GE-DUNK

Old February 2nd 07, 12:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
B.C. MALLAM

Default GE-DUNK

Someone ask me where the term GE-DUNK (sp) came from, I know it has been
talked about on this forum but I can't remember, Help.

Old February 2nd 07, 02:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Boomerang

From Naval Historical Facts:
GEEDUNK - To most sailors the word geedunk means ice cream, candy, potato
chips and other assorted snacks, or even the place where they can be
purchased. No one, however, knows for certain where the term originated, but
there are several plausible theories:

1.) In the 1920's a comic strip character named Harold Teen and his friends
spent a great amount of time at Pop's candy store. The store's owner called
it The Geedunk for reasons never explained.

2.) The Chinese word meaning a place of idleness sounds something like gee
dung.

3.) Geedunk is the sound made by a vending machine when it dispenses a soft
drink in a cup.

4.) It may be derived from the German word tunk meaning to dip or sop either
in gravy or coffee. Dunking was a common practice in days when bread, not
always obtained fresh, needed a bit of tunking to soften it. The ge is a
German unaccented prefix denoting repetition. In time it may have changed
from getunk to geedunk. Whatever theory we use to explain geedunk's origin,
it doesn't alter the fact that Navy people are glad it all got started.

Old February 2nd 07, 03:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
vincent p. norris

From Naval Historical Facts:
GEEDUNK - To most sailors the word geedunk means ice cream, candy, potato
chips and other assorted snacks....

IIRC, when I was in the Marines, half a century ago, gedunk" meant
mostly ice cream. We used "pogey bait" to refer to candy and other
"room temperature" and solid junk food.

vince norris
Old February 2nd 07, 06:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
nmg175

"vincent p. norris" wrote in message
From Naval Historical Facts:
GEEDUNK - To most sailors the word geedunk means ice cream, candy, potato
chips and other assorted snacks....

IIRC, when I was in the Marines, half a century ago, gedunk" meant
mostly ice cream. We used "pogey bait" to refer to candy and other
"room temperature" and solid junk food.

vince norris

The name is allegedly derived from the "gee-dunk" sound which vending
machines installed there made when operated.