email attack

Old September 23rd 03, 04:52 AM
Richard Lamb

Default email attack

I am surrounded and they are coming through the wire.
Need immediate tactical air support!

email, that is.

I've been targeted, accurately, and I do believe that
they finally got me.

Something got through my filters a few weeks ago and took
my computer back to the stone age.

Rock = 0, Stick = 1
(Edit that, Bill Gates)

It was indeed a boot sector virus.
That "bnoxious: boot sector warning" saved my butt.
Or YOUR butt, since the thing got caught there before it
could go on an email rampage of it's own.

I got the system back up, clean, but my email address is now known
and the vandals have a real target. Me!

My email inbox on Prodigy is filling up in less than an
hour with Microsoft patch offerings. They all have the boot
sector virus attached.
(Except one message that claims larger penis have more fun)

Prodigy keeps the trash for SEVEN days.

But it's coming in at about 10 meg per hour...
That's the limit of my inbox, anyway.
I suspect any valid email is bouncing back to the senders.
But no way I can really tell.

So.

RIP

Almost - but not quite - ten years old.
February '94 to September 2003.
He was a good man (well, my opinion anyway)

From the ashes will arises...

I hope.
Old September 23rd 03, 05:03 AM
Kyle Boatright

"Richard Lamb" wrote in message

I am surrounded and they are coming through the wire.
Need immediate tactical air support!

email, that is.

I've been targeted, accurately, and I do believe that
they finally got me.

Something got through my filters a few weeks ago and took
my computer back to the stone age.

Rock = 0, Stick = 1
(Edit that, Bill Gates)

It was indeed a boot sector virus.
That "bnoxious: boot sector warning" saved my butt.
Or YOUR butt, since the thing got caught there before it
could go on an email rampage of it's own.

I got the system back up, clean, but my email address is now known
and the vandals have a real target. Me!

My email inbox on Prodigy is filling up in less than an
hour with Microsoft patch offerings. They all have the boot
sector virus attached.

I just solved the same problem. During the last week, I was getting 200-300
virus containing e-mails a day. There seemed to be 15-20 spurious
"sender's" for all of the messages. I used filters to ID and delete any
messages from those senders. The fix is working.

KB

Old September 23rd 03, 05:16 AM
Richard Lamb

Jerry Springer wrote:

That MS patch and the worms and virus that are attached to it have been
going around and hitting a lot of people hard. Last week I was getting
about 300 a day. I thought that it was going to burn up my anti virus
program. I check my system several times a day to make sure none of
them are getting through so far so good.

Jerry

Yeah. That's where I was about 2 months ago!

Best of luck, Jerry.

I think I have to turn off the Prodigy filters and go back to
the netscape filters. At least that way, when the filter deletes
something it doesn't hang around for another week before dying.

What a mess.

Richard (one of them, anyway)...
Old September 23rd 03, 06:33 AM
Richard Lamb

I just received a test message from Jim C. via the Tailwind list
at yahoo groups.

Jim said he hasn't heard a mumblin' word from ANYBODY on the list
in 5 or 6 days.

Richard
Old September 23rd 03, 07:31 AM
Ron Wanttaja

I got hit hard by the same email attack a few days ago. Just got tons and
tons of emails, all containing a 150K attachment that Norton said had a
virus. Was out of town a couple of days, and the mailbox on my ISP filled
up. Agent does a wonderful job of weeding things out, but if I don't
download the emails, they just stay on the server until it's plugged.

Read that the virus was different from the standard variety...it didn't
access the address book of the infected party, it went for some Spammer's
mailing list that was accessible via the net. That's why we got tons of
repeats.

Put in about 20 different filters, and things are a lot calmer now. I'll
probably gradually subtract a filter or two as things go along here, and
see if the flood comes back.

Ron Wanttaja
Old September 23rd 03, 02:54 PM
Dave S

You arent the only one....

I have been recieving over 100/day... since Thursday.. I literally have
to clean my mailbox several times a day (on the "webmail" page that I
have since reconfigured to stop and hold ALL mail... and then I pick the
real ones out and send em to Netscrape)

At first I thought I was infected (undeliverable email stuff bouncing
back that I didnt send), but I have been found to be unadulterated in
the eyes of Symantec Corp, and I have been leaving my machines offline
when I leave..

Oh well... I can only hope all the others out there clean their machines
someday so the incoming barrage will stop..

Dave

Richard Lamb wrote:
[...]

From the ashes will arises...

I hope.

Old September 23rd 03, 04:40 PM
CW9371

Jerry Springer wrote:

That MS patch and the worms and virus that are attached to it have been
going around and hitting a lot of people hard. Last week I was getting
about 300 a day. I thought that it was going to burn up my anti virus
program. I check my system several times a day to make sure none of
them are getting through so far so good.

Why are u downloading the attachments. I havent had a single problem casue i
dont download stuff unless i know who it is from.

CHris
Old September 23rd 03, 04:44 PM
John E. Carty

"CW9371" wrote in message

Jerry Springer wrote:

That MS patch and the worms and virus that are attached to it have been
going around and hitting a lot of people hard. Last week I was getting
about 300 a day. I thought that it was going to burn up my anti virus
program. I check my system several times a day to make sure none of
them are getting through so far so good.

Why are u downloading the attachments. I havent had a single problem

casue i
dont download stuff unless i know who it is from.

CHris

You could still have this problem if someone you know gets infected and your
in their email address book.

Old September 23rd 03, 06:48 PM
Mitch Hines

I understand that folks may have need of sending executable files, but I
can't think of a good reason to send them without zipping or renaming them
so that they can't be executed just by clicking on the attachments. I know
that many corporations are protecting their smtp servers by not passing
executables, they are either compressed or at least have the extentions
renamed. Sure, now you could unzip the file, or rename the extention back
to the original executable extention and still run it, but if someone does
all that to run a file that they received in email that they were not
expecting.....well I am not sure you can really help that person, and they
should be keep away from pointy objects too.

"CW9371" wrote in message
But I run my own mail server
at home with pretty agreesive SPAM filtering and anti-virus protection
scanning all incoming and out going SMTP traffic, and any attachment that
can be executed it stripped.

That wouldnt work for me that any attachment ths is executable is

stripped.
Wont work for a lot of people.

Old September 23rd 03, 11:51 PM
Gerry Caron

"Jerry Springer" wrote in message
t...
That MS patch and the worms and virus that are attached to it have been
going around and hitting a lot of people hard. Last week I was getting
about 300 a day. I thought that it was going to burn up my anti virus
program. I check my system several times a day to make sure none of
them are getting through so far so good.

Jerry

It's hit me, too. It started with about 25 or 30 a day last week and it has
jumped up to the 250-300 a day range since Sunday. Roadrunner's scan
catches most of the viruses, but they deliver the scrubbed copy anyway in
the theory that it might be something you were expecting. That would let
you know to contact the sender. Norton has caught the few that made it past
Roadrunner's scan.

Found a good filter while working thru the Outlook Rules Wizard:
where my name is not in the To box
delete it
except where my name is in the Cc box

Since I set up that rule, 99% are going straight to the wastebasket.

Gerry