Big Kahunas

Old December 14th 03, 06:32 PM
Wdtabor

In article , "G.R. Patterson III"
writes:

Wdtabor wrote:

What the market does is to manipulate the demand. The market says "You

don't
*really* want *that*. Here's what you *really* want."

Actually, what it says is that if you *really* want that, it will cost you
$$$$$. But if that is too much, we can provide this instead at $$$.

Try to locate 1/2" plywood at any price in the U.S. Then take a look at how
much
money the lumber industry spent lobbying Congress for the rules that prevent
Canadian companies from selling it to us. And if you don't think there's a
demand for it, bring the subject up in home repair and woodworking groups.

If you're looking for me to support import restrictions to protect domestic
industries, you'll be disappointed.

But that says nothing about the free market. On the contrary, unholy alliances
betwen industry and government to suppress free trade are one of the things we
Libertarians are most opposed to.

A free market must be free. And in the long run, it always punishes those who
try to interfere with it. Whatever jobs import restrictions save in one
industry are more than offset by jobs lost somewhere else because of higher
costs and pinched supplies.

So, again, the free market always wins, but we get slapped around a bit when we
try to outsmart it.

Don

--
Wm. Donald (Don) Tabor Jr., DDS
PP-ASEL
Old December 14th 03, 06:32 PM
Wdtabor

In article qM0Db.5251$pY.2269@fed1read04, "R. Hubbell"
writes:

On 14 Dec 2003 11:48:12 GMT ackatyu (Wdtabor) wrote:

In article oSTCb.3979$pY.3084@fed1read04, "R. Hubbell"
writes:

In other words, tell them how to live and how to use their property.

No, not in other words, in those words. We teach them. You know
"give a man a fish he eats for a day, teach him, he eats for a

lifetime...."
Maybe useful to add... Teach him to manage the fishery and his children

and
their children eat and so on and on.

Wow! It must be nice to be so sure of your superiority.

But even if that were true, what gives you the right to direct their lives?

I guess you're done since you don't have any counterpoint.

Sure I did, it just went over your arrogant head.

Your priorities for their land and lives are not theirs. You don't live there
and you bear no risk if your Pollyanna ideas of land use fail, but their
children die if they accept your advice and it is wrong.

So, unless you can, in some way, underwrite your plans for their resources and
lives, you have no right to impose your vision of land use on them.

So long as you do not share the risks of failure, you have no right to make
their choices for them.

So, as I said before, if you think you can manage their land better than they
can, organize a consortium of like minded individuals and BUY their land from
them so that you bear the risk if your ideas don't work instead of them.
Otherwise, I'm sure if they want your enlightened advice, they can ask for it.

Don

--
Wm. Donald (Don) Tabor Jr., DDS
PP-ASEL
Old December 14th 03, 06:37 PM
Carl Ellis

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

Carl Ellis wrote:

Live in one county, work and vote in another.

Everywhere I've lived, that was illegal.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually

said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."

The working or the voting 8-).

I believe that in Oregon the out of district vote is treated like an
absentee vote. It is put aside, then residency is verified, then the vote
is counted. Of course you can't vote on local issues if you do this.

But I am not 100% positive on this.

- Carl -

---

Old December 14th 03, 06:47 PM
Carl Ellis

Carl Ellis wrote:

Live in one county, work and vote in another.

Everywhere I've lived, that was illegal.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually

said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."

The working or the voting 8-).

I believe that in Oregon the out of district vote is treated like an
absentee vote. It is put aside, then residency is verified, then the vote
is counted. Of course you can't vote on local issues if you do this.

But I am not 100% positive on this.

- Carl -

---

Looks like it's possible in Oregon. There doesn't seem to be any rule
for verifying the reason for the absence from your county of residence. In
practice this looks like it it treated like a normal absentee ballot for
which no justification is required either.
http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/253.html
253.135 Special absent elector procedures. (1) An elector who, on the day of
an election, will be absent from the county in which the elector is
registered may vote at the elections office of any county clerk or at any
polling site in this state.

