noise pollution from private planes

Old March 25th 05, 08:47 PM

Default noise pollution from private planes

I live in a relatively quiet city, until recently. A flight school
opened up across the bay from me, and all day long, all I can hear
outside are these private plane motor noises.

It is really awful. It is like having a gas powered lawn mover
above me all day long. As one plane leaves, another one takes
its place. I am grateful when the evening comes, or for a rainy
day, so I wont hear them anymore.

Let's get some noise control on these small planes before we all go
crazy.

Old March 26th 05, 12:10 AM
Scott D.

I have been on the news groups almost everyday for the last 12 years
and enjoy subscribing to the groups that interest me. It was
relatively quiet here in R.A.M. Then one day, trolls found out a way
to bug me by writing crap just to stir crap up and they have no real
merit in what they write.

It is real awful. Its like getting junk mail in your mailbox
everyday. As one gets kill filed, there are two more to take its
place. Unfortunately, It doesnt make a difference if it is rain or
shine, so there is no relief in sight.

Lets get some noise control on these trolls before we all go crazy.

Cheers
Scott D

On 25 Mar 2005 11:47:47 -0800, wrote:

I live in a relatively quiet city, until recently. A flight school
opened up across the bay from me, and all day long, all I can hear
outside are these private plane motor noises.

It is really awful. It is like having a gas powered lawn mover
above me all day long. As one plane leaves, another one takes
its place. I am grateful when the evening comes, or for a rainy
day, so I wont hear them anymore.

Let's get some noise control on these small planes before we all go
crazy.

Scott D

To email remove spamcatcher
Old March 26th 05, 09:18 AM
Capt. 'Wild' Bill Kelso, USAAC

"Scott D." wrote:

I have been on the news groups almost everyday for the last 12 years
and enjoy subscribing to the groups that interest me. It was
relatively quiet here in R.A.M. Then one day, trolls found out a way
to bug me by writing crap just to stir crap up and they have no real
merit in what they write.

It is real awful. Its like getting junk mail in your mailbox
everyday. As one gets kill filed, there are two more to take its
place. Unfortunately, It doesnt make a difference if it is rain or
shine, so there is no relief in sight.

Lets get some noise control on these trolls before we all go crazy.

Cheers
Scott D

KB!!
I am BillGatus of Borg. Resistance is futile. You will be assim
[General Protection Fault]
Old March 27th 05, 12:43 PM
Andrew

Scott D. wrote:
I have been on the news groups almost everyday for the last 12 years
and enjoy subscribing to the groups that interest me. It was
relatively quiet here in R.A.M. Then one day, trolls found out a way
to bug me by writing crap just to stir crap up and they have no real
merit in what they write.

It is real awful. Its like getting junk mail in your mailbox
everyday. As one gets kill filed, there are two more to take its
place. Unfortunately, It doesnt make a difference if it is rain or
shine, so there is no relief in sight.

Lets get some noise control on these trolls before we all go crazy.

Troll or not, it's a fair topic for discussion. My personal peeve with
small planes is the lack of curfew. I get one or two of these things
fying over my house at around 500 feet every night between 1am and 5am.
They are like loud Harley Davidsons with wings. I don't think the
pilot's convenience shout outweight the inconvenience of the interrupted
sleep of everyone he overflies.

OTOH, the OP knew he was moving to a residence near an airport.

Andrew

Old March 27th 05, 08:06 PM
Scott D.

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 11:43:03 +0000 (UTC), Andrew
wrote:

Scott D. wrote:
[...]

Now lets turn what you said around and think of it in another light. I
know several people that fly to work. They are pilots that work in
another city but they would rather live where they are and not move.
Would you want to restrict their mode of transportation to go to work?
It is no different than getting in a vehicle and going to work. It is
just their way and it gives them a freedom on not having to live in a
big city but being able to work in one where the pay is better. I
live in an airport community right off the runway. When I hear that
sound, it reminds me of the freedoms that we do have. I moved here
knowing that, yes sometimes people would be flying in late hours.
They may be getting in from a long vacation or a business trip. There
is no difference then if they were driving home and getting in late

Now, it is true that there may be a few "pleasure" flights. I
remembered when I was working evening shifts and I would get off of
work at 0200. There would be times that I would be so wound up and
stressed that I would go out to the airport and go fly. This calmed
me and relaxed me. Just being up there by myself and not having to
deal with people. After about a 30-40 min flight I would come down
and I would be a different person. I would do this maybe once a month.
So it was more a therapy than anything else.

When I lived in town, I lived on a corner lot where there was a stop
sign. There would be times that people would come to a stop at that
stop sign with the radio just blaring and you hear the thump thump
thump from the base. I just lived with it knowing that if I wanted to
not hear it any more, I had to move. Was it unpleasant, sure it was,
but it was just a fact that having a stop sign in front of my house,
people had to stop and I knew that it would only last for a few
seconds and then they were gone.

Now you said that you have planes flying over your house at 500 feet.
Unless you live at the departure end or approach end of a runway, I
find that very unlikely that it happens "all" the time. Pattern work
is done at around 1000" and it is quite dangerous to be flying that
low at night away from the airport, where there might be some kind of
obstruction.