Women's Worlds

Old January 13th 20, 12:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

Default Women's Worlds

On Sunday, January 12, 2020 at 7:15:33 AM UTC-8, Nick Kennedy wrote:
This has turned into a CLASSIC off the rails RAS thread, good job boys!

I feel Aude Untersee's pain of getting a zero on day one.

Some will remember in Nephi a few years back after a navigation error I got a first day score of negative 100. Fly all day and wind up below zero.
That will deflate your balloon.
Had a couple beers after that brilliant maneuver.

Good Luck to the US Team ! I hope they have a fine finish!

Thanks for trying to keep the train on the rails, Nick.
Cooler morning today, waiting for the Mt. Kaputar smoke report before the C/D tasks are published.

Forecast looks good for the next three days, but with some much needed (but not good for glider racing) rain on Thursday and Friday. Stay tuned for more.

Jim
(my real name, ahem)
Old January 14th 20, 02:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Congratulations Sarah Arnold on yet another day win at 137kph (85 mph), increasing her overall lead to 196pts

Sharing the middle of the podium today were Alisa McMillian (AUS) at 157kph (98 mph) in 18m class and Jo Davis (AUS) at 130kph (81 mph) in Club Class.

Enjoying all the racing action live or in a replay when time suits you? You're not alone!

To date, the trackers have reported 2.1million positions and been viewed by 800-1,200 viewers per day.

The top 3 nations cheering the competitors on? Australia (22%), USA (18%) and Germany (15%).

You can still catch all the action at gtracklive: http://www.gtracklive.com/event.php?eventID=53

CJ for WWGC2020
Old January 16th 20, 01:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Tuesday, January 14, 2020 at 8:19:22 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Congratulations Sarah Arnold on yet another day win at 137kph (85 mph), increasing her overall lead to 196pts

Sharing the middle of the podium today were Alisa McMillian (AUS) at 157kph (98 mph) in 18m class and Jo Davis (AUS) at 130kph (81 mph) in Club Class.

Enjoying all the racing action live or in a replay when time suits you? You're not alone!

To date, the trackers have reported 2.1million positions and been viewed by 800-1,200 viewers per day.

The top 3 nations cheering the competitors on? Australia (22%), USA (18%) and Germany (15%).

You can still catch all the action at gtracklive: http://www.gtracklive.com/event.php?eventID=53

CJ for WWGC2020

Thanks CJ. Miss you at the Ridge. I see they've cancelled the launch and day Thursday(there) Wednesday(here) due to an approaching storm, and the forecast is for rain tomorrow (last scheduled flying day). NSW needs the rain, hope it's enough to break the drought.
Old January 16th 20, 02:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Karl Striedieck[_2_]

Pray for rain!!!!!

The next to last day was cancelled for rain and the last day is forecast to be hopeless as well. Rain dance scheduled here.

Organizers are discussing changing awards to a day earlier - Friday.

Can't wait to see Sarah holding that gold medal!!!

Old January 16th 20, 03:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Wednesday, January 15, 2020 at 8:26:19 PM UTC-5, Karl Striedieck wrote:
Pray for rain!!!!!

The next to last day was cancelled for rain and the last day is forecast to be hopeless as well. Rain dance scheduled here.

Organizers are discussing changing awards to a day earlier - Friday.

Can't wait to see Sarah holding that gold medal!!!

It will complete the set! Rain dancing in the snow up here...
Old January 16th 20, 07:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hey Dan,

I miss the motley crew at Ridge Soaring. Say g'day to Tom, Doris, John, Bill, Marty and the gang when you see them. Doing my Diamond Goal as a gliding noob to Cumberland and back between lake effect snow showers still rates as my best glider flight ever!

As for the WWGC, the rain is the best possible thing for the population and Sarah! Not so flash for those trying to improve their standing, however. To lose only 3 days to weather during the worst bushfires in living memory is a pretty remarkable outcome for a 2 week comp but hey, we're glider pilots. Can't help wanting just that little bit more.....

CJ

Old January 16th 20, 07:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Behm

That poor continent needs that rain regardless of the effect on the contest.
Fingers crossed for many reasons.
Old January 16th 20, 04:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Christopher Schrader[_2_]

Yes, I'll be crossing my fingers for rain too. But if they fly one more day, that would be OK too. I'm confident Sarah Arnold would find a way to win. She has flown superbly and consistently throughout #wwgc2019. Cheers to her and the rest of the US Women's Soaring Team and many thanks to all the donors make representing the USA possible. I look forward to watching Sarah Arnold at the upcoming 20-Meter Worlds and future World Gliding Championships. Watch out guys, there's a new Sheriff in town!

Best of luck Sarah!

- Chris Schrader

Old January 16th 20, 04:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou

I can't find anything that says the last day was cancelled and the contest is over.

Anyone have any more news?

Lou
Old January 16th 20, 04:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Lou, the contest is not over and won’t be untill the last contest day is flown or cancelled. The first window in which one of those two things may happen is about 7hrs from now (2300 Zulu). They will make every effort to fly but at this stage, I’d put the chances at 20%?

CJ

Day Win at Jr Worlds for USA [email protected] Soaring 4 August 16th 11 08:46 PM
LS-10 at the worlds. Why only ONE? John Bojack[_2_] Soaring 2 August 9th 10 08:39 AM
The Women, pt 2 - Etihad - women pilots.jpg (1/1) Mitchell Holman[_4_] Aviation Photos 2 April 19th 10 02:05 PM
Worlds first? nimbusgb Soaring 4 February 15th 08 02:05 AM
pre worlds BB Soaring 5 July 29th 07 01:59 AM