(2) An elector voting under this section shall complete and sign a voter
registration card.

(3) The elector shall insert the ballot into a small envelope provided by
the election board and then shall insert the small envelope into a larger
envelope. The larger envelope shall be deposited into the ballot box.

(4) A ballot cast under this section shall be forwarded to the county clerk
of the county in which the elector resides not later than the eighth day
after the election. The ballot shall be counted in the county in which the
elector resides if the elector is qualified to vote in that county. A vote
shall be counted only if the elector is qualified to vote for the particular
office or on the measure.

---

Old December 14th 03, 08:23 PM
Jay Honeck

Bush is no fiscal conservative, and, as a result, will probably lose my
vote.

Mine, too, for several reasons. But who ya gonna vote for next time?
Dean? Ick!

Good point. At this time, I see no viable alternative to GW.

And with today's momentous capture of Saddam, Bush is looking more and more
like a sure thing in 2004.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 14th 03, 10:01 PM
Eclipsme

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Bush is no fiscal conservative, and, as a result, will probably lose

my
vote.

Mine, too, for several reasons. But who ya gonna vote for next time?
Dean? Ick!

Good point. At this time, I see no viable alternative to GW.

And with today's momentous capture of Saddam, Bush is looking more and

more
like a sure thing in 2004.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

I belong to the ABBA party.
Anybody But Bush Again! lol

Dean??? OK, if I have to...

Harvey

Old December 14th 03, 10:50 PM
R. Hubbell

On 14 Dec 2003 18:32:45 GMT ackatyu (Wdtabor) wrote:

In article qM0Db.5251$pY.2269@fed1read04, "R. Hubbell"
writes:

writes:

In other words, tell them how to live and how to use their property.

No, not in other words, in those words. We teach them. You know
"give a man a fish he eats for a day, teach him, he eats for a

lifetime...."
Maybe useful to add... Teach him to manage the fishery and his children

and
their children eat and so on and on.

Wow! It must be nice to be so sure of your superiority.

But even if that were true, what gives you the right to direct their lives?

I guess you're done since you don't have any counterpoint.

Sure I did, it just went over your arrogant head.

As I said before name calling means the argument is over. You had your chance.
And as you have done I wil repeat what I've said before.

Your priorities for their land and lives are not theirs. You don't live there
and you bear no risk if your Pollyanna ideas of land use fail, but their

Hardly "pollyanna", it's working in Gabon and it's working in Costa Rica and
elsewhere. IT's not working where we're buying $5 picture frames.

children die if they accept your advice and it is wrong.

The children are dying with the current model.

So, unless you can, in some way, underwrite your plans for their resources and
lives, you have no right to impose your vision of land use on them.

It's not my plan it's a plan that's working. It has to be the one that they
see has an end game instead of the current game which does not.

So long as you do not share the risks of failure, you have no right to make
their choices for them.

It's not my choice we only have to show them that the current approach won't
last for them. Once the resources are depleted that's it. Manage and nurture
it and it will last for generations.

We all share the risks of failure, but you don't see that for some reason.
A narrow world view perhaps.

So, as I said before, if you think you can manage their land better than they
can, organize a consortium of like minded individuals and BUY their land from
them so that you bear the risk if your ideas don't work instead of them.
Otherwise, I'm sure if they want your enlightened advice, they can ask for it.

They only need to look at successful land management that doesn't require selling
picture frames.

R. Hubbell

Don

--
Wm. Donald (Don) Tabor Jr., DDS
PP-ASEL

Old December 14th 03, 11:28 PM
leslie

G.R. Patterson III ) wrote:
:
:
: Jay Honeck wrote:
:
: Bush is no fiscal conservative, and, as a result, will probably lose my
: vote.
:
: Same here. If there's any decent alternative. So far, I don't see one.
:

The Property Party (Democrats & Republicans) has sworn its allegiance
to India, Inc....

