Obsolete weapons

Old August 21st 04, 07:39 AM
tgueguen

Default Obsolete weapons

"u don't have to know" wrote in message
What happen to obsolete weapons as AIM-7 Sparrow which have been replaced

by
AIM-120 ?
Destroyed or stored ?

Generally they're used up if still useable, scrapped if past their useable
life.

tim gueguen 101867

Old August 21st 04, 07:58 AM
Dave Kearton

"tgueguen" wrote in message

| "u don't have to know" wrote in message
| What happen to obsolete weapons as AIM-7 Sparrow which have been
replaced
| by
| AIM-120 ?
| Destroyed or stored ?
|
| Generally they're used up if still useable, scrapped if past their useable
| life.
|
| tim gueguen 101867

A few years ago, I did some work at a military proof range in my state.

The 76mm Saladin turret had just been declared obsolete and the ammo was to
be destroyed.

The option of making piles of the stuff and blowing them up, was too risky.
So for the next 3 days, every 12 seconds, they'd fire off a round.

As much fun as that sounds, it's gotta get old after 3 days .....

Boom

Boom

Boom

--

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Old August 21st 04, 09:10 AM
Krztalizer

| Generally they're used up if still useable, scrapped if past their useable
| life.

"Expended" during mid-cruise 'festivities' on USN carriers. On Ike, we had a
couple OUTSTANDING airshows, with Intruders dumping expired bombs and A-7s &
Turkeys shooting off their gatling guns as they passed the ship. Great show!

v/r
Gordon
====(A+C====
USN SAR

Its always better to lose -an- engine, not -the- engine.

Old August 21st 04, 11:12 AM
Ragnar

"u don't have to know" wrote in message
What happen to obsolete weapons as AIM-7 Sparrow which have been replaced

by
AIM-120 ?
Destroyed or stored ?

What makes you think they're obselete?

Old August 21st 04, 06:49 PM
Thomas J. Paladino Jr.

"u don't have to know" wrote in message
What happen to obsolete weapons as AIM-7 Sparrow which have been replaced

by
AIM-120 ?
Destroyed or stored ?

Thierry

I think that the AIM-7 is still being used, and is being slowly phased out
in favor of the AIM-120. They built so many of them, I doubt that they're
going to scrap the whole lot until AIM-120 production numbers reach the
AIM-7, or until they become completely useless, whichever comes first.

Old August 21st 04, 09:26 PM
Guy Alcala

"Thomas J. Paladino Jr." wrote:

"u don't have to know" wrote in message
What happen to obsolete weapons as AIM-7 Sparrow which have been replaced

by
AIM-120 ?
Destroyed or stored ?

Thierry

I think that the AIM-7 is still being used, and is being slowly phased out
in favor of the AIM-120. They built so many of them, I doubt that they're
going to scrap the whole lot until AIM-120 production numbers reach the
AIM-7, or until they become completely useless, whichever comes first.

It's more a question of their use-by dates. Rocket motors, warheads, batteries
etc. all have guaranteed shelf lifes. Once those are exceeded the rounds are
considered unsafe and either need to have the relevant components replaced
(often tedious and expensive) or they need to be destroyed.

If we can sell excess older missiles with useful remaining life left to an
(approved) air force, we probably would; otherwise there's typically a Shootex
to get rid of them before they become time-expired. The Brits did this on a
large scale with their F-4s, when the F-4 units were given all the AIM-7Es that
were in the UK inventory (Tornados could only use Skyflash, while the F-4 could
use either). Many of the missiles were approaching their expiration dates, so
every day was Guy Fawkes day for a while, to use up as many as they could.

It would certainly be possible to store the GCUs, but probably not worthwhile
unless we were also willing to put the airframes/motors/warheads back into
production. We may keep some around for war reserves if they've got useful
life remaining, but otherwise probably not. Depends when the last AIM-7 was
produced for US stocks.

Guy

Old August 21st 04, 09:51 PM
Paul J. Adam

In message , u don't have to
know writes
What happen to obsolete weapons as AIM-7 Sparrow which have been replaced by
AIM-120 ?
Destroyed or stored ?

Expended downrange, in a lot of cases. "Okay, it's going to cost X money
to have these 84mm HEAT rounds scrapped, they're at the end of their
working life and only a few backwater Territorial Army units still use
them. What do we do with them? Okay, I guess some TA units get to
live-fire their 84mm Carl Gustavs then..."

Personal beneificiary of this, since we got a truckload of 84mm rounds
and sort-of-orders not to return any...

It's generally cheaper to fire off LIFEX ammo than to safely scrap it.

--
He thinks too much: such men are dangerous.
Julius Caesar I:2

Old August 22nd 04, 09:25 PM
Scott MacEachern

"Paul J. Adam" wrote in message ...

Personal beneificiary of this, since we got a truckload of 84mm rounds
and sort-of-orders not to return any...

How's your hearing now, anyway?

Scott
Old August 22nd 04, 09:54 PM
Paul J. Adam

In message , Scott
MacEachern writes
"Paul J. Adam" wrote in message

Personal beneificiary of this, since we got a truckload of 84mm rounds
and sort-of-orders not to return any...

How's your hearing now, anyway?

Poor.

Probably more to do with too many 7.62mm blank and occasional
thunderflashes indoors with no hearing protection, than with a few 84mm
rounds fired while wearing ear defenders over ear plugs.

(Not sure if hearing protection is now mandated for FIBUA/MOUT, but that
could get _loud_ in a hurry)

Old August 23rd 04, 07:03 AM
John Keeney

"Paul J. Adam" wrote in message
In message , Scott
MacEachern writes
"Paul J. Adam" wrote in message

Personal beneificiary of this, since we got a truckload of 84mm rounds
and sort-of-orders not to return any...

How's your hearing now, anyway?

Poor.

Probably more to do with too many 7.62mm blank and occasional
thunderflashes indoors with no hearing protection, than with a few 84mm
rounds fired while wearing ear defenders over ear plugs.

(Not sure if hearing protection is now mandated for FIBUA/MOUT, but that
could get _loud_ in a hurry)

I can attest to how loud 7.62 blank is during MOUT training (think of firing
inside of small rooms of multi-story block building with bare walls &
floors).
I expended the better part of a thousand rounds out of an M-14 last week
in just those circumstances.
The M-14 doesn't even touch the noise generated by the breaching charges,
SAWs and flash-bangs that are common in the MOUT environment. If you
did much MOUT stuff with out at least your fingers growing out of your
ears I'm surprised your hearing is as good as "poor".
All that being said, well, expect a lot of bad hearing in the years to come.