GPS active antennas

Old May 15th 04, 12:03 PM
Martin Gregorie

Default GPS active antennas

For some reason there seems to be a rash of new third party active
flat antennas going cheap on eBay right now. Prices are around GBP
24.00 while retail prices range upward from GBP 35 or so.

I just bought one for my GPS II+, fitted it and flew it yesterday.
Works fine and is definitely giving a much better signal at the
receiver.

If you've considered fitting one of these, now might be a good time to
buy it.

--
martin@ : Martin Gregorie
gregorie : Harlow, UK

Old May 15th 04, 02:54 PM
tango4

"Martin Gregorie" wrote in message
For some reason there seems to be a rash of new third party active
flat antennas going cheap on eBay right now. Prices are around GBP
24.00 while retail prices range upward from GBP 35 or so.

I just bought one for my GPS II+, fitted it and flew it yesterday.
Works fine and is definitely giving a much better signal at the
receiver.

If you've considered fitting one of these, now might be a good time to
buy it.

--
martin@ : Martin Gregorie
gregorie : Harlow, UK
demon :
co : Zappa fan & glider pilot
uk :

If you pay £35 for an active GPS antenna the shopkeeper saw you coming!

Brand new, warantied, Trimble branded patch antennas can be had for under
Euro 20

For a compact helix antenna ( better than a patch ) with cable and
termination offering 24 dB gain you pay Euro 37

Ian

Old May 15th 04, 07:38 PM
Martin Gregorie

On Sat, 15 May 2004 13:54:38 +0000 (UTC), "tango4"
wrote:

"Martin Gregorie" wrote in message
.. .
For some reason there seems to be a rash of new third party active
flat antennas going cheap on eBay right now. Prices are around GBP
24.00 while retail prices range upward from GBP 35 or so.

I just bought one for my GPS II+, fitted it and flew it yesterday.
Works fine and is definitely giving a much better signal at the
receiver.

If you pay £35 for an active GPS antenna the shopkeeper saw you coming!

Didn't see me coming: I saw his prices first. eBay has some uses after
all: it was a new unit too.

Seriously, it can be hard to find decent prices. I did what I thought
was a fairly extensive search and didn't find the Trimble unit: the
Gilsom on eBay was the best deal I found. In any case, compared with
the replacement cost of a GPS II+ passive antenna (extortionate - best
I can find is GBP 45 - 50) I reckon anything under GBP 30 for an
active antenna is acceptable.

--
martin@ : Martin Gregorie
gregorie : Harlow, UK