------------------------------
JOB DESTRUCTION NEWSLETTER
by Rob Sanchez
www.ZaZona.com
------------------------------

President Bush isn't a viable option for President if you want to save
American jobs. Bush supports unlimited H-1B visas, unlimited
guest-worker visas for blue-collar workers, and he recently proved that
he won't oppose the WTO's free-trade mandates to destroy our steel
industry. Simply put, Bush will continue to allow our industries to be
offshored and he will support the importation of cheap foreign labor to
take our jobs.

The logical alternative would be to vote for a Democrat for President,
but don't rush to their support quite yet! That's because every single
major candidate is kowtowing to India.

Democrats like the smell of Rupees as much as the Dollar. They recently
pledged their allegiance to India by writing letters of commitment to
the interests of USINPAC. You can see shortened versions of their
letters below, and there are links so that you can read their entire
letters of betrayal to the American workers who will be voting for
them. Preceding their letter summaries is an email that was sent out by
Sanjay Puri, the Executive Director of USINPAC. Sanjay is so proud of
the fact that he has all the major candidates under his thumb he
announced it to USINPAC members on 12/1/2003 via email.

The U.S. India Political Action Committee, or USINPAC, was formed by
Indian American owned IT businesses in order to use their political
clout to enhance offshoring to India, and of course to promote an
easing of any restrictions that H-1B and L-1 visas contain. They focus
on obtaining lucrative US government contracts.

USINPAC is registered with the Federal Election Commission in the state
of Virginia
see (http://www.fec.gov/).

USINPAC claims that they are a bunch of rich Indian Americans. They say
this so that they can get registered as a Political Action Committee,
but even on their own website they admit that their ties to India are
very strong. This organization is as smelly as curry-encrusted 2-Rupee
bill!

http://www.usinpac.com/240903_nr.asp

The US India Political Action Committee (USINPAC) is a
national, bipartisan political action committee of the
Indian American community. Based in Washington, DC, USINPAC
is a strong and clear voice on Capitol Hill. USINPAC's
mission is to impact policy on issues of concern to the
Indian American community.

Commending the efforts, and achievements of USINPAC, in the
short span of one year since its founding, the Prime Minister
promised support from Indian policy makers, and invited and
welcomed a USINPAC delegation to India in January 2004 to
mark the NRI Day celebrations. With the Indian Foreign
Secretary, Kanwal Sibal, the Indian Ambassador, Lalit Mansingh,
and the Joint Secretary, PM Office, P S Raghavan, also present,
the Prime Minister offered support to USINPAC's mission,
and encouraged USINPAC to continue its innovative efforts in
building closer strategic and economic ties between the US and
India, "The mission you have started," he said, "has to succeed."
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^

Directly below you will see statements taken from the Democrats'
letters. In all cases they pledged to support the best interests of the
Indian economy. Candidates missing from this list include Rev. Al
Sharpton, Dennis Kucinich, and Carol Moseley Braun. Kucinich has
repeatedly said that he supports guest-worker visa programs and
endorsed the guest-worker/amnesty bill called "Border Security and
Immigration Improvement Act of 2003" that is sponsored by Sen. John
McCain, Rep. Jeff Flake, and Jim Kolbe.

All of this means that there are only two Democrats that might not have
been bought off yet - Al Sharpton and Mosely Braun. At this time I
don't have information on where Al Sharpton or Mosely Braun stand on
H-1B or guest-worker visas so I cannot endorse them yet.

DICK GEPHARDT

I have taken efforts to make the United States a better place to live
and work for the Indian-American community. In 2000, I negotiated an
agreement to increase the number of H-1B visas issued by the United
States. I also won bipartisan support for the H-1B visa increase by
including worker-training funds in the legislation. This was a huge
victory for Indians seeking to come to the United States to share their
tremendous talents.

JOE LIEBERMAN

Indian Americans must be in the forefront of shaping domestic and
international policy for the United States. They have earned a seat at
the policy table, and the country will be better off for their
participation in policy debates in Washington and beyond. I also oppose
any efforts to eliminate or diminish the H1-B visa program. Why do we
want to limit or otherwise handicap a community that has made such
significant and important contributions to this country? It is
counter-intuitive and counter-productive.

