FAA "Centers" have primary radar?

Old August 7th 07, 04:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

Default FAA "Centers" have primary radar?

Owen wrote:
The FAA's strategy changed in September, 2001.

Yes.

Primary
coverage will be with us to stay, and may even be expanded in some areas.

Radar's days are limited. After ADS-B gets rolled out radar sites will
be decommissioned.

Old August 7th 07, 05:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Newps" wrote

Radar's days are limited. After ADS-B gets rolled out radar sites will be
decommissioned.

So, will all GA aircraft be required to have an ADS-B system onboard?
--
Jim in NC

Old August 7th 07, 11:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
Newps wrote:

Primary
coverage will be with us to stay, and may even be expanded in some areas.

Radar's days are limited. After ADS-B gets rolled out radar sites will
be decommissioned.

Primary radar will remain in the NAS until the US Air Defense Sectors aren't
required to monitor the NAS. Civilian ATC might not use them, the NORAD, etc
will still require primary radars.

--
Bob Noel
(goodness, please trim replies!!!)

Old August 7th 07, 01:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

"Luke Skywalker" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Aug 6, 8:30 am, ATControlr wrote:
On Aug 5, 4:43 pm, "Danny Deger" wrote:

In another thread I am in a discussion on radar capability for FAA
"Centers". My recollection is that they typically have no primary

radar,
thus no capability to paint weather. Someone is telling me they do.
Anybody out there have the answer. Maybe some do and some don't, and

the
ones I used in the past don't.

--
Danny Deger

NASA offered me $15,000 to take down my web site. Take a look and see

why.www.dannydeger.net

FAA Centers do have the capability to paint primary targets. The
quality of radar coverage for primary targets is somewhat spotty. A
primary may or may not be painted depending on a lot of different
circumstances. Weather affects this capability too. Since we do have
primary capability, it can paint flocks of birds, weather, non-
transponder equipped planes, etc. We have recently gotten an upgrade
to our scopes that allows better weather depiction. Previously weather
depiction was very inaccurate. Our radar antennas turn at a speed
twice that or normal weather radar so our depiction used to be very
poor. I am an air traffic controller - 27+ years.

You seem amazingly lucid for having been a controller for almost 30
years. Congratulations. I would have blown a fuse in about 2 days!

Robert

I share your sentiments, and your limitation, but you still owe me a
keyboard!

Peter

Old August 7th 07, 02:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.piloting
Luke Skywalker

On Aug 6, 10:29 pm, Newps wrote:
Owen wrote:

The FAA's strategy changed in September, 2001.

Yes.

Primary

coverage will be with us to stay, and may even be expanded in some areas.

Radar's days are limited. After ADS-B gets rolled out radar sites will
be decommissioned.

Maybe but my guess is maybe not. Air Traffic Control might "primary"
off of some other form of "radio direction and ranging" but 9/11
pointed out that "primary" still does its job. I am 40...if I Live as
long as my Father has (so far) or my Great Grandfather (106) I suspect
that "primary" is still radiating.

Robert

Old August 8th 07, 04:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.piloting

On Aug 6, 9:34 am, "Danny Deger" wrote:
I would like thank everybody for all of the information. I have made
changes to my book to reflect Centers in general have skin paint capability.
There must be something unique about Washington Center's radar out over the
Atlantic Ocean Warning Areas that prevented them from getting a skin paint
on my friend's F-4.

The short summary of my friend's fatal flight is: he lost all electrical
power and decided to rejoin on another F-4 in the warning area. The lights
he picked out were not an F-4, but an airliner out over the ocean headed to
Miami (we were off the coast of North Carolina). By the time they realized
their mistake, they didn't have enough fuel to get back to land and ended up
bailing out in the ocean. 6 days later a fishing trawler picked up the back
seater and the front seater was never found. Without a skin paint, the
search and rescue forces looked in the wrong place.

More details in my book you can get for free from my web site. Feel free to
download and email to your friends.

--
Danny Deger

NASA offered me $15,000 to take down my web site. Take a look and see why.www.dannydeger.net

F-4. Is this some old event? That certainly changes the discussion.
At least mode-s is out of the question.

Old August 8th 07, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.piloting
Danny Deger

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Aug 6, 9:34 am, "Danny Deger" wrote:

snip

F-4. Is this some old event? That certainly changes the discussion.
At least mode-s is out of the question.

It happened in about 1983. You can read up on the details in my book you
can download for free.

Danny Deger
www.dannydeger.net

Old September 3rd 07, 07:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.piloting
David Lesher

Newps writes:

Owen wrote:
The FAA's strategy changed in September, 2001.

Primary
coverage will be with us to stay, and may even be expanded in some areas.

Radar's days are limited. After ADS-B gets rolled out radar sites will
be decommissioned.

I doubt that. I've no doubt they'll be downgraded, but as much as the FAA
would love to unplug them, other folks will object.

That said, while the primary radar exists; I hear it's less and less well
maintained. Hopefully it can still spot invading Zeppelins but lesser
targets...?

[Pre WWII, the Germans flew the Graf Zeppelin airship around looking
to see if the British had radar. Trouble was, they were not listening
anywhere near the ~30 Mhz freq. used by the Brit's system.. Needless to
say, to Chain Home it must have looked like a parachute flare in a pitch
black darkroom...]

--
A host is a host from coast to

FWD: Article "Logan to get radar to detect ships - Monitoring could improve flow of air traffic" Jon Piloting 0 April 18th 07 09:22 PM
FWD: Article "Logan to get radar to detect ships - Monitoring could improve flow of air traffic" Jon Instrument Flight Rules 0 April 18th 07 09:22 PM
Old polish aircraft TS-8 "Bies" ("Bogy") - for sale >pk Aviation Marketplace 0 October 16th 06 07:48 AM
"Are you worried about all those non-green colors on the radar?" Peter R. Instrument Flight Rules 35 May 26th 06 01:19 AM