Bush Flew Fighter Jets During Vietnam

Old July 11th 04, 06:31 PM
Steve Mellenthin

If I got wounded twice and got two Purple Hearts and a Silver Star I would do
the same thing. Anyone with a brain in their head would do the same thing.

We apparently had a lot of brainless people in Vietnam then. Ditto in WWII?
Old July 11th 04, 06:36 PM
D. Strang

"WalterM140" wrote

Always wondered about that early departure. Can anyone explain?

Anyone wounded three times could opt out.

It occurs to me that this is what the protagonist in "Platoon" does also.

Platoon is good fiction, based sort of on incidents of real life, but highly
dramatic for effect. In the script he's always called "Chris" while everyone
else has their last name or a nickname. It's common in the military to only
use a persons last name. Mail call, etc, it's just easier that way. But the
script emphasises "Chris" to signify that he is not really one of them. He's
just there for the tour, and then will get on with his life. Everyone else in
the story calls him "Taylor" but in the script he is "Chris." He opts out of
the war on his second wound, and he will accept it, because he knows he
can't take it. The war is beneath him. In the last scene he looks at "Rhah"
who, like a true Centurion, is victorious again with his walking stick and
fist, ready for the next battle, and "Chris" knows he made the right choice
to leave. He can never become a warrior, only a survivor. He murdered
the warrior who had kept him alive.

His final words a "those of us who did make it have an obligation to build
again, to teach to others what we know and to try with what's left of our
lives to find a goodness and meaning to this life"

It's the words of a murderer, who failed to become a warrior, and left the
battle. What does he have to teach? What goodness and meaning are to
be found? "Chris" becomes the spokesman for the warrior, yet he is not a
warrior, and the people he returns to do not know this. Thus the power of
this ending actually brings me to tear, it is well written. The true warriors are
just completely forgotten in life, like ants, as in this story.

Old July 11th 04, 06:38 PM
WalterM140

I think the story is, that he found out that you could request assignment
out of a war zone upon the award of three purple hearts. He then
went to sick call every time he got a scratch.

One of Senator Kerry's wounds is described in his Bronze Star citation:

http://www.johnkerry.com/about/Bronze_Star.pdf

Walt
Old July 11th 04, 06:56 PM
D. Strang

"ArtKramr" wrote

If I got wounded twice and got two Purple Hearts and a Silver Star I would do
the same thing. Anyone with a brain in their head would do the same thing.

But then you would miss your "adventure" you bragged about before joining.

The people who wouldn't do that are Generals now. Rank way above politicians.

Old July 11th 04, 07:01 PM
D. Strang

"ArtKramr" wrote

And he was a "C: student through school. Not exactly the most coloful crayon in
the box.

I don't know what your grades were, but neither of us have never been Governor,
or President, so I guess the grades don't mean much in real life, do they?

Old July 11th 04, 07:25 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Steve Mellenthin" wrote in message

Always wondered about that early departure. Can anyone explain?

Three Purple Hearts got one an early out from Vietnam. It appears Kerry's
first one was not earned.

Old July 11th 04, 07:28 PM
WalterM140

He opts out of
the war on his second wound,

As I recall, Chris was wounded three times, and so was the one black soldier
who stabbed himself in the thigh after the big attack.

Walt
Old July 11th 04, 07:46 PM
WalterM140

Three Purple Hearts got one an early out from Vietnam. It appears Kerry's
first one was not earned.

Here's the link:

http://www.johnkerry.com/about/Purpl...1_Citation.pdf

Walt

Bush's guard record JDKAHN Home Built 13 October 3rd 04 09:38 PM
Two MOH Winners say Bush Didn't Serve WalterM140 Military Aviation 196 June 14th 04 11:33 PM
bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 04:26 PM