What's high TT for a Lyc 235?

Old March 22nd 04, 05:04 AM
Paul Folbrecht

Default What's high TT for a Lyc 235?

My engine has 1200 SMOA and 4500 TT. I can find very little regarding
the relevance of total time. Maybe it's close to irrelevant since a MO
touches everything anyway. Lyc even zero-times their remans, of course,
even they are obviously not truly 0 TT. Just curious about the subject
of engine TT in general.
Old March 22nd 04, 03:48 PM
Doug

TT affects the appraisal. Frequent flying should lower it, but you
wont find the appraisal taking that into account. Engines can be flown
past TBO. If is in good shape, no oil usage, good compressions, no
metal and oil analysis OK, engine will probably make 500 more hours,
if flown 2 hours a week. I subscribe to Tradeaplane and their
appraiser will give you a good idea of an asking price.
You can put in tow total times, and see the difference. Beavers
reguarly sell with more than 10,000 hours on them, so the airframes
can go a long time and still function.

My Husky has 2050 tach hours, and the engine runs like it always has.
I am going to continue to run it so long as it does not show any
signifigant change. We shall see. My guess is it will start using oil
at some point or the compressions will go down and that will signal an
overhaul.

Old March 24th 04, 06:25 AM
John Bishop

TT on engines is a difficult subject. I used to part own a warrior in the UK
that had a 1600hr engine. Around 1400hrs, we had a loud bang that led to us
replacing two cylinders. Twenty hours later at the annual, we had to replace
another cylinder, the crankcase, camshaft and oil pump!

The mags had already been replaced at the last annual, so we ended up with a
virtually new engine, but without the benefits of zero timing. The lesson is
to know the engines history, as a high time engine could have many low time
components in it.

John

m...