Political Head warmers..rectal cavities

Old July 17th 04, 05:07 AM
Jay Beckman

"Paul Sengupta" wrote in
message ...
"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message
online.com...
Isn't there some password requirement for one of the DC airports? I

recall
reading here (which naturally means that it must be true {8^) that some
pilots have been diverted after getting the password wrong; there's no
second try permitted.

Something that's read out over the radio?

Paul

I'd be very suprised if this were the case.

I was just at DCA not too long ago. I sat at my gate for an hour with a
scanner and I didn't hear anything out of the ordinary being said verbally.

The only unusual thing I "heard" was a stuck mic on ground, meaning the
tower had to handle most of the ground movements for about 20 minutes or so.

Maybe they expect to see a specific XPndr squawk tied to a specific flight
number and if "Cactus" 1234 isn't squawking 5678 (or whatever...) it "fails"
the test?

Jay Beckman
Student Pilot - KCHD

Old July 19th 04, 01:33 AM
John T

"Jay Beckman" wrote in message

I'd be very suprised if this were the case.

Surprise!

I was just at DCA not too long ago. I sat at my gate for an hour
with a scanner and I didn't hear anything out of the ordinary being
said verbally.

You need to listen in on the PCT approach freqs when the planes check in
after handoff from ZDC. I don't know how the codeword program works (and
I'm not really all the interested in finding out), but you'll hear something
like:

"Airliner 123, descending to 9000 feet with Lima, gezundheit."

Just to demonstrate that it's not accidental, the controller sometimes needs
it repeated.

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/TknoFlyer

Old July 19th 04, 07:15 AM
Jay Beckman

"John T" wrote in message
ws.com...
"Jay Beckman" wrote in message

I'd be very suprised if this were the case.

Surprise!

I was just at DCA not too long ago. I sat at my gate for an hour
with a scanner and I didn't hear anything out of the ordinary being
said verbally.

You need to listen in on the PCT approach freqs when the planes check in
after handoff from ZDC. I don't know how the codeword program works (and
I'm not really all the interested in finding out), but you'll hear

something
like:

"Airliner 123, descending to 9000 feet with Lima, gezundheit."

Just to demonstrate that it's not accidental, the controller sometimes

needs
it repeated.

--
John T

Very interesting...it makes sense that it would be farther out on the
approach.

Thanks John.

Jay

Old July 19th 04, 08:28 PM
Michael

"Tom Sixkiller" wrote
Something that's read out over the radio?

Possibly. It could be like the military authentication codes.

Many things are possible, but only one is true. A good friend of mine
is captain for a major airline, has flown in using the procedure, and
told me what actually happens over a beer. Here's how it really is:

It is read out over the radio. In plain english. It's not like an
authentication code. It's a password. One word. Valid for the
entire day. You only get one chance to get it right - get it wrong
and you're sent elsewhere. But all you have to do is listen on
frequency (which is public - it's the standard approach frequency) for
20 minutes or so, and you will know the secret word. It's that
simple, since every airliner uses it on first contact.

Michael