Hydralics vurnability by design.

Old February 5th 08, 02:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Hydralics vurnability by design.

When I read about Japan Airlines Flight 123 (Boeing 747-SR46) that crashed due
a bad repair of the rear pressure bulkhead. And the subsequent rupture of ALL
hydralic pipes. It makes me wonder WHY are airplanes designed with this
single-point-of-failure?

Seems a lot of crashs could been avoided if the hydralics system would been
intact.
So why not design some kind of redudancy into the hydralics system?, just
seperating the hydralic pipe route could improve safety by minimising the
chance of all hydralics failing.
Or even have a electrical servo backup system should hydralics fail?

Bad repair - Hydralics ripped
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan_Airlines_Flight_123
Cargo door - Hydralics ripped
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America...ines_Flight_96
Engine rupture - Hydralics ripped
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America...nes_Flight_191
Turkish DC-10 crashed at Orly due to total loss of hydraulic power
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...15/ai_70429487
Old February 5th 08, 06:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Feb 5, 6:22*am, wrote:
When I read about Japan Airlines Flight 123 (Boeing 747-SR46) that crashed due
a bad repair of the rear pressure bulkhead. And the subsequent rupture of ALL
hydralic pipes. It makes me wonder WHY are airplanes designed with this
single-point-of-failure?

Seems a lot of crashs could been avoided if the hydralics system would been
intact.
So why not design some kind of redudancy into the hydralics system?, just
seperating the hydralic pipe route could improve safety by minimising the
chance of all hydralics failing.
Or even have a electrical servo backup system should hydralics fail?

You really should write to Boeing and Airbus about this discovery
you've made. You may save lives!! Please, please post their response
if they respond to you.

-Robert
Old February 5th 08, 09:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
tom418

There IS redundancy built in Boeings. On a B727, it's called Manual
Reversion. There's also a Standby Hydraulic system for the Lower Rudder

Hanger design stevehaley Soaring 6 October 26th 06 06:14 PM
3D design island life Rotorcraft 4 October 23rd 05 01:31 AM
DR-107 One Design [email protected] Aerobatics 0 October 12th 05 09:45 PM
3D design island life Rotorcraft 0 September 13th 05 02:36 PM
Winch design c1rrus Soaring 10 January 19th 04 12:18 PM