Interesting approach snafu.

Old April 11th 05, 08:46 PM
Chris

"Ben Jackson" wrote in message
On 2005-04-10, Roy Smith wrote:
I saw an approach mistake the other day that I've never seen before. We
were flying the VOR-A @ 12N (http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0503/05026VA.PDF)
and were a little off course (in good VFR conditions). My student looked
up at about the right time, saw a runway, and went for it.
Unfortunately,
it was the wrong airport.

Until you pointed it out I had not noticed that the government charts
don't depict nearby airports on approach plates. The Jepp plates have
light gray airport symbols for anything you might see along the approach.
It'd be interesting to see the Jepp plate for 12N.

The do as in this case
http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0503/00877VT14.PDF

A North West crew landed at Ellsworth by mistake last June. They got fired.

Old April 11th 05, 09:03 PM
Andrew Gideon

My CFII tried to get me to do this at least once that I recall. An offset
LDA actually pointed towards the "wrong" airport (somewhere in Connecticut,
I think), or something like that. The "wrong" airport is closed, so the
'X' marks are a hint in that case.

There's also a river between the two airports which - if the pilot is paying
attention - would also serve as a hint to a pilot paying attention.

- Andrew

Old April 12th 05, 03:25 AM
L. R. Du Broff

Roy Smith wrote in
:

I saw an approach mistake the other day that I've never seen before.
We were flying the VOR-A @ 12N
(http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0503/05026VA.PDF) and were a little off
course (in good VFR conditions). My student looked up at about the
right time, saw a runway, and went for it. Unfortunately, it was the
wrong airport.

True confession time: about fifteen years ago, I was headed for the
Bahamas with the family. I filed for Georgetown with Miami International
Flight Service and got a briefing. Specifically asked for notams, was told
there were none. Arriving vicinity of Georgetown, I saw the airport a few
miles before I expected to. Double-checked the chart, which showed only one
airport in the vicinity. Calling on memory from a previous trip, probably
ten or fifteen years before, I was pretty sure that the airport was a bit
further, just over that group of low hills, but here it was right in front
of me and the chart said it was the only airport. It seemed a bit strange
that runway 10 was marked with Roman Numerals, but I figured that was due
to what appeared to be new construction at the approach end, so I assumed
displaced threshhold, and landed long. At which point I realized that the
whole darned place was under construction -- terminal building, runway,
taxiway, etc. The Bahamians on the big yellow construction equipment were
laughing and pointing. I took off, flew just over the group of low hills,
and there was the Georgetown airport, right where it was supposed to be.

Once in the terminal building, I read the posted notam (the one that Miami
IFSS did not give me), warning about the new airport under construction,
just to the west. No harm done, but embarrassing!
Old April 12th 05, 02:54 PM
gregscheetah

True confession time: about fifteen years ago, I was headed for the
Bahamas with the family. I filed for Georgetown with Miami

International

Once in the terminal building, I read the posted notam (the one that

Miami
IFSS did not give me), warning about the new airport under

construction,
just to the west. No harm done, but embarrassing!

This is a good story to point out that FSS does not provide all Notams
for an airport, airway or approach. Even when asked.
If the Notam is published in the biweekly book or in the AFD, they will
not give it to you unless you request specifically them, by name,
usually having to insist.
A good review of the Notam issue is at:
http://www.avweb.com/news/system/183201-1.html

I have previously asked specifically if a ILS approach was available.
The FSS person said yes. When I got to the airport I was cleared for
the ILS by center. When I actually got on the approach I found the GS
was inop. No Notam from FSS or warning from Center. But it was there,
10 letters buried in the A/FD.

Old April 12th 05, 03:19 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"gregscheetah" wrote in message
oups.com...

I have previously asked specifically if a ILS approach was available.
The FSS person said yes. When I got to the airport I was cleared for
the ILS by center. When I actually got on the approach I found the GS
was inop. No Notam from FSS or warning from Center. But it was there,
10 letters buried in the A/FD.

The FSS answered your question correctly.

Old April 12th 05, 04:43 PM
Brad Zeigler

"Blanche" wrote in message
We won't talk about the 737 flown by a major airline that almost
landed at FTG thinking it was DEN. Actually, wouldn't have been
much of a problem -- FTG runways are 8000x100.

Might be a problem for the passengers that miss their connection.

Old April 16th 05, 05:39 AM
Paul Folbrecht

Any idea what typically happens to them? That's got result in a
certificate suspension, if anything does (anything short of directly
causing an accident, anyway).

Blanche wrote:

Invariably (about once a year, maybe less) a small aircraft headed
to FTG lands at DEN, 5 nm miles away, thinking it's FTG.

Now, DEN is Class B, has a tower ( BIG tower! ) parking lots that
are always full that strech for miles, lots of really big
aircraft, and that silly terminal with the white things sticking up.
Not to mention runways that are 150 ft. wide.

I'm astonished how they can be mistaken for each other.