GET SOME! Bush is Toast

Old September 21st 04, 07:18 AM
Guinnog65

"B2431" wrote in message
From: "Guinnog65" lid
Date: 9/20/2004 6:45 PM Central Daylight Time
"B2431" wrote in message
From: "Guinnog65"
lid
Date: 9/20/2004 5:01 PM Central Daylight Time
"Steve R." wrote in message
news:jQt_c.1192$Va5.918@trnddc01...

I read that and wonderd who could write such a bunch of BS and
actually
believe it, then I saw who wrote it. All made sense then.
Steve R.
(son of Democrats turned Repubs in the 60's. Been to the sandbox,
going
back
in 6mo. Believes in what we're doing there

Including the prisoner abuse? Including targetting civilians?

Hopefully the prisoner abuse has been stopped.

Hopefully.

If a civilian bears arms against
coalotion or Iraqui forces he's a valid target. If a bad guy hides
behind
civilians then it's his fault the civilians get greased.

Right.

As for civilians dancing on recently attacked military vehicles just how
is the
guy in the Apache to know they aren't the ones that attacked or aren't
still
attacking the vehicles?

Er... common sense?

I can tell you have never been in combat. I have and can tell you if I
found
anyone on or near a recently shot up U.S. military vehicle, whether they
were
openly armed or not, it's a good assumption they had something to do with
the
attack and are then valid targets.

Including the journalists? I wouldn't agree with that. Was your combat
experience by any chance in the US's little adventure in SE Asia that so
dominates US politics to this day? If it was, maybe you should ask yourself
if applying the same strategies as you did there is really such a good idea?

If they were there a day later common sense
would say they weren't. Bear in mind the bad guys in Iraq are not wearing
uniforms. If you don't understand the ramifications of the read the Geneva
Conventions.

I am familiar with the Geneva Conventions. Where does it say you are allowed
to kill unarmed civilians if you *think* they are sympathetic to the
opposition? Surely common sense would tell you that by doing this you merely
guarantee the opposition a fresh supply of recruits? This seems obvious to
me.

There are risks to being stupid in a war zone.

As the US policy makers are finding out. At the cost, unfortunately of a
lot
of US troops and an even greater number of Iraqi civilians.

All of which could end today if the insurgents laid down their weapons as
ordered by the occupation forces and Interim government.

True. My money is that they won't though. Why would they do that when they
are doing so well? I don't think the puppet, sorry "interim" government has
too much credibility in anybody's eyes outside the US!

If you really cared about the loss of life you would spend as much effort
telling the other side to stop shooting as you do blaming the U.S. forces.

I suspect they may not read Usenet!

I am not saying neither you nor the Iraqis should be happy with the
invasion
and occupation, but take a look at what is actually happening there, not
just
the negative news.

Fair point. If at any time the US invasion force does something I approve
of, I'll let you know.

Old September 21st 04, 10:01 AM
B2431

From: "Guinnog65" lid
Date: 9/21/2004 1:18 AM Central Daylight Time
From: "Guinnog65"
lid
Date: 9/20/2004 6:45 PM Central Daylight Time
From: "Guinnog65"
lid
Date: 9/20/2004 5:01 PM Central Daylight Time
"Steve R." wrote in message

[...]

If the jouralists were that close to a military action then they were too close
or not under cover. Accidents happen. Please don't try to suggest they were
targeted as a result of U.S. policy because it isn't true. All that happens
when journalists are deliberately targeted is bad press.

Was your combat
experience by any chance in the US's little adventure in SE Asia that so
dominates US politics to this day? If it was, maybe you should ask yourself
if applying the same strategies as you did there is really such a good idea?

What strategy do you refer to? It was a tactical action. My combat experience
is at the tactical level. Please don't confuse the terms.

If they were there a day later common sense
would say they weren't. Bear in mind the bad guys in Iraq are not wearing
uniforms. If you don't understand the ramifications of the read the Geneva
Conventions.

I am familiar with the Geneva Conventions. Where does it say you are allowed
to kill unarmed civilians if you *think* they are sympathetic to the
opposition?

I didn't say that it did. I said the enemy isn't wearing uniforms. The Geneva
Convention allows killing civilians bearing arms against you. If unarmed
civilians enter a valid target, in this case the vehicle and its immediate
vicinity, they put themselves at risk. I seriously doubt the Appache crew was
aware the people on the vehicle were unarmed.

Surely common sense would tell you that by doing this you merely
guarantee the opposition a fresh supply of recruits? This seems obvious to
me.

You keep using the term "common sense" so you really should apply it to
yourself as well. The U.S. military has gone out of its way to reduce civilian
casualties and colateral damage. When the bad guys fire from mosques they can
be legitimately targeted. You haven't seen that done by U.S. forces.

There is not now, never been or is there going to be a U.S. policy of targeting
innocent civilians. To do so is counter productive as you say.

There are risks to being stupid in a war zone.

As the US policy makers are finding out. At the cost, unfortunately of a
lot
of US troops and an even greater number of Iraqi civilians.

All of which could end today if the insurgents laid down their weapons as
ordered by the occupation forces and Interim government.

