VFR Flight Following -- What's going on here?

Old June 22nd 05, 03:26 AM
Matt Barrow

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
Ben Hallert wrote:
How? If they have to rely on primary radar alone, then how could they
reasonably be sure they were watching the plane they thought they were?

By watching the blip.

???

I've flown into Dulles with only a receiver
and primary radar return (turns for identification and to indicate
our intents). I've also departed Dulles with comms but with no
transponder while the primary radar is out. ATC can be resourceful
when they have to be.

Performing FF for a transponsderless aircraft on the Atlantic seaboard seems
to be towards the bottom of their priorities (capacities??).

Matt -- never has flown east of Nashville.
---------------------
Matthew W. Barrow
Site-Fill Homes, LLC.
Montrose, CO

Old June 22nd 05, 03:26 AM
Chip Jones

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
nk.net...

[snipped] how is he supposed to get that notification to the controller?

Key up on the frequency in question with an "Attention any aircraft this
frequency, this is Piper 56993, apparently I've lost comm with the Center,
could you relay a message to ATC for me?"

Chip, ZTL

Old June 22nd 05, 03:31 AM
Matt Barrow

"Chip Jones" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
nk.net...

[snipped] how is he supposed to get that notification to the controller?

Key up on the frequency in question with an "Attention any aircraft this
frequency, this is Piper 56993, apparently I've lost comm with the Center,
could you relay a message to ATC for me?"

And if that doesn't work? (My Risk Management training coming to the fore).

--
Matt
---------------------

Old June 22nd 05, 03:32 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Chip Jones" wrote in message
ink.net...

Key up on the frequency in question with an "Attention any aircraft this
frequency, this is Piper 56993, apparently I've lost comm with the Center,
could you relay a message to ATC for me?"

And when nobody answers? This was in the wee hours.

Old June 22nd 05, 04:29 AM
Newps

Gig 601XL Builder wrote:

Newps,

Are you a Center controller? If so e-mail me off list I have a question

No, approach control.

Old June 22nd 05, 04:30 AM
Newps

Ben Hallert wrote:

How? If they have to rely on primary radar alone, then how could they
reasonably be sure they were watching the plane they thought they were?

They'll tag up the primary.

Old June 22nd 05, 04:32 AM
Newps

Jay Honeck wrote:

How would *you* have handled it?

What I do when this happens is to stay on the freq. an wait until
some airliner overhead talks to the controller (be it Center or
Approach). Snip

Nowadays make a call on 121.5. There's a million aircraft listening
there these days. Some aircraft will hear you and relay the message.

Thanks for the suggestion. Is that considered a legitimate use of
121.5?

Absolutely.

I have been under the impression that 121.5 was reserved for
emergencies only.

We hear at least a dozen calls a day from airliners calling airliners
because they missed a freq change. You use what works.
Old June 22nd 05, 04:33 AM
Newps

Chris G. wrote:

Newps wrote:

FSDO is not the right place to call. Call your local TRACON or Center.

Actually, the FSDO in Hillsboro, Oregon, was VERY helpful. There is no
need to bug the tracon or center with this question. They're busy
making sure planes get to where they need to be.

They're not that busy that they can't answer that.

Chris

PS, your name is?

An enigma.

Old June 22nd 05, 04:35 AM
Newps

Matt Barrow wrote:

"Chip Jones" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
link.net...

[snipped] how is he supposed to get that notification to the controller?

Key up on the frequency in question with an "Attention any aircraft this
frequency, this is Piper 56993, apparently I've lost comm with the Center,
could you relay a message to ATC for me?"

And if that doesn't work? (My Risk Management training coming to the fore).

Then crash and set off the ELT. We will find you.

Old June 22nd 05, 04:43 AM
Peter Duniho

"Newps" wrote in message
PS, your name is?

An enigma.

It's no enigma. We all know you're The Tick using a secret identity. The
misspelled anagram of "Spoon!" is a dead giveaway.

I thought it was pretty funny "Chris G." giving you crap about your "screen
name", given that he's just as anonymous as you are.