Do you always have oxygen?

Old November 14th 06, 02:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow

Default Do you always have oxygen?

"Blanche" wrote in message

Per FAA and other rules, O2 containers must be checked and certified
every 5 years. Refilling the tank varies depending on the FBO doing
the refill.

Oddly enough, I am unable to have the tank refilled at a medical
supply shop because I don't have a prescription for O2.

www.mhoxygen.com
www.aerox.com
www.c-f-c.com/supportdocs/abo1.htm
www.aviationoxygen.com

for details.

http://www.avweb.com/news/pelican/182079-1.html (for more details and
refutation of some myths).

Old November 14th 06, 03:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul kgyy

A decent portable system runs $500+. I have one but carry it only when
I expect to use altitudes above 10K, as with a recent trip to Denver.

I'm 69 yrs old and have the Nonin testing unit. I've had the Arrow up
to 13,000 and find that I can maintain O2 at 90+ with regular slow,
deep breathing.

Old November 14th 06, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

I'm 69 yrs old and have the Nonin testing unit. I've had the Arrow up
to 13,000 and find that I can maintain O2 at 90+ with regular slow,
deep breathing.

That's without supplemental O2?

Jose
--
"Never trust anything that can think for itself, if you can't see where
it keeps its brain." (chapter 10 of book 3 - Harry Potter).
Old November 14th 06, 05:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

T o d d P a t t i s t writes:

To answer the original question, I always carried oxy in my
glider, and never in my Champ (65 hp airplane). The
glider's been to above 30,000', the Champ to only 10,000'.

You've been above 30,000 feet in a glider? How did you get up that
high? Who towed you?

Old November 14th 06, 05:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Paul kgyy writes:

I'm 69 yrs old and have the Nonin testing unit. I've had the Arrow up
to 13,000 and find that I can maintain O2 at 90+ with regular slow,
deep breathing.

Slow, deep breathing will not provide you with any additional oxygen.
Seems like quite a risk to take. And 90 isn't that high.

Old November 15th 06, 09:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Mxsmanic,

You've been above 30,000 feet in a glider?

I have, too. Do a google search for "mountain wave".

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old November 15th 06, 01:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ol Shy & Bashful

If you don't have oxygen, you die. Doesn't matter if its with a bottle
or just plain from breathing.
Mxsmanic wrote:
I am curious to know how many GA pilots always have oxygen on board,
even if they don't normally fly at high altitudes. It seems like it
would be good to have around, but I don't know how much it costs. Do
oxygen systems have to be frequently topped off or inspected or
measured? Do they just consist of masks for passengers and pilots to
wear?

Old November 15th 06, 05:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Ol Shy & Bashful writes:

If you don't have oxygen, you die. Doesn't matter if its with a bottle
or just plain from breathing.

It's not a binary situation. If you don't have enough oxygen, you
die, but you can have enough to survive but not enough to escape
permanent or temporary negative effects of hypoxia.

Old November 18th 06, 04:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kyler Laird

T o d d P a t t i s t writes:

To address this post, however, I've always noticed the
altitude at about 16-17,000'. If you pull off the
mask/cannula well above that, you will probably pass out
before you really have a chance to notice the limited oxy,

Did that. Well, close. My cannula slipped out while I was trying out
my new relief bag. (It wasn't quite big enough and I got distracted.)
I thought my wife was going to get to land for the better part of a
minute before I realized what had happened.

When I first got my certificate our O2 system didn't work (and the
turbos weren't so hot either). I flew all the time right at the legal
limits. No problems.

Then I got the O2 system (and turbos) fixed. Now I hate to fly without
a good supply of oxygen. It's *so* handy to be able to go high and stay
there without fatigue. I also like it at lower altitudes at night or
when I'm tired after flying all day.

I also have a pulse oximeter. I recommend both the oximeter and the O2
system.

--kyler