THIS is the cockpit display tech we need

Old November 15th 11, 04:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

Default THIS is the cockpit display tech we need

http://rdd.me/ryoliosm I doesn't matter how 'smart' our gadgets are
if you can't read the damn screens with a quick glance. Qualcom's
Mirasol display looks like a magazine cover in direct sunlight.
Old November 15th 11, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Beautiful technology always available one year in future...
Watch the projected-delay graph ;-)
Old November 15th 11, 09:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JohnDeRosa

On Nov 15, 10:54*am, Bill D wrote:
Qualcom's Mirasol display looks like a magazine cover in direct sunlight.

And at 1/10th the power requirements. Important for gliders but this
will also really impact battery life for everything from laptops,
tablets to cell phones.
Old November 16th 11, 01:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_2_]

Old November 16th 11, 04:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

On Nov 15, 10:54*am, Bill D wrote:

Qualcom's Mirasol display looks like a magazine cover in direct sunlight.

And at 1/10th the power requirements. *Important for gliders but this
will also really impact battery life for everything from laptops,
tablets to cell phones.

I hate to break it to you guys, but there is a gorgeous sunlight
readable display on the market, the clear-nav. SN10 is pretty easy to
read too, but offers less stuff on the screen, which Dave might argue
is an advantage. No need to wait...
John Cochrane

The Dell Streak 5 is only $200-$400 and has a great sun readable
display.

Ramy
Old November 16th 11, 08:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Max Kellermann

Ramy wrote:
The Dell Streak 5 is only $200-$400 and has a great sun readable
display.

$150

http://www.streaksmart.com/2011/11/c...-unlocked.html
http://www.cowboom.com/product/753676

Unfortunately sold out, but once there's another cheap offer, get one
quickly while you can!

The Dell Streak Mini is still the best cockpit device you can get
currently. It takes advantage of the sunlight (transflective screen)
instead of trying to beat the sun.

Max

Old November 16th 11, 01:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
C-FFKQ (42)

Max,
Does the Streak support connecting to the modern varios to get data? (Sorry if I'm being stupid).

-John
Old November 16th 11, 02:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Max Kellermann

Default Streak connectivity

"C-FFKQ (42)" wrote:
Does the Streak support connecting to the modern varios to get data? (Sorry if I'm being stupid).

Yes! I know two options:

- Bluetooth (with a RS-232 adapter, e.g. K6-Bt or VFBT-1 just to name
two expensive ones).

- Android-IOIO is a board that allows connecting up to four RS-232
ports to any Android device. Unfortunately, it requires some
soldering, but I hope a vendor will pick it up and sell boxes based
on it, for those of us who don't like hacking hardware.

My Streak is connected to a CAI302 and a FLARM, with two Bluetooth
adapters. It just works, no hassle.

Max
Old November 16th 11, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Nov 15, 10:54*am, Bill D wrote:

Qualcom's Mirasol display looks like a magazine cover in direct sunlight.

And at 1/10th the power requirements. *Important for gliders but this
will also really impact battery life for everything from laptops,
ablets to cell phones.

I hate to break it to you guys, but there is a gorgeous sunlight
readable display on the market, the clear-nav. SN10 is pretty easy to
read too, but offers less stuff on the screen, which Dave might argue
is an advantage. No need to wait...
John Cochrane

The Craggy Aero Ultimate Le offers a totally sunlight readable 6.4"
diagonal display and it runs popular software, SeeYou, StrePla,
LK8000.

Power draw at full backlight 800 mAmps

http://www.craggyaero.com/ultimate_le.htm

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old November 16th 11, 04:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

On Nov 15, 10:54*am, Bill D wrote:

Qualcom's Mirasol display looks like a magazine cover in direct sunlight.

And at 1/10th the power requirements. *Important for gliders but this
will also really impact battery life for everything from laptops,
tablets to cell phones.

I hate to break it to you guys, but there is a gorgeous sunlight
readable display on the market, the clear-nav. SN10 is pretty easy to
read too, but offers less stuff on the screen, which Dave might argue
is an advantage. No need to wait...
John Cochrane

Don't think so.

Current engineering specs say 1500 nits brightness is required for
'good' readability in direct sunlight. CCFL's backlights delivering
that brightness would pull amps, not mili-amps. LED backlights are
better but current draw and heating are still problems. If you did
somehow create a screen with 1500 nits brightness, it would be like
looking into a car headlight.

I can't find the specs, but I'm guessing the best glider displays are
in the 500 - 1000 nit brightness range and pull around .8 amps.

Far easier on the eyes and battery would be a high-contrast, high
color saturation REFLECTIVE display like the Mirasol technology.