly for them for a

year..
or pay them $5000 (was the last going rate)

BT

Old December 29th 04, 02:16 AM
Ditch

The only FAR I had in mind would be the validity of my medical if I
find I'm under all this stress. It's probably a far stretch. What about
the fact that I was never shown a typical schedule until IOE, which
includes about 15hours in uniform for three days each?

Did you not do any research before you applied and signed the training
contract? You didn't talk to anyone before you signed on? 15 hour days are
typical. Big deal...I don't see the stress in that, but that is me. BTW, since
you signed the contract, they will come after you.
In the days past, it used to not be that way. But a few companies went after a
couple of pilots that did what you did...and they won! So now, every company is
trying to do this.
Good luck getting another 121 or 135 job (with someone respectable)...try
explaining that you left during IOE at an interview.

-John
*You are nothing until you have flown a Douglas, Lockheed, Grumman or North
American*
Old December 29th 04, 03:28 AM
Bravo8500

but that is me.

Yep.

Good luck getting another 121 or 135 job (with someone

respectable)...try
explaining that you left during IOE at an interview.

Disrespectable's not all bad.

Old December 29th 04, 03:45 AM
houstondan

i expect everybody is right about your chances of getting out of the
contract. you have not said but i expect it's written as an
employment OR training contract . if you decide to walk it then the
companys lawyers will try to make a guess at how much you're worth
before they stack the billing. if they give you a discovery demand
that looks like the new york phone directory then they've decided
you've got some money and 3 senior lawyers and several helpers will
show up at the first disposition, happily talking about baseball and
such.
then again....are you familiar with the term "judgment-proof"?

dan