things to carry

Old July 6th 04, 10:16 PM
Rosspilot

Another interesting item I added to my survival kit is a small handcranking
mini-generator that will re-charge a cellphone. It fits in the palm of one
hand, and comes with adaptors for every major cellular phone manufacturer.

http://www.skymall.com/webapp/skysto...ction=&pid=102
103488&catId=

I can definitely see where this could be a life-saver.

www.Rosspilot.com

Old July 7th 04, 02:31 AM
Blanche

I carry all that stuff in the knapsack (always within arm's reach)
but also a small fanny pack with

cell phone and spare battery
matches and a couple candles
leatherman
chapstick
whistle on lanyard
spare keys (house, car & airplane)

Don't laugh about the keys! I've gotten stuck out of town without
the house keys. Managed to get home but all the keys and the car
were at the hangar more than 30 miles away and no neighbors home.

Once is all it takes.

Old July 7th 04, 05:36 AM
Brian Burger

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004, Jonathan wrote:

EDR wrote:

In article hLwGc.16623$JR4.7695@attbi_s54, Gary Drescher
wrote:

A pilot crashed on a NH mountain in fog yesterday. He survived, but his
17-year-old son did not. Rescuers were able to find him in part because he
was blowing a whistle. I just added one to my flight bag.
(http://makeashorterlink.com/?J3AA12BB8)

1. First-aid kit
2. Compass and know how to use it
3. Map(s) of the area where you will be
4. Small functional pocket knife
5. Flashlight with good batteries (extras & bulb)
6. Raingear; parka and pants
7. Sunscreen
8. Extra food and water
9. Fire kit, waterproof container of matches, candle, etc.
10. Whistle

Nice list! I will be adding a few things to my flight bag.

For lots more information on survival gear, check out
http://www.equipped.com/ - Equipped to Survive Foundation.

Masses of good information - worth spending a few hours there. Doug Ritter
(who runs ETS) is a private pilot, too, so there's lots of
aviation-oriented stuff.

Brian.
Old July 7th 04, 05:45 AM
Brian Burger

Related to the 'what survival equipment do you carry' questions:

How many people here have any sort of First Aid/CPR training, or have
considered getting some?

If you've had training, are you legally & practically current in it? A CPR
ticket is legally valid for three years - practical currency, as always,
is another matter!

I did a Red Cross Standard First Aid & CPR 'C' course in November 2003;
I've skimmed through my textbook & class-notes a few times since, most
recently when I burnt my ankle with v. hot tea!

There's a St. John's Ambulance Wilderness First Aid course here in town
this fall that I'm seriously considering signing up for, too. Outside of
accidents in the hanger, pilots could well face a wilderness first aid
situation after a forced landing, where 'make the victim comfortable then
call 911' just isn't an option.

Compared to the costs of actually flying, these are inexpensive courses;
the Red Cross Standard First Aid was $80 Cdn (~$60 USD); the Wilderness
one is $180 Cdn (~$140 USD).

So, what First Aid training do people have?

Brian.

Old July 7th 04, 11:35 AM
Cub Driver

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 16:28:28 GMT, EDR wrote:

5. Flashlight with good batteries (extras & bulb)

A wise hiker once pointed out that there is nothing worth seeing in
the New Hampshire mountains at night--and if there is, you're better
off not seeing it.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
The Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
Viva Bush! weblog www.vivabush.org
Old July 7th 04, 11:36 AM
Cub Driver

11. Mosquito repellent!

(In fact, I don't carry several of the items you mention, but I sure
carry mosquito repellent.)

Old July 7th 04, 03:02 PM
Kees Mies

We have friends who have given each of their family members distinctive
whistles and they use their whistles to locate each other in stores and
parking lots. They were even able to keep track of each other at Disneyland
last year.

Thanks for the tip.
Next time I go to Disneyland I take some whistles with me.
Just to see how shows up when I blow them, sounds like fun.

-Kees.
Old July 7th 04, 03:10 PM
Nathan Gilliatt

In article c.ca,
Brian Burger wrote:

So, what First Aid training do people have?

CPR a few years back, first aid associated with my lifeguard training a
*long* time ago.

I've been considering taking the Red Cross First Responder class. It's
more involved than their 1- or 2-day first aid/CPR classes, and it
includes all of the CPR/AED segments.

I did some looking for Wilderness Medicine classes for my Dad a while
back and found these links:

National Safety Council
http://www.nsc.org/trainemerg/coursepages/wildfa.cfm

Wilderness Safety Council
http://www.wfa.net/

Wilderness Medical Society
http://www.wms.org/
http://www.wemjournal.org/

On a related note, Flying magazine had an "I learned about flying from
that" piece by a former Coast Guard crewman discussing the importance of
flares, mirrors, etc. when you hope to be found at sea. Some good points
for being rescued wherever you land. I'm not sure which issue it was in,
but it was recent.

- Nathan
Old July 7th 04, 03:16 PM
Jay Honeck

We have friends who have given each of their family members distinctive
whistles and they use their whistles to locate each other in stores and
parking lots. They were even able to keep track of each other at

Disneyland
last year.

???

You're kidding, right?

I can't imagine anything more rude, or annoying.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 7th 04, 03:43 PM
C J Campbell

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
We have friends who have given each of their family members distinctive
whistles and they use their whistles to locate each other in stores and
parking lots. They were even able to keep track of each other at

Disneyland
last year.

???

You're kidding, right?

I can't imagine anything more rude, or annoying.

I don't know. I have never been around them in public places, but that is
what they say they do. They seem to think it is less rude than shouting for
each other.

Should I recommend that they stay at Alexis Park Inn? :-)