We're getting old, folks...

Old December 20th 05, 11:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default We're getting old, folks...

Here's the average age of pilots, comparing 1993 to 2003:

.....................1993 -- 2003
Student ........ 33.7 - 34.0
Rec ..............45.5 - 51.3
Private ..........42.7 - 46.5
Commercial ...41.9 - 45.6
ATP ..............44.1 - 47.0

Here are the number of private certificates issued:

1971-49,000
1976-55,000
1981-45,000
1986-34,000
1991-49,000
1996-24,000
2001-25,000
2004-23,000

Both of these are a one-way trips, ladies and gentlemen. What the heck
kind of GA are we going to have in 25 years, at this rate? What can
we do to arrest this rate of decline?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 20th 05, 11:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Force our kids to learn to fly and insist that they solo before they can
take their drivers test.
Insist that they pass their PPL before they graduate high school and their
CPL before you pay their first college tuition.

Just kidding.

On the flip side... just think how many extra airplanes will be available!!
2 airplanes in every hanger!

Jim

Old December 20th 05, 11:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jay Honeck wrote:
Here's the average age of pilots, comparing 1993 to 2003:

....................1993 -- 2003
Student ........ 33.7 - 34.0
Rec ..............45.5 - 51.3
Private ..........42.7 - 46.5
Commercial ...41.9 - 45.6
ATP ..............44.1 - 47.0

Wow, I'm almost exactly average. What an exciting thought... :-)

Matt
Old December 20th 05, 11:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Matt Whiting wrote:
Jay Honeck wrote:
Here's the average age of pilots, comparing 1993 to 2003:

....................1993 -- 2003
Student ........ 33.7 - 34.0
Rec ..............45.5 - 51.3
Private ..........42.7 - 46.5
Commercial ...41.9 - 45.6
ATP ..............44.1 - 47.0

Wow, I'm almost exactly average. What an exciting thought... :-)

Good God. There were pteradactyls in the pattern when I soloed.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old December 20th 05, 11:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Here's the average age of pilots, comparing 1993 to 2003:

The numbers are meaningless (though influential) without a comparison to
non-pilot actuarial data. The entire country is getting old, for the
same reason the social security system is broken. Baby boomers didn't
put enough babies into the pot.

Do the pilot certificate numbers merely reflect this national trend, or
is there a decline on top of it, or does it buck the trend (but not
sufficiently to cause an increase? I don't know, but that's where a
good part of the solution would lie.

Jose
--
You can choose whom to befriend, but you cannot choose whom to love.
Old December 21st 05, 12:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jay Honeck wrote:
Here's the average age of pilots, comparing 1993 to 2003:

another way to look at it is that it could be a sign of
improved safety (greater survival rate)

--Sylvain (optimist)

Old December 21st 05, 02:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jay Honeck wrote:
Here's the average age of pilots, comparing 1993 to 2003:

....................1993 -- 2003
Student ........ 33.7 - 34.0
Rec ..............45.5 - 51.3
Private ..........42.7 - 46.5
Commercial ...41.9 - 45.6

Boy, am glad to know that for the first time in my life I'm actually
above average. I've been trying to tell my wife that for years. Thanks
for brightening my day, Jay.

Arnold Sten

Don't forget to stop by your hospital & donate some blood folks. Flyingmonk Piloting 30 September 10th 05 03:52 AM
Lucky folks David Lesher Owning 9 August 5th 05 02:11 PM
Attention P4M-1Q folks JJ McIntyre Naval Aviation 0 June 4th 04 09:51 PM
Thanks for your help, folks! Jay Honeck Piloting 2 July 16th 03 05:32 PM