JOHN KERRY

I believe it is important, to both the United States and to India, that
the economic and military relationship between our two countries
continue to grow. ... I will work to cut the backlog of applications
pending with the Bureau for Citizenship and Immigration Services, speed
up the naturalization process and reduce the wait for family visas and
other important matters.

HOWARD DEAN

A few months ago, I had the pleasure of joining members of the US India
Political Action Committee in Washington, DC. America is an immigrant
nation and as President, I will recognize and respect the vital role
that all immigrants, including Indians, have played in building the
American community. For instance, I will work to end the backlogs in
processing visa applications and providing for family reunifications by
ensuring adequate funding for the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration
Services.

WESLEY CLARK

With the exception of the Native Americans among us, we are all
immigrants. A carefully calibrated H-1 visa program allows our nation
to continue to benefit from the skills of the global community.
Immigration and the ability to harness the talents of a connected
worlds, is crucial to our economic, cultural and political progression.
I'm proud to acknowledge that India has been a vibrant source of talent
for America.

JOHN EDWARDS

I applaud the work of the United States India Political Action
Committee (USINPAC) and believe that asking candidates to respond to
the concerns of your constituency is important. America works best when
each and every individual is engaged in civic participation and I look
forward to working with the Indian American community. Increased trade
with India could create many jobs in the United States.

------------------------------------

US India Political Action Committee

Welcome to Presidential Election Campaign 2004!

Message from USINPAC Executive director Sanjay puri

Dear Friends,

With the Presidential Election now less than a year away, campaigning
for the nomination among the Democrats is now in full swing. On the
Republican side, President Bush will be the nominee for re-election.
All of the candidates have been keenly seeking the support of the
Indian American community. Several have reached out actively to our
community.

The Indian American community has been increasingly active in public
affairs. In the last Presidential Election, we estimate that the
community contributed over $7 million to the various campaigns. This is
a very welcome development, indicating the growing political maturation
of the community. At the same time, it is unclear if this has as yet
resulted in any significant recognition of the community as a voting
block in either of the two parties. We still have far too little
visible presence of Indian Americans in the campaigns. USINPAC is
working to change this situation.

Consistent with this objective, USINPC has decided to provide an
opportunity to the Indian American community to find out by the various
candidates, particularly on issues important to us. We plan to make
this information available on our website, and we will continue to
update it periodically. We hope this information will be helpful to you
as you make up your mind about each of the candidates.

Support Groups are in the process of being formed. If you have an
interest, please contact Dr. Inder Sud at: who is
spearheading this effort for USINPAC.

Click here to read the rest of the message. Go to our Presidential
Elections 2004 site

Thank you,

Sanjay Puri

Executive Director

US India Political Action Committee

------------------------------------

Letter from Congressman Gephardt

Dear Friends:

I applaud the work of the United States India Political Action
Committee (USINPAC), and appreciate the opportunity to share my views
with you. Since its inception, USINPAC has encouraged Indian-Americans
to become politically active and strengthened Indian-American
communications at the federal, state and local levels. In May of this
year, I was honored to speak with members of USINPAC during their
Democratic Leadership Day to discuss issues that impact Indian-American
communities.

The United States and India have formed a bond over the years that
reflects our common interests. Since I was elected to Congress 27 years
ago, I have always been committed to issues that better the lives of
Indians and Indian-Americans. I welcome the opportunity to share with
you my views and strong record on these issues.

(To read the rest of letter, click here.)
http://www.usinpac.com/RichardGephardtPE2004.asp#dick

Best regards,

Congressman Richard A. Gephardt

------------------------------------

Letter from Senator Lieberman

Dear Friends:

The strength of the United States has always come from its diversity.
Its diversity comes from its immigrant communities. We are a strong
nation, a unified nation, because of our diversity.

