Inreach Mini

Old February 6th 19, 11:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

Default Inreach Mini

Dan,

Inreach prices have dropped a lot.

https://explore.garmin.com/en-US/inreach/

They could do a better job of explaining their plans... but guys paying $150 a year for Spot 1, 2 or 3 might want to take a look. I use the safety plan and suspend for the off season.

-Evan

On Wednesday, February 6, 2019 at 4:45:06 PM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
I was actually looking at inReach until I found the following in the
small print:

Minimum cost is $49.90 on the inReachâ„¢
Safety Plan, $64.90 on the inReachâ„¢ Recreation Plan, $89.90 on the
inReachâ„¢ Expedition Plan and $119.90 on the inReachâ„¢ Adventurer
Plan.

Ii appears that if you just leave the
thing in a bag for emergency use, you'll pay $29.95 to activate
the unit, $0.30/track point if you use it for tracking,
$0.85/message if you send (or I would guess) receive a text, and,
if you don't use it enough to get up to $49.90/month, that's what
you'll pay as a minimum.Â* Then there's the acquisition cost...

That rivals DirecTV in cost and I dumped them.

On 2/6/2019 11:56 AM, Tango Eight wrote:

On Wednesday, February 6, 2019 at 1:29:49 PM UTC-5, Dan Daly wrote:

On Wednesday, February 6, 2019 at 11:08:46 AM UTC-5, Tango Eight wrote:

Inreach is useful in non-emergency situations when working phones are scarce. I used to arrange one retrieve last Summer, worked great. Service is $20 a month, $2 a month when suspended, in case this clears up any misconceptions about that.

***some deleted***

On 2/6/2019 5:31 AM, Tango Eight wrote:

Has anyone found anything not to like about the Inreach Mini?

@T8 - perhaps in the U.S.; here in Canada it's $44.95 plus 13% tax/month for the plan that can be suspended ($34.95/mo annual with no suspension). We have great OGN coverage that will give the Rescue Coordination Centre a good starting point. To me, not worth it here - but at half the price, maybe.
Cheers

Check out the "safety" plan.

-T8

--

Dan, 5J

Old February 6th 19, 11:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

On Wednesday, February 6, 2019 at 7:31:05 AM UTC-5, Tango Eight wrote:
Has anyone found anything not to like about the Inreach Mini?

T8

Evan, it is a very new device so I am not sure if you are going to find anyone with enough experience to give you good insight. Before I bought mine I watched some youtube reviews. They gave me a good idea about cons and pros.. I am planning to connect it next month so I will be able to comment in a couple of months.
Old February 6th 19, 11:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Wednesday, February 6, 2019 at 5:44:40 PM UTC-5, JS wrote:

If it connects to a phone like the other InReach devices the mini should be fine. Personally don't find the InReach SE cumbersome, or expensive for that matter.
Suggest downloading the Garmin Earthmate app and the Text To Speak engine for the phone you'll connect, so you can use speech to text in the middle of nowhere. Test it at home in airplane mode.

OGN is great, but the N part needs to be much larger to be functional. Opening the OGN app and panning around N America, found only three stations in New Mexico and one between Montreal and Ottawa. Is that the extent of the N. American network?

I also use amateur radio APRS tracking. That network is huge compared to OGN, but still has blanks.
Jim

I have the Delorme Inreach Explorer. It works great. The cell phone pairing and Earthmate app are excellent. Reason for my specific question: I have friends looking at buying an inreach device. I recommended the Mini, but have no hands on experience with it, so I thought I'd throw out the question. Multi-day back country types bitch about the battery life (Amazon reviews), but for soaring it seems like the Mini would be ideal.

-Evan
Old February 7th 19, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

@JS: In the summer, there are two stations east of Ottawa (between Ottawa and Montreal), three west of Ottawa (and three stations testing at home in Ottawa), and two east of Montreal. We don't keep them up for the winter. We start flying around April 15th (fingers crossed). I will send a map showing the coverage. We're looking for a station up in the hills north of the Ottawa River...
Old February 7th 19, 12:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Wednesday, February 6, 2019 at 7:08:50 PM UTC-5, Dan Daly wrote:
[...]

There are also a growing number of stations west of Toronto - preparing for the Pan American Gliding Championship - which will track the active cross-country flown there.

And, we have beer...

Old February 7th 19, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
joesimmers[_2_]

I have the safety plan for $12 a month.

I can upgrade during flying months to the recreation
plan for $25 a month with unlimited tracking.

If you land out without cell service, it sure is nice
to be able to send a text.

I had the Inreach SE before this, the Mini battery does
not last as long but seems like it still works for 50 hours.
Old February 7th 19, 10:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, February 6, 2019 at 4:31:05 AM UTC-8, Tango Eight wrote:
Has anyone found anything not to like about the Inreach Mini?

T8

I have an InReach Mini. So far, I love it. It's very compact and the battery lasts a long time. I can get several 4+ hour flights out of it before the battery is halfway drained, at which point I recharge it. I haven't used it to send messages yet, and that is likely its weak point since entering text into it is cumbersome. However, you can put in pre-programmed messages that you can send instantly and in most cases, will save you from typing much of anything. I clip it to a strap on my parachute, and it's small enough that I never feel like it's in the way.
Old February 7th 19, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Thursday, February 7, 2019 at 5:04:59 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I have an InReach Mini... I clip it to a strap on my parachute...

Where it will not be when you need it.
Please use a proper sewn/strapped pouch.
No clips and no velcro.
Be safe out there,
Best Regards, Dave
Old February 7th 19, 10:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, February 7, 2019 at 2:28:26 PM UTC-8, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Thursday, February 7, 2019 at 5:04:59 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I have an InReach Mini... I clip it to a strap on my parachute...

Where it will not be when you need it.
Please use a proper sewn/strapped pouch.
No clips and no velcro.
Be safe out there,
Best Regards, Dave

By clip, I meant an aluminum carabiner that was supplied with the unit. It's not going anywhere, even in a bailout.

New inReach Device - Mini [email protected] Soaring 5 May 7th 18 06:18 AM
New - Garmin inReach Mini - Available June 15, 2018 Paul Remde Soaring 0 May 4th 18 04:48 AM
Inreach Tango Eight Soaring 4 May 2nd 18 02:26 PM
InReach died Dan[_6_] Soaring 6 February 25th 17 12:19 AM
Inreach best way to mount? joesimmers[_2_] Soaring 7 April 5th 14 03:34 PM