OLC and Cambridge 10/20/25 support ending

Old December 3rd 11, 05:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy Clark, \B6\

Default OLC and Cambridge 10/20/25 support ending

I was an early (and remain a) strong supporter of the OLC - gave the
first OLC presentation to the Seattle Glider Council (SGC) - for
stimulating growth in cross-country soaring. Check-out the increase
in SGC participation over the life of the OLC!

As a Cambridge 20 user, I lament the end of OLC support. However, I
do not want to replace my Cambridge 20 - L-NAV - PDA with Glide
Navigator II installation.

Getting ready to make my wish list for Santa and would appreciate
recommendations for a back-up system that will likely remain
compatible with the OLC system.

Thanks in advance.

Old December 3rd 11, 07:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
S. Murry

Roy,
I've been using XCSoar running on my Android phone. It works great for
OLC, and Santa will be happy beacuse it's free (if you have an Android
device).

Somebody mentioned on here that OLC won't score an XC Soar generated IGC
file for "OLC League" (I think). I'm not sure about this because I've
never tried it. But for logging flight, posting to OLC, and getting
scored it works great.

--Stefan

--
Stefan Murry
Old December 3rd 11, 08:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob

On Dec 3, 10:59*am, "Roy Clark, \"B6\"" wrote:
I was an early (and remain a) strong supporter of the OLC - gave the
first OLC presentation to the Seattle Glider Council (SGC) *- *for
stimulating growth in cross-country soaring. *Check-out the increase
in SGC participation over the life of the OLC!

As a Cambridge 20 user, I lament the end of OLC support. *However, I
do not want to replace my Cambridge 20 - L-NAV - PDA with Glide
Navigator II installation.

Getting ready to make my wish list for Santa and would appreciate
recommendations for a back-up system that will likely remain
compatible with the OLC system.

Thanks in advance.

The stand-alone flywithce recorder is very small and very inexpensive,
and it works for OLC.
Old December 4th 11, 07:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

On Dec 3, 12:45*pm, Bob wrote:
On Dec 3, 10:59*am, "Roy Clark, \"B6\"" wrote:

I was an early (and remain a) strong supporter of the OLC - gave the
first OLC presentation to the Seattle Glider Council (SGC) *- *for
stimulating growth in cross-country soaring. *Check-out the increase
in SGC participation over the life of the OLC!

As a Cambridge 20 user, I lament the end of OLC support. *However, I
do not want to replace my Cambridge 20 - L-NAV - PDA with Glide
Navigator II installation.

Getting ready to make my wish list for Santa and would appreciate
recommendations for a back-up system that will likely remain
compatible with the OLC system.

Thanks in advance.

The stand-alone flywithce recorder is very small and very inexpensive,
and it works for OLC.

I believe just about every flight computer software generates an OLC
compatible IGC file, unless you fly a motorglider and need ENL
(workaround is to claim as pure glider with the same handicap
instead...)

Ramy
Old December 4th 11, 07:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
4Q

On Dec 3, 11:08*pm, Ramy wrote:
On Dec 3, 12:45*pm, Bob wrote:

[...]

Ramy- Hide quoted text -

hi Roy
I think the power flarm is an igc approved logger???????????? 4Q
Old December 4th 11, 02:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Paynter[_2_]

On Dec 3, 12:59*pm, "Roy Clark, \"B6\"" wrote:
I was an early (and remain a) strong supporter of the OLC - gave the
first OLC presentation to the Seattle Glider Council (SGC) *- *for
stimulating growth in cross-country soaring. *Check-out the increase
in SGC participation over the life of the OLC!

As a Cambridge 20 user, I lament the end of OLC support. *However, I
do not want to replace my Cambridge 20 - L-NAV - PDA with Glide
Navigator II installation.

Getting ready to make my wish list for Santa and would appreciate
recommendations for a back-up system that will likely remain
compatible with the OLC system.

Thanks in advance.

Check out SoarPilot (http://soaringpilot.org/). It's free and has
known OLC support/registration. It runs natively on any Palm OS
product (best is a Tungsten T/Magellan GPS Companion combination), but
will run on any Windows PDA using StyleTap. Best of all it is free
and is very well supported.

Regards,

Frank (TA)
Old December 4th 11, 02:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Derek Mackie

I borrowed a Nano as a backup for Uvalde Glide and was impressed with
its simple operation. The Colibri II seems to also be a good option,
though neither are "cheap". The Colibri is currently on sale as they
clear stock. Any of these should be nearly a direct replacement for
the LX20. Inexpensive alternatives are as mentioned above - most of
the current PDA software will generate files acceptable for IGC (GNII
is an exception) and all you need is the GPS source, which you already
have with the LX20.

Cheers,

Derek
Old December 4th 11, 08:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy Clark, \B6\

Thanks to all who have or still will reply.

I'm not interested is changing my current cell phone nor my current
Cambridge 20 - L-Nav - Ipaq running GN II software system.

The Nano seems the easiest of the options so far.

Old December 5th 11, 04:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Dec 4, 2:53*pm, "Roy Clark, \"B6\"" wrote:
Thanks to all who have or still will reply.

I'm not interested is changing my current cell phone nor my current
Cambridge 20 - L-Nav - Ipaq running GN II software system.

The Nano seems the easiest of the options so far.

if all you need is a logger to make something to upload to the OLC
then you should go with the FlywithCE. Easy on/off button and that is
all there is to the operation. $120 or so through various vendors.
Nano will come in handy though if you want to go for a world record,
which your Cambridge cannot do. Otherwise you could find something
more productive to do with the extra $400
Old December 5th 11, 08:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Derek Mackie

No PDA generated files are acceptable to IGC. Do you mean acceptable to
OLC?

Oops - Yes. Sorry. I shouldn't start drinking so early... ;-)

Derek