Bush Flew Fighter Jets During Vietnam

Old July 11th 04, 08:54 PM
BUFDRVR

Dan wrote:

If going into actual combat is all that makes a man respectable then it's
safe
to assume you don't respect your ground crew and all the men who put you in a
servicable airplane. Someone had to be cooks, clerical staff, truck
drivers..etc.

Have not read Art's stuff before? He doesn't respect the service of the above
mentioned personnel.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old July 11th 04, 08:58 PM
D. Strang

"Steve Mellenthin" wrote

I get the feeling somehow that our friend JFkerry wasn't as committed to
service as he was to self. Sorta seems as if he couldn't wait to get back to
the States to campaign and help out his little friend Janie.

It's telling that a soldier like Senator Dole quit the senate to run for President,
and JFKerry who is keeping a backup plan. His attendance record is really
hurting his state, but it is another form of self-service.

Old July 12th 04, 12:34 AM
Bill Shatzer

Ed Rasimus ) writes:

-snip-

And, you really might want to look up the duration of Mr. Gore's
overseas assignment.

Everything I've seen sez it was early January, '71 through late
May, '71 with a scheduled discharge date of August 5, '71.

You have information to the contrary?

Here's a quote: "When they finally came, he would spend less than
five months in Vietnam, arriving on Jan. 8, 1971, to write newspaper
and magazine articles. He was discharged on May 24, 1971." (The
Washington Times National Weekly Edition Nov. 28 - Dec. 4, 1994)

I said Gore spent 151 days of a year tour. You replied that he only
got a two-month curtailment. The difference would be 151 days
(Jan-May???) versus 10 months x 30 days or 300 days. I think the
Washington Times dates, my statement, and your "Everything I've seen
sez" all indicate that your asssertion of a two month curtailment was
incorrect. So, we have information to the contrary.

I'm really trying to understand your point, Ed, and I'm apparently
missing it completely. Gore had, at most, a seven month tour.

Gove's enlistment was up on August 5, 1971. As I don't think they
were doing "stop-loses" in that era and certainly not for folks
with journalist MOSs, Gove was NOT going to be in VN after
early August in any event.

If he was discharged May 24, he served in VN two months and 12
days less than the maximum he might have served there.

As to why he didn't arrive in VN until January 8, that would seem
a differnet question but one which seems largely irrelevant.

There seems little dispute that he in fact -did- volunteer
for assignment to VN. It was certainly not unknown for the
Army bureaucracy to take its own sweet time between the receipt
of a re-assignment request and the time the orders were actually
cut.

Cheers,

--

"Cave ab homine unius libri"
Old July 12th 04, 02:01 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Bill Shatzer" wrote in message

I had thought that was exactly the problem with the F-102;
that it was NOT area ruled.

The YF-102 was not area ruled, the YF-102A and later models were.

My quick and dirty reference (the one which most readily
falls to hand) indicates that the F-102 had a max speed
of 825 mph with a J57-P engine,

The F-106 is listed with a max speed of 1,530 mph with the
the same J57-P engine.

Something has to be going on there with the aerodynamics to
account for an 85% increase in speed with essentially the
same engine producing essentially the same thrust.

They didn't use the same engine, the F-106 used the J75-P-17.

Bush's guard record JDKAHN Home Built 13 October 3rd 04 09:38 PM
Two MOH Winners say Bush Didn't Serve WalterM140 Military Aviation 196 June 14th 04 11:33 PM
bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 04:26 PM