Hercules Engines

Old January 16th 04, 11:27 AM
Phil Miller

Default Hercules Engines

Hey Splappy,

Do you remember this series of pronouncements;

From: "Tarver Engineering"
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military
Subject: Do Hercules military aircraft use the same fuel as civilian
aircraft?
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 19:19:37 -0800
snip
wrote in message
Not really. On the T56 engine TIT = (T)urbine (I)nlet (T)empreture.

Yes really, on every jet engine TIT is Total Inlet Temperature.

The name refers to the fact that it is an average across several
thermocouples.

John P. Tarver, MS/PE

USAF jet engine mechanic '74-'80

And;

From: "Tarver Engineering"
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military
aircraft?
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 10:32:29 -0800
snip
"Rick" wrote in message
You appear to be terribly confused with thermocouple connections ...
thermocouples are not wired in series.

Yes Rick, the thermocouples at the turbine inlet are connected in
series.

snip

Total inlet temperature is what it is and will not change
with anyting other than altitude, speed, and OAT. TIT will not effect
compressor inlet temperature.

What does that have to do with anything Rick?

The fuel control will use compressor inlet temp as an input to determine
the fuel flow needed to produce a gross power output and then the pilot
or in the TD system, a modulating valve will adjust TIT Turbine Inlet
Temperature to the desired level.

No Ricky, the fuel controller uses pressure one and temperature zero,
from the pitot tube, to adjust fuel flow.

Even us pilots understand that stuff ...

Not a chance of that Rick.

several others are attempting
to help you with terminology, accept that help graciously or you will
continue to dig yourself into a hole.

You are a ****ing moron Rick, stick with pure ****ing magic, 'cause you
know nothing about aircraft systems.

From: "Tarver Engineering"
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military
aircraft?
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 12:21:32 -0800

"Rick" wrote in message
"You are a ****ing moron Rick,"

Tsk, tsk, tsk ... sticks and stones and all that but for averaging,
themocouples are wired in parallel.

No way, that would be stupid.

Turbine Inlet Temperature is jsut what it says it is. On the T-56 it is
obtained by averaging the output of 18 thermocouples wired in parallel

That is a lot of wire, perhaps you would like to rethink your rediculess
assertion.

and eve though they are as wrong as the rest of us in this thread, the
Air Force, Rolls Royce, Allison, and even the Navy refer to T-5 as
TURBINE INLET TEMPERATURE.

That is fine for the PFM crowd, but quite incorrect.

snip

Have a really nice day.

I am.

John P. Tarver, MS/PE

Hmmmm...want to change your mind? This is your opportunity to prove all
us chooks wrong by showing that you can admit when you're wrong. Give it
a go.

Phil
--
Great Tarverisms #4

The pitot tube was added to the first American jets to prevent the
kind of failures that killed an entire squadron off Florida. Without
P1 and T0 a jet will stall in fog.

Thanks to both of you for playing.

John

rec.aviation.military
Old January 16th 04, 03:13 PM
Tarver Engineering

news

From: "Tarver Engineering"
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military
aircraft?
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 19:19:37 -0800
snip
wrote in message
Not really. On the T56 engine TIT = (T)urbine (I)nlet (T)empreture.

Yes really, on every jet engine TIT is Total Inlet Temperature.

Yep.

Have you considered yet, Miller, that your zero knowledge of aircraft makes
for a pretty rediculess archive troll?

From: "Tarver Engineering"
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military
aircraft?
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 19:19:37 -0800
snip
wrote in message
Not really. On the T56 engine TIT = (T)urbine (I)nlet (T)empreture.

Yes really, on every jet engine TIT is Total Inlet Temperature.

Yep.

I ask because I came across an interesting paragraph in the T56-A-15
service manual yesterday. Went like this...

"Description and operation of turbine inlet temperature indicating and
control system. [Hmmm, not total, turbine.]

....measures the turbine inlet temperature by means of
thermocouples...Eighteen thermocouple assemblies are mounted in the
turbine inlet casing of each engine...One thermocouple of each assembly
is connected to the turbine inlet temperature indicating system,
and...one...is connected to the electronic datum control system. The 18
indicating system thermocouples are connected in parallel [!!] by the
indicator turbine thermocouple harness assembly, and this signal is
transmitted to a turbine inlet temperature indicator in the engine
instrument panel. The 18 control system thermocouples are connected in
parallel..."

