Diamond DA-40

Old April 27th 04, 02:44 PM
Chuck

Default Diamond DA-40

Hi, all,

Does anyone have any experience with the Daimond DA-40-180? We saw one
at Sun 'n Fun and we're thinking of buying it.

TIA, Chuck
Old April 27th 04, 02:55 PM
Markus Voget

Chuck wrote:

Does anyone have any experience with the Daimond DA-40-180? We saw one
at Sun 'n Fun and we're thinking of buying it.

While I cannot claim much experience (except for a short flight in the
Diesel version of the DA40, which a liked a lot), I can recommend the
following extensive report on-line:
http://philip.greenspun.com/flying/diamond-da40

Greetings,
Markus
Old April 27th 04, 05:37 PM
Thomas Borchert

Chuck,

Yes. Wonderful airplane. It's not a "Lexus of the air", the glider
heritage shows. But it's still great. Visibility is unbeatable. Access
to the cabin (both back and front) is marvelous - if it is not raining.
If it is, you're in a real hurry because of the open canopy.

When there's just two aboard, folding down the backseats gives an
absolutely cavernous baggage area with that huge folding door in the
back. Loading mountain bikes or similarly bulky stuff would be a snap.
It flies and handles very well.

The seats are not adjustable, only the pedals are. The KAP autopilot is
not something I really like, I prefer the S-TEC.

You might want to read Aviation Consumer on the plane and their
comparison to the SR20, which is basically similar in pricing, if you
equip both the same. Bottom line that I took away: The DA40 is more fun
to fly, the SR20 is the more serious travel machine.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old April 27th 04, 09:04 PM
Dude

Unless he has updated it, that article is no longer relevent in many
respects.

Diamond has made many changes in the plane since that was written. Also, I
am told that the Aviation Consumer article used one of the first few made
for their testing as well.

I have flown an older one (2001) and a newer one (2004) and there is a lot
of difference in comfort and a bit in speed. It would take about $ 5,000 to
$8,000 to update an older one, and then you could update the prop when the 3
blade wore out.

Interestingly, I had a hard time with the conclusion that Aviation Consumer
came to. If you read the words, they seem to like the Diamond better, but
the score gave the nod to Cirrus. IIRC they gave the same points to both
planes on safety, which may have made a difference, and appears to be
anything but correct.

I would say that if you are a serious pilot that uses the plane for serious
travel, then the SR20 may win on the mission. If you are realisticly using
the plane for more fun flying, experience getting, and shorter hops then the
Diamond will definitely win. Mission is important here, and most people
overestimate their serious use percentage as part of the rationalization to
buy in the first place.

Lastly, if you are the type whose head is not always 100% in the cockpit -
buy the Diamond!

Old April 27th 04, 09:42 PM
Brian Sponcil

I was looking on aso.com and noticed that the price difference between a
2004 DA-40 and a 1999/2000 is around $100,000. As you point out, the 2004
model has been improved upon but it seems like you'd still come out 90k
ahead buying a 1999 model and updating it. Perhaps there's more to it than
I realize. FWIW - the only DA-40 owner I've talked to absolutely loved his.

-Brian
Iowa City, IA

Old April 28th 04, 08:37 AM
Chuck

Thanks everyone for your replies. They are much appreciated.

I tried the Cirrus, but my knees kept hitting the upper part of the
panel, so I don't think I'd be comfortable in that plane.

I do plan to do some serious travelling in it, but first must start
working toward that IFR rating.

Thanks again,

Chuck

Old April 28th 04, 06:51 PM
Malcolm Teas

Thomas Borchert wrote in message ...
...The seats are not adjustable, only the pedals are. The KAP autopilot is
not something I really like, I prefer the S-TEC. ...

I'm told at the place I rent (where they have a DA40 and a DA20) that
the distance from the seat to the pedals is the same in both models.
I rent the DA20 and am 6 foot 3 inches. It's a nice plane, but a
little small for me. A long cross country in that might get
uncomfortable.

-Malcolm Teas
Old April 29th 04, 02:23 AM

I had a tour of the Diamond factory...

To say I was impressed would be an understatement...

...built like a tank.....the workmanship on internals that
you cannot see in the finished aircraft was impeccable..

These people take their jobs and their product VERY
seriously...

Dave

Old April 29th 04, 04:31 PM
Aaron Coolidge

Chuck wrote:
: Hi, all,

: Does anyone have any experience with the Daimond DA-40-180? We saw one
: at Sun 'n Fun and we're thinking of buying it.

: TIA, Chuck

Do check the range, as the fuel tanks seem to be rather small.
--
Aaron Coolidge (N9376J)
Old April 29th 04, 06:59 PM
TTA Cherokee Driver

Aaron Coolidge wrote:

Chuck wrote:
: Hi, all,

: Does anyone have any experience with the Daimond DA-40-180? We saw one
: at Sun 'n Fun and we're thinking of buying it.

: TIA, Chuck

Do check the range, as the fuel tanks seem to be rather small.

All the better to improve the full-fuel payload number! (ducking)