Weight and balance, ballast, trim when flying alone

Old January 16th 08, 03:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Weight and balance, ballast, trim when flying alone

Robert M. Gary wrote:
On Jan 15, 5:37?pm, WingFlaps wrote:
On Jan 16, 8:58?am, Mxsmanic wrote:

Will wonders never cease, he admits it at last! The answer is that
MSFS simulation is nothing like really flying.

I hope not because I still can't land the Cessna 150 in MSFS.

-Robert

You think that's a problem?

I can't taxi a C-172 in MSFS.

Damn thing always winds up in a ground loop.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old January 16th 08, 03:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Jan 15, 7:35 pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Bertie, MX may not be overqualified as ballast.

OK, he's perfect. I can't imagine any box of lead doing a better job.

Lead's better. It doesn't argue.

Dan

Old January 16th 08, 04:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Frank Barchi

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
What is your method for handling weight and balance when you are piloting
small aircraft alone? Do you just trim to adjust for the lateral
imbalance,
or do you put something on the other side of the plane (ballast, luggage,
etc.) to balance it out, or what?

I like to keep a 170 lb. weight in my flight bag. ;-)

Frank

Old January 16th 08, 09:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
dVaridel

"Robert M. Gary" wrote
On Jan 15, 5:37 pm, WingFlaps wrote:
Will wonders never cease, he admits it at last! The answer is that
MSFS simulation is nothing like really flying.

I hope not because I still can't land the Cessna 150 in MSFS.

::chuckle::

I use FSX to practice IFR (as a strictly VFR pilot) and landing is hard work
in the sim as so many clues are just not there. It's a wacky universe in
there, I can complete a credible (as in still flyable afterward) circuit in
a B737 but can't pass the MS PPL checkride!

FS are cheap to run, but the real word is far, far better. Sorta like
comparing sandpaper with a beach ......

David

--
A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

Old January 16th 08, 10:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Tina,

Bertie, MX may not be overqualified as ballast.

Ah, but he might start to talk.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old January 16th 08, 10:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 02:24:43 +0000 (UTC), Bertie the Bunyip
wrote:

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

WingFlaps writes:

Will wonders never cease, he admits it at last! The answer is that
MSFS simulation is nothing like really flying.

I didn't say it was nothing like really flying,

It isn't anything like flying.

Bertie

my niece's boyfriend at the time was a mad keen flight sim flier.
on the last visit she sidled up to me and asked Unk' if he'd take the
boyfriend flying in the Tailwind.

unk takes him out and taught him how to fly straight and level and how
to make gentle turns at a fixed altitude. the boy did ok in the 40
mins we flew. he started with no real skills and was quite passable in
the end.

his comment on landing. "bloody hell the simulator is *nothing* like
real flying"

my friend the bunyip is not exaggerating.

Stealth Pilot
Old January 16th 08, 10:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 22:18:39 -0600, "Frank Barchi"
wrote:

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
.. .
What is your method for handling weight and balance when you are piloting
small aircraft alone? Do you just trim to adjust for the lateral
imbalance,
or do you put something on the other side of the plane (ballast, luggage,
etc.) to balance it out, or what?

I like to keep a 170 lb. weight in my flight bag. ;-)

Frank

this has to be one of the funniest threads in ages.
the utter absurdity of the question combined with the dry humour of
the answers.
funny as hell.

Stealth Pilot
Old January 16th 08, 11:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Jan 15, 9:20 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
I never burn fuel from a single side at a time, so I cannot comment on that.
Both the Bonanza and the Baron let you draw fuel from both tanks, and that's
how I leave it set.

If you are heavy and alone in the plane, it has a distinct tendency to bank
towards the heavy side. The Bonanza does this, anyway, so it's harder to
notice, but the Baron will do it, only not as obviously. When I first started
flying these aircraft I noticed odd banking tendencies and it took a while for
it to dawn on me that the aircraft was simply loaded unevenly.

You can run one tank dry in a Bonanza and have the other at 35 gallons
and only need 1/4 twist of the aileron trim to keep things balanced. I
haven't tried draining one side tank and tip tank, though, but that's
not the recommended procedure IAW the STC, so I won't be trying it.

I doubt there is a Bonanza flying with a "Both" selection.

If you're "flying" in MSFS, the aerodynamic positive stability
tendencies are exaggerated to make it less off putting for non-pilots.

I can always tell when I'm flying with a MSFS Pilot -- they flare
high, fixate on the instruments, and have poor coordination.

The real value to a real pilot of MSFS is practicing certain (albeit
limited) procedures, lesson preview and review, approach practice, and
assistance in acquiring an ear for ATC communications.

You're not really flying, though.

Dan
http://trainingforcfi.blogspot.com/

L23 weight and balance Tony Verhulst Soaring 5 December 31st 05 01:54 AM
Weight & Balance DVD jon Home Built 0 October 8th 05 05:39 PM
Weight and Balance Dale Larsen Home Built 2 June 23rd 04 05:11 PM
Weight and Balance JP Piloting 2 January 13th 04 10:54 AM
Weight and balance.. Bart Rotorcraft 9 August 19th 03 02:57 AM