So, let's revise.

From: "Tarver Engineering"

[...]

For Pete's sake! The word is ridiculous.

Phil
--
Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.
Euripides

From: "Tarver Engineering"
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military
Subject: Do Hercules military aircraft use the same fuel as
civilian aircraft?
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 19:19:37 -0800
snip
wrote in message
Not really. On the T56 engine TIT = (T)urbine (I)nlet (T)empreture.

Yes really, on every jet engine TIT is Total Inlet Temperature.

Yep.

Nope.

Bertie

From: "Tarver Engineering"
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military
civilian aircraft?
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 19:19:37 -0800
snip
wrote in message
Not really. On the T56 engine TIT = (T)urbine (I)nlet (T)empreture.

Yes really, on every jet engine TIT is Total Inlet Temperature.

Yep.

Nope.

Once again, Tarver goes TITs up.

Old January 17th 04, 12:33 AM
John R Weiss

"Phil Miller" wrote...

Yes really, on every jet engine TIT is Total Inlet Temperature.

Yep.

I ask because I came across an interesting paragraph in the T56-A-15
service manual yesterday. Went like this...

...measures the turbine inlet temperature by means of
thermocouples...Eighteen thermocouple assemblies are mounted in the
turbine inlet casing of each engine...One thermocouple of each assembly
is connected to the turbine inlet temperature indicating system,
and...one...is connected to the electronic datum control system. The 18
indicating system thermocouples are connected in parallel [!!] by the
indicator turbine thermocouple harness assembly,

I'm surprised you ever doubted the truth on this one!

So, let's revise.

That's going a bit too far... Nobody can revise the Tarver Chronicles! :-)

Old January 17th 04, 12:53 AM
Jim Yanik

"John R Weiss" wrote in

"Phil Miller" wrote...

Yes really, on every jet engine TIT is Total Inlet Temperature.

Yep.

I ask because I came across an interesting paragraph in the T56-A-15
service manual yesterday. Went like this...

...measures the turbine inlet temperature by means of
thermocouples...Eighteen thermocouple assemblies are mounted in the
turbine inlet casing of each engine...One thermocouple of each
assembly is connected to the turbine inlet temperature indicating
system, and...one...is connected to the electronic datum control
system. The 18 indicating system thermocouples are connected in
parallel [!!] by the indicator turbine thermocouple harness assembly,

I'm surprised you ever doubted the truth on this one!

So, let's revise.

That's going a bit too far... Nobody can revise the Tarver
Chronicles! :-)

bimetallic thermocouples generate millivolt signals,and paralleling them
would not work.Standard practice is to series-connect them,and compare to a
reference junction.Do these assemblies include signal processing to convert
the mV signal to a digital form,which could then be sent on a parallel bus?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net

From: "Tarver Engineering"
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military

civilian
aircraft?
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 19:19:37 -0800
snip
wrote in message
Not really. On the T56 engine TIT = (T)urbine (I)nlet (T)empreture.

Yes really, on every jet engine TIT is Total Inlet Temperature.

Yep.

I ask because I came across an interesting paragraph in the T56-A-15
service manual yesterday. Went like this...

Same for any MM, the data does not need to be accurate.

Any engine temperature station using more than one probe is a Total.

That is how it works.

From: "Tarver Engineering"
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military
civilian aircraft?
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 19:19:37 -0800
snip
wrote in message
Not really. On the T56 engine TIT = (T)urbine (I)nlet (T)empreture.

Yes really, on every jet engine TIT is Total Inlet Temperature.

Yep.

Nope.

Yep, the individually wired theromcouples are sent to a Totalizer, when they
are not wired in series. That is why the datum is a total.

One has to wonder if the trolls of ram will ever catch a clue.

The irony of it all.

From: "Tarver Engineering"
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military
civilian aircraft?
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 19:19:37 -0800
snip
wrote in message
Not really. On the T56 engine TIT = (T)urbine (I)nlet (T)empreture.

Yes really, on every jet engine TIT is Total Inlet Temperature.

Yep.

Nope.

Once again, Tarver goes TITs up.

Once again the Bunyip has been mazored.