What is the single-engine small plane with the best range?

Old February 16th 04, 07:59 PM
Bob

Default What is the single-engine small plane with the best range?

Hello,

I've been reading news on flying for quite a while and these seems to
be the most well-informed groups (the googles)writer on the net. I
would therefore like to have your personnal opinion on a question. I
live in Northern Quebec (Yes, I'm french speaking so forgive the
spelling mistakes) and practice as a lawyer in the Nordic region of
Quebec with native people (no road access), we always travel by plane
(Gruman G-1, dash-8 or twin otter) and, as everyone, I am limited to
the schedule of these companies. I would like to fly my own plane to
these community; I would be able to charge less to my client for
travelling, I would be able to use these portion of flying as tax
deductible (and parts of the plane expense) and that would give me the
possibility of mixing my career with flying. My town airport as a
10000 feet (yes almost two miles, it used to be military) airstrip and
we are located at 1016 feet ASL. The kind of places I would like to
go are Great-Whale (500 statute miles), Chisasibi (300 statute miles),
Kuujuaq(800 statute miles) and Puvirnituq (850 statute miles ), of
course I will be able to fuel between these objectives. My question
finally!

-From your personnal opinion what is the best small single-engine
plane for this kind of use?

-The number of seats is irrelevant, I don't intent to carry
passengers;
-the payload is irrelevant( except for fuel), I travel light;
-the speed is not a major item;
-I don't like taildagger, the crosswind can be strong up there;
-range is the major item, avgas or mogas is harder to get in the small
airport the northern community (You often have to buy the whole 45
gallons drum)so refuelling is very time-consuming;
-Price range would be less than 55,000 canadian $ (about 40,000 us$)

If you need more precision do not hesitate to contact me

Thank you very much for your collaboration,

Yours Truly

Bob

Province of Quebec, Canada
Old February 16th 04, 08:38 PM
jls

Cessna 210; Mooney; Piper Arrow; Beech Sierra; maybe a 182 or Grumman Tiger;
Bonanza --- these are predicated on the long distances.

"Bob" wrote in message
om...
Hello,

Old February 16th 04, 08:52 PM
rip

Rugged, and long range, especially with tip tanks - a Navion.
And it's in your price range, too.

Rip

Old February 16th 04, 08:52 PM
jls

"Bob" wrote in message
om...
[...]drum)so refuelling is very time-consuming;
-Price range would be less than 55,000 canadian $ (about 40,000 us$)

But at those prices you're going to be stuck with a Cherokee 140 (maybe a
160) or Cessna 152 or 172. You need at least 150 kts. to get you there
before midnight.

Old February 16th 04, 08:56 PM
Roy Smith

In article ,
" jls" wrote:

Cessna 210; Mooney; Piper Arrow; Beech Sierra; maybe a 182 or Grumman Tiger;
Bonanza --- these are predicated on the long distances.

Where's he going to get any of those for 40,000 USD?
Old February 16th 04, 10:21 PM
Dude

Bob,

I think you should start taking lessons. You are a perfect business flyer
that can benefit from GA.

You will likely want to start small and work up. This means continuing to
pay someone else for the longer flights. For the price you are wanting to
invest, you can't buy much plane.

Here are some issues you will run into.

How mechanical are you? If you want to own and operate an older (cheaper)
plane, you will want to be able to take care of little things yourself in a
pinch. The older the plane, the more it pays to be able to pitch in instead
of depending completely on an AP.

How is the weather? The longer the trip, the more chance of running into
adverse weather that can only be overcome by more training, more plane, and
more equipment (or waiting it out).

How flexible are you? If you are limiting your budget so low, you WILL end
up with travel issues that require spending an extra night.

I would think icing is an issue for you. Boots or TKS are not available on
your budget.

So, the bottom line advice I would give you is to start taking lessons, and
see how much you like flying. After you get hooked, and start meeting other
pilots in your area, you may want to spend more. Also,you may find a
partnership arrangement that can allow you to buy a more capable airplane.
That is likely to be your best bet.

Old February 16th 04, 11:12 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
In article ,
" jls" wrote:

Cessna 210; Mooney; Piper Arrow; Beech Sierra; maybe a 182 or Grumman

Tiger;
Bonanza --- these are predicated on the long distances.

Where's he going to get any of those for 40,000 USD?

Midnight Aircraft Sales.

Old February 16th 04, 11:27 PM

Bob:

I think the only airplane even close to your price range that would provide
the desired flying range is a normally-aspirated (not turbo) Arrow III or
Arrow IV. (A newer Arrow would also work, but these are very much more
expensive). These Arrows have 72 US gallon (usable) tanks and burn under 9
GPH at 65% power while providing a TAS of around 135 kts. (More like 141
kts at 75% power, but the extra fuel burn reduces range.) Thus you get a
range of over 900 nm with VFR reserve, but you will be flying non-stop for
about 7 hours getting there. Take a relief bottle. I co-own an Arrow IV,
and I consider its outstanding range to be one of its best features.

With retractable gear and a constant speed prop, the Arrow is considered a
"complex" airplane, but in reality is very easy and pleasant to fly.
Nothing beyond the skills of a typical low-time pilot assuming proper
transition training.

A good Arrow III or Arrow IV will cost about twice what you want to spend,
so you might consider a partnership. Such an arrangement works great for
me.

--
-Elliott Drucker
Old February 17th 04, 01:22 AM
Dude

Midnight Aircraft Sales - where you buy the plane, and we fly away!

Old February 17th 04, 02:20 AM
Brian Sponcil

How 'bout an old piper comanche 180? I think those go for something in the
40s. Solid as a rock. Good speed/range combo.

Just my $.02

-Brian

" jls" wrote in message
.. .
Cessna 210; Mooney; Piper Arrow; Beech Sierra; maybe a 182 or Grumman

Tiger;
Bonanza --- these are predicated on the long distances.

"Bob" wrote in message
om...
Hello,