One of our nation=92s most important and fastest growing immigrant
communities is the Indian American Community. It is two million plus
strong and growing. Approximately 10% of the medical students in this
country are Indian American. One out of four high tech businesses in
the San Francisco Bay Area is Indian American owned. The American
landscape is full of Indian entrepreneurs who create economic growth
and opportunity as small businessmen and -women. Indian Americans have
the highest per capita income of any ethnic minority at $68,000. In
short, Indian Americans are a success story.

(To read the rest of letter, click here.)
http://www.usinpac.com/JoeLiebermanPE2004.asp#joe

Sincerely,

Joe Lieberman

------------------------------------

Letter from Senator Kerry

Dear Friends:

I am delighted to have this opportunity to share my views and my vision
with the Indian-American community. The importance of this election
cannot be overstated. George Bush has taken our country down the wrong
path in nearly every conceivable way. As president, I will make America
safer, stronger and more prosperous. I will nurture the important
relationship between the United States and India and ensure that the
rights of Indian-Americans are protected here at home.

I have long supported a closer relationship between the United States
and India -- democracies that share many ideals, and face common
challenges. I believe it is important, to both the United States and to
India, that the economic and military relationship between our two
countries continue to grow. As President, I will continue the combined
naval and special forces exercises our governments have undertaken. The
threat of international terrorism affects both the United States and
India. And the fight against terrorism requires a mix of military,
diplomatic and law enforcement responses. I strongly believe that the
United States and India must continue to work together to bolster our
joint capacities. The development of bilateral and multilateral working
groups is crucial.

(To read the rest of letter, click here.)
http://www.usinpac.com/JohnKerryPE2004.asp#kerry

Sincerely,

John F. Kerry

------------------------------------

Letter from Governor Dean

Dear Friends,

A few months ago, I had the pleasure of joining members of the US
India Political Action Committee in Washington, DC, as part of your
Democratic Leadership Day. I would like to take this opportunity to
share with your entire membership why I am running for President of the
United States and how, as President, I will address some of the issues
that are important to the Indian American community.

I am running for President to restore the ideal of the American
community. Protecting our civil rights is fundamental to this ideal.
Whether you define community by geography, ethnicity, religion, or
shared experience, our democracy is built on a foundation of mutual
respect and equal opportunity for all our diverse populations. To
accomplish this goal, I will appoint an Attorney General who sees our
constitution not as a document to be manipulated, ignored, and
violated, but recognizes and respects it as the fabric that binds the
American community together. As President, I will implement measures
to remove the glass ceiling that impedes qualified men and women from
professional advancement because of race or national origin. I will
also direct my Attorney General to put an end to racial profiling
practices within the federal government and among federally funded
state and local law enforcement agencies. I will call for the rollback
of the Patriot Act and the overly broad investigative and surveillance
powers it gives to the government. I will also oppose any effort to
expand the powers authorized under the Act.

(To read the rest of letter, click here.)
http://www.usinpac.com/HowardDeanPE2004.asp#dean

Sincerely,

Howard Dean, M.D.

------------------------------------

Letter from Wesley K. Clark

Greetings USINPAC members:

Thank you for inviting me to share my views with you. I believe
America=92s true strength lies in its diversity, and the Indian-
American community is integral to the enrichment and prosperity of this
country. I commend the United States India Political Action Committee
(USINPAC) for being engaged in the kind of public discourse that makes
America great.

The relationship between the U.S. and India is rooted in our common
democratic ideals=97and it grows stronger everyday. As President I will
be committed to addressing the wide range of issues important to the
Indian-American community.

(To read the rest of letter, click here.)
http://www.usinpac.com/WesleyClerkPE2004.asp#wesley

Sincerely,

Wesley K. Clark

------------------------------------

Letter from Senator Edwards

Dear Members of the USINPAC:

I applaud the work of the United States India Political Action
Committee (USINPAC) and believe that asking candidates to respond to
the concerns of your constituency is important.

America works best when each and every individual is engaged in civic
participation and I look forward to working with the Indian American
community. The United States and India share many common strategic
interests. I agree with Prime Minister Vajpayee that as the world=92s
largest democracies, and with the values and principles that we share,
the U.S. and India are "natural allies." As natural allies, we should
continue to cooperate on a wide range of defense issues, including
joint military exercises and the sale of military equipment when this
enhances India's security and contributes to regional stability.

