Stiffed on Ebay

Old June 24th 04, 05:50 PM
Jay Honeck

Default Stiffed on Ebay

I've only sold two items on Ebay (I've bought a lot, though), so I'm really
surprised (and saddened) to report that I've run into an avionics buyer who
simply won't pay for the item he won.

I listed our old Narco AT 50 transponder (which, BTW, we replaced with a
Garmin GTX-327 -- a truly great unit), and my winner bid $285 for it.

That was over three weeks ago, and when pressed about the status of his
payment, the guy only responded with one sentence emails promising to "look
into it."

I finally gave him a 24 hour deadline, which he missed, and have re-listed
the transponder for sale.

This is a first for me -- all of my other transactions have been easy and
painless.

Have I just been lucky? Anyone else run into this on Ebay?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 24th 04, 06:26 PM
NW_PILOT

I run in to non paying bidders all the time act now file a NPBA then a FVF
Credit time is limited in what you can do ebay is truing to make it better
for sellers just file a non paying bidder alert on him 11 days later leave
negative feedback and immediately file a FVF credit to cancel the sale.

Non Paying Bidder Alert
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...BComplaintForm

Final Value Fee Credit Request
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?CreditRequest

Old June 24th 04, 07:20 PM
Friedrich Ostertag

Hi Jay,

I've only sold two items on Ebay (I've bought a lot, though), so I'm
really surprised (and saddened) to report that I've run into an
avionics buyer who simply won't pay for the item he won.

Hasn't happened to me yet, but I also have sold only a handful of items
so far. But I guess there is a reason why so many sellers state in
their auctions that "fun-bidders" will be sued for "handling costs",
normally 25% of auction value. In Germany this is legally possible, as
by bidding you are accepting a binding contract. I'm not sure about the
US, and I don't know whether it's worth the hassle. Wish you better
luck next time.

regards,
Friedrich

--
for personal email please remove "entfernen" from my adress

Old June 24th 04, 07:42 PM
Dudley Henriques

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
[...]

I must be missing something about the "advantages" of using Ebay, based
on it's tremendous popularity, but it just doesn't make any sense to me.
The entire thing is set up so that the middle man (Ebay) can make money
on a transaction. That's all well and good, for Ebay, and I'm sure this
procedure attracts a whole bunch of people based on Ebay's financial
position, but I just don't get the attraction.
As a buyer, I want cancellation privilege not only before the sale, but
AFTER the sale as well. If I'm thinking of buying something I don't need
anyone telling me I can't change my mind, even up to the point of sale.
Even AFTER buying something, if I have a problem with it, I want the
option to return it to where I bought it for full credit. I've been
buying this way for many years and have never had a problem.
Suppose this guy who won the bid on the transponder suffered a problem
that prevented his going through with the purchase.....hell, it could be
anything? On EBay, he doesn't have the option to cancel? Hell, that's no
way to buy something....at least as far as I'm concerned anyway. I've
obviously never used Ebay and never will. I guess it's ok for some, but
it's definitely NOT my cup of tea :-)
Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
Commercial Pilot/ CFI Retired
For personal email, please replace
the z's with e's.
dhenriquesATzarthlinkDOTnzt

Old June 24th 04, 08:07 PM
SeeAndAvoid

Ya, I've been stiffed once on ebay, no emails, nothing, as if the guy
fell off the face of the earth. I waited and waited, then finally did
the non paying bidder thing. Right now I'm in the middle of a
situation that kind of sucks. I sold my turn coordinator that I
replaced with a new autopilot (Stec30). It was overhauled
about 2 years ago and was working fine. I sold it on ebay back
in April for about $120, stating everything about it-that it was
in good working condition, recently overhauled and by who,
but that there was no warranty, returns, or refunds.

2 months after the fact this guy writes me to tell me he finally
installed it and it doesn't work. Before I even get a chance to
respond he leaves me my first neutral feedback on ebay, I have
no negatives. Says I claimed it worked but was DOA. He also
says the package seemed to be delivered in good condition, I
had that thing pretty well packed and I paid more for postage
than what I stated in the ebay description.

I don't know what kind of plane or voltage he put it in, or who
put it in for him. It wasn't dead on departure. But even if it did
arrive DOA, which I'm still not convinced of, the neutral rating
is not deserved as I made no claims or guarantees or warranty
on the item, it was sold AS IS. And now if it magically starts
working, I'm still stuck with that rating.

With regard to Dudley's concerns: I've had people want to cancel
a bid for some reason or another. I think Jays point is his bidders
lack of communication, we're all fairly reasonable people. I've
let people out of a bid before, but I also make it pretty clear on
every bid description "make sure this is what you want BEFORE
you bid". As far as the guarantee of returning items, I expect that
luxury from retailers that sell through ebay, but not on used items
from individuals. The ebay fee and shipping back and forth doesnt
make it worth it for either party.

