Do you always have oxygen?

Old November 18th 06, 06:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Sylvain

Default Do you always have oxygen?

Kyler Laird wrote:

I also have a pulse oximeter. I recommend both the oximeter and the O2
system.

to be really on the safe side, you also want a good CO detector; if
you get intoxicated with carbon monoxide, the oximeter is still going
to show a healthy oxigen saturation (while in fact your hemoglobine is
starting to carry CO)

--Sylvain
Old November 18th 06, 08:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger (K8RI)

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 23:20:21 -0500, Kyler Laird
wrote:

T o d d P a t t i s t writes:

To address this post, however, I've always noticed the
altitude at about 16-17,000'. If you pull off the
mask/cannula well above that, you will probably pass out
before you really have a chance to notice the limited oxy,

That depends on a number of things. There are passes in the Himalians
that are above 17,500. Some going through there suffer from altitude
sickness but most don't and that is basically one mile up, through the
pass and one mile down hike all in one day so it is strenuous activity
in thin air. It's right near the border between Nepal and Manchuria
as I recall.

Did that. Well, close. My cannula slipped out while I was trying out
my new relief bag. (It wasn't quite big enough and I got distracted.)
I thought my wife was going to get to land for the better part of a
minute before I realized what had happened.

Some people get goofy well before 17,000 and some need O2 well before
12,000. I think it's probably a good idea for any one who flys at
night let alone more than 5 or 6,000 at night.

I've hiked at 14 to 14,5 with no ill effects even at my age. Even
though I live down here in the flat lands at 638' MSL and my daughter
lives at 9,000 I acclimate to the higher altitudes faster than she
does. OTOH my wife never aclimates to even staying at 14,500 let
alone doing anthing active. One nice thing about 9,000. They do not
have dust mites and my alergies are far better off out there. Curent;y
she's where it's very hot and humid and I doubt I'd do well there even
if it is near sea level.

I'd certainly not want to stay at 12,000 in an airplane without O2
though.

When I first got my certificate our O2 system didn't work (and the
turbos weren't so hot either). I flew all the time right at the legal
limits. No problems.

Then I got the O2 system (and turbos) fixed. Now I hate to fly without
a good supply of oxygen. It's *so* handy to be able to go high and stay
there without fatigue. I also like it at lower altitudes at night or
when I'm tired after flying all day.

I also have a pulse oximeter. I recommend both the oximeter and the O2
system.

--kyler

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old November 18th 06, 10:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul kgyy

Jose wrote:
I'm 69 yrs old and have the Nonin testing unit. I've had the Arrow up
to 13,000 and find that I can maintain O2 at 90+ with regular slow,
deep breathing.

That's without supplemental O2?

Yes, without supplemental. I know that 90% isn't great, but this was a
test case on a beautiful clear day to check out both myself and the
Nonin. Normally, over 10K I use the tank for at least part of the
flight.