(To read the rest of letter, click here.)
http://www.usinpac.com/JohnEdwardsPE2004.asp#john

Sincerely,

John Edwards

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3 D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3 D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Support this Newsletter and ZaZona.com by donating:
www.zazona.com/Donations.htm

To Subscribe or Unsubscribe send an email to

Old December 15th 03, 06:01 PM
Gig Giacona

"R. Hubbell" wrote in message
On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 14:20:22 -0600 "Gig Giacona"

wrote:

Your argument proves my point. If it becomes important enough the market
will deal with the problem. In this case the Toyota Prius. But I'd be
willing to bet they are not out selling SUVs.

Now I've got you! Mooohahaha. SUVs have been selling like hot cakes
because of at least two loopholes in the laws. One is how they are

classified
and the other is a huge tax-break for businesses that buy them (a weight

thing)

Keep in mind that the world and for that matter the USA is a very big place.
Not every state gives huge tax breaks for SUVs. And in most states the tax
goes up with the weight. BUT... for the sake of agument let's not even talk
about cars bought for business use... Just personal. I'd be will ing to bet
the Prius is still way behind the even Toyota's own SUV in sales.

The "market" you lovingly cling to is once again artificially buoyed up
because it's rivets are popping and it's long in the tooth and creaking

and
it's past TBO and it's ready to rest in Davey Jones' locker and it's ready
to go Tango Uniform and ....

And state controlled economies have just proven SOOOO successful.

Now the Prius has huge tariffs imposed by the US govt. and their are no
loopholes. (although I think in some states the state subsidizes a portion
of the cost, sort of like undoing the federally imposed tariffs)

I have no idea what the tariff is on the Prius but from Toyota's own web
site there seems to be some sort of Federal Tax DEDUCTION for buying one.

Retail purchasers of a new Prius may be eligible for a federal tax deduction
of up to $2,000 for purchases completed during calendar year 2003. Details
are as follows:
How to Claim up to $2,000 Federal Tax Deduction

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) requires that purchasers retain normal
proof of purchase documentation as well as the Toyota Certification letter
and Internal Revenue Service Acknowledgement letter as substantiation for
the deduction.
For printable copies of both letters, click the icons below.
For further information from the IRS, see the IRS News Releases of October
6, 2003; August 12, 2003; and Revenue Procedure 2002-42.
Toyota Certification Letter - Model Years 2001, 2002 and 2003
Toyota Certification Letter - Model Year 2004
IRS Acknowledgement Letter - Model Years 2001, 2002 and 2003
IRS Acknowledgement Letter - Model Year 2004

Up to $2,000 Federal Tax Deduction Guidelines

The purchase of a new Prius (model years 2001, 2002, 2003 or 2004 only) must
be completed on or before December 31, 2003 for the $2000 deduction.
Vehicles purchased during calendar year 2004 may be eligible for a $1,500
tax deduction.
Before using this important federal tax deduction on your tax return, please
check with your tax advisor for possible additional state tax benefits and
for any changes in the federal tax laws that might occur after October 1,
2003.
The federal tax deduction is not available for Prius lessees or purchasers
of used Prius vehicles. To the extent applicable, this deduction is
available to Prius purchasers regardless of whether you itemize deductions
on your federal income tax return.
Your overall federal tax benefit will depend on your individual tax
situation, particularly if you claim depreciation deductions on your Prius.
See your tax advisor for more details.

Old December 15th 03, 06:13 PM
Gig Giacona

"Carl Ellis" wrote in message
Gig Giacona wrote:

And with the advances in science I wouldn't bet the farm that there

will
never be another marketable Cuban mahogany tree IF there is sufficient
demand.

Yes, this is an argument that is often made, the market will save us all
with advances in technology and science and efficiency. The market

serves
itself, what is good for the market is not necessarily good for the

public.
Their interests may intersect but don't bet the farm on it.

- Carl -

How about an example..