You have to look at it like a garage sale. You may get a good or
great deal sometimes, you may not. The times you do, you probably
are getting a big discount on something someone no longer needs
but you do. The other advantage, as a buyer, is getting things way
cheaper than any other method. This is usually with a retailer,
who has a fixed ebay price, Buy It Now, and possibly a seperate
retail website with another price. They'll also throw up a bid
on the same item, and often you can beat their other prices with the
bid if you're patient, it may take several bids. With retailers, I've
returned damaged merchandise.

I've sold over a couple grand worth of stuff lying around my house
that would otherwise continue lying around. So for that I love
ebay. I've bought mostly new items on ebay, rarely something
old or used. But if I did, it's the old 'buyer beware' or 'you get
what you pay for' situation. It's sometimes a gamble, especially
through an individual. But I never buy anything very expensive
anyway, just little things. I'd never buy a car or airplane without
the option to cancel a bid or some kind of warranty. That area I'd
agree with Dudley on.

Chris

Old June 24th 04, 08:09 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

I've only sold two items on Ebay (I've bought a lot, though), so I'm

really
surprised (and saddened) to report that I've run into an avionics buyer

who
simply won't pay for the item he won.

I listed our old Narco AT 50 transponder (which, BTW, we replaced with a
Garmin GTX-327 -- a truly great unit), and my winner bid $285 for it.

That was over three weeks ago, and when pressed about the status of his
payment, the guy only responded with one sentence emails promising to

"look
into it."

I finally gave him a 24 hour deadline, which he missed, and have re-listed
the transponder for sale.

Was he the only bidder? If not, did you try the second chance option for
the next highest bidder?

Old June 24th 04, 08:54 PM
Shirley

"NW_PILOT" steven wrote:

I run in to non paying bidders all the time act
now file a NPBA then a FVF Credit time is limited
in what you can do ebay is truing to make it better
for sellers just file a non paying bidder alert on him
11 days later leave negative feedback and
immediately file a FVF credit to cancel the sale.

Jeez, ever hear of punctuation? The one place where you didn't really need the
period (when there was nothing more to read) was the only place you put one.
Sorry, I was too distracted trying to figure out where one sentence stopped and
another started to make sense of the actual advice.

Old June 24th 04, 11:20 PM
Newps

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
ink.net...

but I just don't get the attraction.

It's a way to easily find stuff you need. It's also a generational thing.
You're old and not expected to 'get it."

As a buyer, I want cancellation privilege not only before the sale,

You have that, it's called not bidding. Ebay is best for stuff you know you
want.

Even AFTER buying something, if I have a problem with it, I want the
option to return it to where I bought it for full credit.

You may have this option if you buy it from a store. Many avionics shops
now sell on Ebay and provide the same services as if you called them on the
phone and bought something. If you want this then email them and ask.

Old June 24th 04, 11:24 PM
Newps

"SeeAndAvoid" wrote in message
link.net...

2 months after the fact this guy writes me to tell me he finally
installed it and it doesn't work. Before I even get a chance to
respond he leaves me my first neutral feedback on ebay, I have
no negatives.

He bought it as is. Too bad for him. I have had negative feedback left for
me once. Big deal. The guy was a whiner and you get to respond anyways.
You think everybody that goes to Walmart is happy?

I don't know what kind of plane or voltage he put it in, or who
put it in for him. It wasn't dead on departure. But even if it did
arrive DOA, which I'm still not convinced of, the neutral rating
is not deserved as I made no claims or guarantees or warranty
on the item, it was sold AS IS. And now if it magically starts
working, I'm still stuck with that rating.

The rating isn't relavant as it will be overwhelmed by positive feedback.

Old June 25th 04, 12:08 AM
Robert M. Gary

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message link.net...
I must be missing something about the "advantages" of using Ebay, based
on it's tremendous popularity, but it just doesn't make any sense to me.
The entire thing is set up so that the middle man (Ebay) can make money
on a transaction. That's all well and good, for Ebay, and I'm sure this
procedure attracts a whole bunch of people based on Ebay's financial
position, but I just don't get the attraction.

Unless your hanger neighbor happens to be in the market for what you
are selling and is willing to pay a good price, ebay makes sense. You
have a lot of people that are bidding up the value of what you are
selling. Many of the items on ebay would never find a buyer otherwise.
Its not like you're going to put up a sign at the airport, asking if
anyone wants an old Narco radio.

-Robert

Vision Plans for Sale on Ebay Mike C Home Built 1 October 30th 04 06:58 AM
Selling on Ebay Jay Honeck Piloting 34 May 28th 04 06:29 PM
Airplane Parts on Ebay Vac Reg Valves, Fuel Floats, O-200 Spider, Fuel Injection Valve Bill Berle Home Built 0 January 26th 04 07:48 AM
Airplane Parts on Ebay Vac Reg Valves, Fuel Floats, O-200 Spider, Fuel Injection Valve Bill Berle Aviation Marketplace 0 January 26th 04 07:48 AM
Airplane Parts on Ebay Vac Reg Valves, Fuel Floats, O-200 Spider, Fuel Injection Valve Bill Berle Owning 0 January 26th 04 07:48 AM