True. My money is that they won't though. Why would they do that when they
are doing so well? I don't think the puppet, sorry "interim" government has
too much credibility in anybody's eyes outside the US!

If you really cared about the loss of life you would spend as much effort
telling the other side to stop shooting as you do blaming the U.S. forces.

I suspect they may not read Usenet!

You missed the point. You have criticised the U.S. forces, but not the bad guys
who slowly saw hostage's heads off or blow up innocent children with car bombs.

I am not saying neither you nor the Iraqis should be happy with the
invasion
and occupation, but take a look at what is actually happening there, not
just
the negative news.

Fair point. If at any time the US invasion force does something I approve
of, I'll let you know.

I take it you don't approve of getting rid of hussein, improving the
infrastructure in most of Iraq, allowing a relatively free press, cell phones,
internet access, access to international news etc?

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old September 21st 04, 10:36 AM
Guinnog65

"B2431" wrote in message

snip

[...]

Hear hear. Killing journalists is bad. If it was deliberate policy, it was
bad policy. If it was accidental it shows poor discipline and/or lax ROE.

Was your combat
experience by any chance in the US's little adventure in SE Asia that so
dominates US politics to this day? If it was, maybe you should ask
yourself
if applying the same strategies as you did there is really such a good
idea?

What strategy do you refer to? It was a tactical action. My combat
experience
is at the tactical level. Please don't confuse the terms.

I try not to. It was you who brought up your combat experience as
(presumably) giving you a more informed opinion on these matters.

I think a major problem in Iraq has been the apparent total *lack* of any
overall postwar strategy. In this absence, mistaken tactical decisions like
the one we are talking about become perceived as a strategy.

[...]

So do you honestly believe the Apache crew who fired on the crowd believed
themselves to be under threat? It is very hard to see that from my reading
of the events...

Surely common sense would tell you that by doing this you merely
guarantee the opposition a fresh supply of recruits? This seems obvious to
me.

You keep using the term "common sense" so you really should apply it to
yourself as well. The U.S. military has gone out of its way to reduce
civilian
casualties and colateral damage.

Well, I'd like to see that but to be honest I cannot see the evidence for
this from the events of the last year.

When the bad guys fire from mosques they can
be legitimately targeted. You haven't seen that done by U.S. forces.

There is not now, never been or is there going to be a U.S. policy of
targeting
innocent civilians. To do so is counter productive as you say.

Yes. But the massive and uncounted civilian casualties in the war have,
whether intended or not, helped lead us to the present chaotic and unhappy
situation.

[...]

I absolutely and without reservation condemn these tactics too. The
difficulty is, they are only answerable to their own. *We* on the other hand
are supposed to be fighting to give them something better. We are supposed
to set a higher example. We are supposed to be trying to win 'hearts and
minds'. At the moment that is not being seen to happen.

I am not saying neither you nor the Iraqis should be happy with the
invasion
and occupation, but take a look at what is actually happening there, not
just
the negative news.

Fair point. If at any time the US invasion force does something I approve
of, I'll let you know.

I take it you don't approve of getting rid of hussein, improving the
infrastructure in most of Iraq, allowing a relatively free press, cell
phones,
internet access, access to international news etc?

Getting rid of Hussein was a good thing. The other freedoms you refer to
will not count for much until or unless there is law and order and an end to
killing. It is a reflection on how things have gone since the invasion that
so many Iraqis will support the terrorists. It is a worse one that many
Iraqis actually regret the passing of Hussein. If that isn't a vote of no
confidence, what is it?

Old September 21st 04, 05:13 PM
B2431

From: "Guinnog65" lid
Date: 9/21/2004 4:36 AM Central Daylight Time
"B2431" wrote in message

snip

[...]

Or, as I said, he was in the wrong place. All the discipline in the world won't
prevent innocent people from getting killed in war. Your anti American bias is
showing.

Was your combat
experience by any chance in the US's little adventure in SE Asia that so
dominates US politics to this day? If it was, maybe you should ask
yourself
if applying the same strategies as you did there is really such a good
idea?

What strategy do you refer to? It was a tactical action. My combat
experience
is at the tactical level. Please don't confuse the terms.

I try not to. It was you who brought up your combat experience as
(presumably) giving you a more informed opinion on these matters.

I brought it up because unlike you, I know what can happen when things get hot.
Bad things happen to good people. These things happen. It doesn't mean the good
people were targeted.

I think a major problem in Iraq has been the apparent total *lack* of any
overall postwar strategy. In this absence, mistaken tactical decisions like
the one we are talking about become perceived as a strategy.

How was it a mistake? You don't know what all the facts are other than an
airstrike was called, the situation was still in flux and shots were fired.
Your anti military bias is showing.

[...]

Again, you have no idea about how the system works. I never said the Apache was
under threat. It doesn't matter that he felt under fire, he was responding to a
call for assistance from a ground force that WAS attacked. Your anti military
bias is showing.

[...]

The war would be over if the bad guys stopped shooting. Stop blaming the U.S.
for everything gone wrong.

[...]

