Left Coast Mogas (Ping! Jim Weir)

Old June 20th 05, 05:06 PM
Darrel Toepfer

Default Left Coast Mogas (Ping! Jim Weir)

Gleaned from the CPA ATIS 8.24:

THE PRICE OF MOGAS IN CALIFORNIA. . .
I've been touring California for the past week and was amazed to find
Mogas in Modesto for $2.29/gal. I'm told it's the only place in
California you can get it.
Bill Whatley
Old June 20th 05, 05:18 PM
RST Engineering

I saw that in the CPA letter last week and I just haven't had the time to
call Modesto to figure out how they get pure gasoline.

Jim

t...

Old June 20th 05, 05:26 PM
Robert M. Gary

There seem to be few places in California where MOGAS is still legal.
Most of California requires additives to automotive gas that the FAA
explicity prohibits under any STC.

-Robert

Old June 20th 05, 05:44 PM
RST Engineering

Mystery solved. Modesto gets its mogas (don't call it auto gas any more
says the distributor) from an outfit called Boyett Petroleum in Modesto.
Anybody can get it from the refineries over in the Bay area or from Reno, no
problem. It is just that it is illegal to use it in automobiles, but
perfectly legal in off road vehicles. All California highway vehicles are
restricted to a 5.5% gasahol mixture or diesel.

Repeat, ANY DISTRIBUTOR can get pure mogas from the refinery in 8000 gallon
lots if they want it in California. Now the problem seems to be convincing
a few airports to go through the hassle to get it in small quantities so
that it doesn't sit for six months and break down.

Jim

ups.com...

Old June 20th 05, 06:52 PM
Robert M. Gary

I wonder if the small quantities will cause the price required to cover
the overhead of the tank, etc more than the price of the higher volume
100LL? When I had the Aeronca Chief (65hp cont) the engine ran MUCH
better on MOGAS than 100LL. The automotive detergents helped keep the
engine clean along with the hotter burning lower octane.

-Robert

Old June 21st 05, 03:35 AM
john smith

Robert M. Gary wrote:
I wonder if the small quantities will cause the price required to cover
the overhead of the tank, etc more than the price of the higher volume
100LL? When I had the Aeronca Chief (65hp cont) the engine ran MUCH
better on MOGAS than 100LL. The automotive detergents helped keep the
engine clean along with the hotter burning lower octane.

What makes you think the lower octane burns hotter?
How does the difference in octane additive make the fuel burn hotter?
Old June 21st 05, 04:52 AM

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 02:35:08 GMT, john smith wrote:

Robert M. Gary wrote:
I wonder if the small quantities will cause the price required to cover
the overhead of the tank, etc more than the price of the higher volume
100LL? When I had the Aeronca Chief (65hp cont) the engine ran MUCH
better on MOGAS than 100LL. The automotive detergents helped keep the
engine clean along with the hotter burning lower octane.

What makes you think the lower octane burns hotter?
How does the difference in octane additive make the fuel burn hotter?

Some people insist low octane fuel burns FASTER, which might put more
heat in the cyl - but I have seen info from fuel engineers
thatndisputes this theory.
Old June 21st 05, 12:00 PM
Cub Driver

The Cubs at Hampton NH airfield were STC'ed for mogas when 80 octane
became unavailable. The general feeling was that the engines had a
tendency to stall in cold weather. (They certainly did have such a
tendency, whatever the cause.) Furthermore, the instructors didn't
like the smell of it (the instructor sits in the front seat of a Cub).

Hampton still sells mogas (at one point it was cheaper on the field
than at the gas stations all around) but the STCs have been removed
and the Cubs run on 100LL.

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum:
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
the blog: www.danford.net
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com
Old June 21st 05, 01:55 PM
Allen

wrote in message
news
On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 02:35:08 GMT, john smith wrote:

Some people insist low octane fuel burns FASTER, which might put more
heat in the cyl - but I have seen info from fuel engineers
thatndisputes this theory.

I was always told the higher octane burns faster, and is consumed in a
shorter duration, thus a lower temperature.

Allen