Time to hang it up?

Old April 24th 21, 06:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Time to hang it up?

On 4/21/2021 4:55 PM, John Sinclair wrote:
It’s been 50 years now since I soloed in gliders at Black Forest, Co in 1971. I have logged over 5000 hours, mostly racing. Only flew one time last year due to Covid-19, but this year I found myself dreading the work involved with hooking up the trailer, driving an hour and a half, assembling, cleaning and taping the bird then flying for maybe 3 hours, followed by disassembly, then driving another hour and a half back home! The energy to do all this was needed just to flying that day!
Last year there were 4 pilots in our club that were over 85, two have quit and another died on his third flight in a new electric sailplane.............that leaves me? I have decided it’s time to hang it up!
Thanks for all the good memories over the years, mostly racing sailplanes.
Pat & JJ Sinclair

I completely understand, and I'm younger and don't to drive nearly so far. A
smaller, lighter, simpler glider sounds very attractive to me right now. Jan and
I are happy we knew you and Pat during the years we went to contests. May good
fortune continue to find you two.

--
Eric Greenwell - USA
- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"
Old April 25th 21, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, April 24, 2021 at 1:06:13 PM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell wrote:
[...]

SIR ,

Just back from the race at Perry and I read this ..

I say well done , I say you did it right, I say you were my friend, you got what "we " got to do in the past.............!!!!!! , I say it is .........almighty !

You helped me when we asked, you helped lots and lots of folks.

Perfect JJ !

HW

Old April 29th 21, 01:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Sunday, April 25, 2021 at 2:42:29 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

If I had to travel 3 hours, plus assembly and derigging time, to fly I would probably quit too. That is why I own a motorglider that I keep tied down at my local airport. Pulling the covers off only takes 10 min and the airport is 15 min from my house. This week I played 18 holes of golf, drove to the airport, and had a 6 hour flight.

Tom
Old April 29th 21, 06:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan K

On Wednesday, April 28, 2021 at 8:26:32 PM UTC-4, 2G wrote:
[...]

Congratulations Tom, your medal is in the mail.
Old April 30th 21, 12:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

Thank you, JJ, for all your help and advice. I am saddened to see you are stopping flying, but glad you were able to make the decision on your own and without "prompting" from others. I will remember many things from my few meetings with you. Your willingness to provide relays while on air retrieves to save yourself and Pat many hours. The story of the landout where Pat got the nick name, "The Torch" and your tale of the helpers having two speeds: Stopped and faster than a a run. I will remember your serious side, as well as the fun side I got to see.

Congratulations on all you have accomplished, and Thank You for all those you helped keep in the air. I hope I can be a part of the trip to get that latest project you did. It looks GORGEOUS!

Thank you so much and do keep in touch and monitoring the frequency.

Steve Leonard
Old April 30th 21, 12:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Thursday, April 29, 2021 at 10:02:20 AM UTC-7, Evan K wrote:
[...]

As is your sarcasm metal. Now, maybe you have something meaningful to say (but probably not)...

Old April 30th 21, 02:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.

I have decided it’s time to hang it up!
Thanks for all the good memories over the years, mostly racing sailplanes..
Pat & JJ Sinclair

JJ:
Although you are not going to fly anymore, you are still a walking library of gliding knowledge. I hope that you can find a way to preserve that and share with the younger pilots all that you have learned in a lifetime of gliding. It would be wonderful if one of the younger "Podcast" pilots could interview you about your memories, flying techniques and repair knowledge. What you possess in your mind is invaluable the the sport.
All the best,
ROY
Old April 30th 21, 02:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.

JJ:
Although you are not going to fly anymore, you are still a walking library of gliding knowledge. I hope that you can find a way to preserve that and share with the younger pilots all that you have learned in a lifetime of gliding. It would be wonderful if one of the younger "Podcast" pilots could interview you about your memories, flying techniques and repair knowledge. What you possess in your mind is invaluable to the sport, as was your friendship to the community.
All the best,
ROY
Old May 1st 21, 12:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
gkemp

What you possess in your mind is invaluable to the sport, as was your friendship to the community.
All the best,
ROY

Wellllll!!!! some of us have been the victim of what is in his mind, I don't think we have to go there.

(for those with no sens of humor, just joking)

gkemp "NK"
Old May 1st 21, 06:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Sinclair[_5_]

On Friday, April 30, 2021 at 4:42:54 PM UTC-7, gkemp wrote:
What you possess in your mind is invaluable to the sport, as was your friendship to the community.
All the best,
ROY

Wellllll!!!! some of us have been the victim of what is in his mind, I don't think we have to go there.

(for those with no sens of humor, just joking)

gkemp "NK"

Now, now Dr. Kemp,
Just because I flew 1000K before you did, is no reason to be vindictive!
😁JJ