If everything settles down in 6 months and Iraq is at peace will you come back
and tell us the U.S. did a good thing?

It is a reflection on how things have gone since the invasion that
so many Iraqis will support the terrorists. It is a worse one that many
Iraqis actually regret the passing of Hussein. If that isn't a vote of no
confidence, what is it?

OK, let's revisit another war for a moment. The vast majority of the Soviet
populace hated Stalin. Many initially welcomed Hitler's invasion. Almost to a
person the Soviets banded together to expel and invader. This happens in almost
every invaded country situation. Look at the coalition that expelled Sadam from
Kuwait and how nations that didn't get along with each other did so for the
cause.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Old September 21st 04, 06:50 PM
Guinnog65

"B2431" wrote in message

(snip defensive pro US stuff)

Getting rid of Hussein was a good thing. The other freedoms you refer to
will not count for much until or unless there is law and order and an end
killing.

If everything settles down in 6 months and Iraq is at peace will you come
back
and tell us the U.S. did a good thing?

Oh yes. No problem. And if green men come and ask me to take them to my
leader, I'll be prepared for that too!

It is a reflection on how things have gone since the invasion that
so many Iraqis will support the terrorists. It is a worse one that many
Iraqis actually regret the passing of Hussein. If that isn't a vote of no
confidence, what is it?

OK, let's revisit another war for a moment. The vast majority of the
Soviet
populace hated Stalin. Many initially welcomed Hitler's invasion. Almost
to a
person the Soviets banded together to expel and invader. This happens in
almost
every invaded country situation. Look at the coalition that expelled Sadam
from
Kuwait and how nations that didn't get along with each other did so for
the
cause.

Wow! So you are comparing the US forces with the Wehrmacht? And you call
*me* anti-American! (I am not, btw, I am anti this illegal invasion)

They do have the same helmets I suppose...

Old September 21st 04, 08:24 PM
B2431

From: "Guinnog65" lid
Date: 9/21/2004 12:50 PM Central Daylight Time
"B2431" wrote in message

(snip defensive pro US stuff)

Good, and you also snipped your own uninformed commentary.

[...]

Did I say that? I was comparing the Soviet reaction to the invasion.

And you call
*me* anti-American! (I am not, btw, I am anti this illegal invasion)

The invasion was perfectly legal since sadam defied a dozen UN resolutions,
abrogated his own agreements with the U.S. and had consistanly been shooting at
U.S. and British aircraft that were enforcing the no fly zones sadam agreed
to.

They do have the same helmets I suppose...

The helmets don't even look anything alike.
Nice try.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old September 21st 04, 09:50 PM
Guinnog65

From: "Guinnog65" lid
Date: 9/21/2004 12:50 PM Central Daylight Time
"B2431" wrote in message

[...]

So you would consider the Iraqis the invaders? In their own country? A
somewht unusual way of looking at things!

And you call
*me* anti-American! (I am not, btw, I am anti this illegal invasion)

The invasion was perfectly legal since sadam defied a dozen UN
resolutions,
abrogated his own agreements with the U.S. and had consistanly been
shooting at
U.S. and British aircraft that were enforcing the no fly zones sadam
agreed
to.

Not a point of view shared by Kofi Annan of the UN. Nor by the majority of
people I talk to.

There was a thing mentioned a lot at the time of the war about WMDs. Now
that this justification for the war has turned out to be false, do you still
have no problem at all about the war's legality?

They do have the same helmets I suppose...

The helmets don't even look anything alike.

I think they look very similar. And like alot of the Nazi kit, it was a very
good design.

Nice try.

Thank you!

Old September 21st 04, 10:36 PM
B2431

From: "Guinnog65" lid
Date: 9/21/2004 3:50 PM Central Daylight Time
From: "Guinnog65"
lid
Date: 9/21/2004 12:50 PM Central Daylight Time
"B2431" wrote in message

[...]

Since you insist on not reading what I wrote this discussion is closed.

[...]

In my collection I have one of each type of German steel helmet to see
production. I also have the current U.S. helmet. They do not look alike. This
discussion is closed.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old September 21st 04, 11:02 PM
Guinnog65

"B2431" wrote in message

(snip)

[...]

(unanswered)

[...]

Ok. As a certain contributor to this NG used to say, thanks for playing!

Enjoy your helmet collection.

Old September 22nd 04, 04:01 AM
BUFDRVR

Guinnog65 wrote:

How dare you tell me what I do and don't care about.

You told me by your posts.

How dare you tell me I
wish Hussein
was still in power.

You said you were concerned for Iraqi citzens in regards to U.S. military
strikes, you never mentioned the alternative. Sounds to me like you support the
alternative.

Butcha don't gotta love the no-brain, other-people's-children-die redneck
neocons. Oh no.

I love when you anger these people and they break out "neocon". I've seen Iraq
in person. Have you?

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"

Bush's guard record JDKAHN Home Built 13 October 3rd 04 09:38 PM
George W. Bush Abortion Scandal that should have been Psalm 110 Military Aviation 0 August 12th 04 09:40 AM
bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 05:26 PM