More wireless in airplanes stuff

Old April 11th 05, 02:45 AM
Nafod40

Default More wireless in airplanes stuff

While reading about Boeing's new 787 Dreamliner in AvLeak, I saw that
they will be piping the entertainment to the seatback displays via
wi-fi (or some other wireless technology) instead of wires. I was
surprised to see that...implies they've wrestled with the EMI issues
pretty thoroughly.

Old April 11th 05, 07:04 PM

Will probably save thousands of pounds of wire. EMI is not a big
problem to tackle if nature of emissions are known.
--
Gene Seibel
Gene & Sue's Aeroplanes - http://pad39a.com/gene/planes.html

Old April 21st 05, 05:13 AM
Don Hammer

I agree with your dad, but if you look at how much circuitry it takes
for a wireless connection to replace a simple length of wire, I don't
think you can say that wireless is less complex.

Matt

Matt,
Trust me, by the time you run a bunch of wires to each seat along with
net hubs etc in a larger aircraft, one wireless router saves a bunch
of weight and cost.
Old April 21st 05, 11:18 AM
Matt Whiting

Don Hammer wrote:

I agree with your dad, but if you look at how much circuitry it takes
for a wireless connection to replace a simple length of wire, I don't
think you can say that wireless is less complex.

Matt

Matt,
Trust me, by the time you run a bunch of wires to each seat along with
net hubs etc in a larger aircraft, one wireless router saves a bunch
of weight and cost.

Weight and cost, yes, complexity, no.

Matt
Old April 21st 05, 12:09 PM
Bob

Yes, complexity is higher, but the complexity is at the chip level.
This stuff is getting cheap and it's down to the hobbist level now.
check out http://www.sparkfun.com

As an Aerospace engr I always marveled at the no cell phone use or
other banned electronic devices on aircraft. The amount of testing we
go through to cert a piece of avionics is mind boggling and quite $$$$.
Some of these levels (EMI) would fry you.

Old April 21st 05, 07:42 PM
Don Hammer

Weight and cost, yes, complexity, no.

Matt

Maybe I don't understand what you are getting at. I put wireless in a
Gulfstream G-550. System was a short wire from the onboard server
(Part of the hight-speed data system) to the wireless hub and and
power to the hub. My other option was wires and jacks to each seat
and the cockpit from a hub. Why is wireless more complex?

http://www.usenet.com

Hidden costs of owning a Glider Doug Snyder Soaring 17 March 16th 05 08:46 PM
SMALLL airplanes.. BllFs6 Home Built 12 May 8th 04 12:48 PM
FS: 1990 Cracker Jack "War Time Airplanes" Minis 6-Card (CJR-3) Set J.R. Sinclair Aviation Marketplace 0 April 12th 04 05:57 AM