Flew a seaplane

Old August 25th 04, 04:13 AM
Michael 182

Does that include the checkride?

"CFLav8r" wrote in message
om...
"Michael 182" wrote in message ...
Way more, I assume. A BFR runs around $50 (assuming you own the plane).

You
can throw in an IPC for an additional $30 or so, maybe cheaper. Assuming

you
need to rent a seaplane, it would probably cost at least $1,500 for the
time, training and checkride to get the SES.

Here in Florida there is a seaplane school called Jack Browns that is
located in Winter Haven.
The school charges $975 for a two day course to get your seaplane rating

in
their
Piper J3s on floats with Continental 85 hp engines.
They also offer a multiengine rating, but I'm not sure of the price.
You can check them out at: http://www.gate.net/~seaplane/index.htm

David PP-ASEL IA-Student (KORL)

Old August 25th 04, 04:29 AM
Robert M. Gary

"Michael 182" wrote in message news:goOWc.37619$9d6.3762@attbi_s54...
Way more, I assume. A BFR runs around $50 (assuming you own the plane). You
can throw in an IPC for an additional $30 or so, maybe cheaper. Assuming you
need to rent a seaplane, it would probably cost at least $1,500 for the
time, training and checkride to get the SES.

I just did an IPC with a local CFI. Normally I ride with the local DE
every 6 months because I'm a CFI and I like to know what he likes. So
he sends me to this guy with a CFII ticket that was still wet. We flew
for 2 hours and the guy proceeded to charge me $200!!! (We flew in my
plane). He said that was with the "professional discount" because I'm
a CFI too. Check the price before had.

-Robert, CFI
Old August 25th 04, 04:29 AM
Robert M. Gary

chris priest wrote in message ...
Robert M. Gary wrote:
Isn' it great! The rating isn't very hard (usually can be done in 2
days) and counts as your BFR.

Does it cost much more than a normal BFR? If not, then I think I'll do
this for my next BFR.

Figure around $1500.
Old August 25th 04, 11:08 AM
Cub Driver

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 13:24:09 GMT, "Michael 182"
wrote:

On second thought, a Piper Super Cruiser. Is this a kind of Cub?

Well, I don't really think so, but as time rolls on the distinction
becomes less and less important In any event, it grew out of the
prewar J-5, which was in fact called a Cub Cruiser.

I saw a Super Cruiser or some variant of it, taking off from Hampton
NH last Sunday. Very pretty plane.

Thanks for the address. I'll look them up!

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
Expedition sailboat charters www.expeditionsail.com
Old August 25th 04, 03:52 PM
Doug

I just put my Husky on Amphibs, and I'm in Colorado! There are some
pictures of my Husky on Jay Honecks website. I'm at Boulder if you
want to look me up, though I'll be out of town for most of September
as I am going to Maine Seaplane Flyin, then up to Prince Edward Island
etc.

"Michael 182" wrote in message news:2qzWc.58136$mD.51399@attbi_s02...
Just returned from a vacation renting a house on a Long Lake in Naples, ME.
Got out for a two hour seaplane lesson from Naples Seaplane Service. What a
great experience!

I have about 1200 hours in 182's, so my seat of the pants flying is pretty
weak. I was flying a Piper Cub, and the first thing the instructor, Mary,
said was ignore the instruments - seaplane flying is all about feel. Suffice
to say that two hours was not long enough to get the feel.

We taxied out into the main channel, giving way to the Songo River Queen, a
large paddle boat that tours the lakes and loomed over us. The upper and
lower decks of the boat were loaded with tourists watching me flounder about
(pun intended) during my first water taxi. Hopefully they didn't have a
clue.

Mary did the first take off with my hands on the controls for a little
hopeful osmosis. We got to altitude, completed a power on and power off
stall so she had some confidence I wasn't going to kill her on the first
landing, and went off to a neighboring lake to play. Boats were everywhere.
Mary's comment was pretty much to ignore the boats - if they were still in
the way on short final we'd go around, but if you worry too much about them
on downwind you'll never land. After checking out the "landing strip" with
an overflight, I landed without any problem. I was amazed at how quickly we
stopped. Accelerate straight ahead, get on the step, flew off the water.
This is easy, no problem...

The next landing was a bit more of a wake up. (Pun not intended, but now
that it's there...) A boat wake crossed the runway just after touchdown. It
felt like we were landing across furrows in a field, until Mary hit some
power and jumped over the moguls.

We did another six or seven take offs and landings - enough to convince
myself that if I ever leave dry Colorado I'll get a plane that can cruise
from lake to lake. In the meantime, I strongly suggest an hour or two with
Mary to add some fun experience to your flying resume.

Michael

Old August 26th 04, 01:52 PM
William W. Plummer

Robert M. Gary wrote:

Robert M. Gary wrote:

Isn' it great! The rating isn't very hard (usually can be done in 2
days) and counts as your BFR.

Does it cost much more than a normal BFR? If not, then I think I'll do
this for my next BFR.

Figure around $1500.

Rates seem to vary widely. I got my rating at Northwoods Aviation in
Cadillac, Michigan for under $800 (including a 1-year membership in
the Seaplane Pilots Association). SPA has a good database of seaplane
training that allows you to make some comparisons.

http://www.seaplanes.org/training/index.htm

By far some of the most fun flying I have ever done (and that includes
a launch off an aircraft carrier)!

This rate ($1500) includes checkride and books. However, its also in
Calfornia dollars.

-Robert

Seaplanes are fun. I spent every Saturday morning for a summer
learning from a crusty, old, retired ATP. As a side benefit, it is good
preparation for working on an instrument rating because you learn to do
a very precise ("glassy water") approach and landing.

I gather seaplane pilots all want to be bush pilots and set up a shack
on Lake Hood outside Anchorage. They will take fearless hunters into
the wilderness, drop them off and return in a week or two to see if they
find animal or human bodies. Sometimes this means landing on very small
ponds and the getting the plane out later on and this could mean
accelerating "on the step" in a circle, inducing a bow wave to pop off
the surface, or going up on one float.

And then there are techiques that one might need in the middle of
nowhere. "What do you do if you are hundreds of miles away from
anywhere and are really low on oil?" I couldn't guess. The answer
was, "Steal it from somebody's car!"

So flying seaplanes is real hairy-chested stuff. But it is fun. I
haven't used my rating because I found out that insurance is very
expensive and most places won't rent to you unless you have about 200
hours with them. Plus, salt water is really tough on airplanes no
matter how thoroughly you clean them. I suspect that reflects as
increased rental prices.