Seattle advice

Old May 31st 05, 05:57 PM
Robert Bonomi

In article 4rYme.22925$g66.19673@attbi_s71,
Jay Honeck wrote:
And pity the person who has to deal with both
Des Moines, Iowa and
Des Plaines, Illinois

Let alone "Mar-SAILS" Illinois.

Don't forget Cairo (Kay-row), IL.

Of course, some cities are schizophrenic, even amongst their own townsfolk.

Keokuk, Iowa is pronounced "KE-o-kuk" by half the population, and "Ke-O-kuk"
by the other half. It's interesting to listen to their Unicom, and see how
each pilot pronounces it.

While we're at it, as Osceola, Iowa to the list. Particuarly confusing to
Floridians, and others who are familiar with the Seminole Indian chief by
that name.

Old May 31st 05, 07:41 PM
Peter Duniho

"Robert Bonomi" wrote in message
[...]
And pity the person who has to deal with both
Des Moines, Iowa and
Des Plaines, Illinois

Or Des Moines, Washington for that matter.

Buena Vista, Virginia is another that always bugged me.

My guess is that the "mis-pronounced" and "differently pronounced" place
names in the US number in the thousands, possibly the tens of thousands.

Pete

Old June 1st 05, 06:08 AM
CJ

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message
Or Des Moines, Washington for that matter.

Buena Vista, Virginia is another that always bugged me.

My guess is that the "mis-pronounced" and "differently pronounced" place
names in the US number in the thousands, possibly the tens of thousands.

Pete

Even my "Nevada" comment presumes the way most of us who live here (or know
the Sierra Nevada) pronounce it. The correct Spanish pronunciation is
another thing entirely.

-CJ

Old June 30th 05, 10:03 PM
John Ammeter

On Mon, 30 May 2005 15:51:29 -0500, "plasticguy"
wrote:

OK Boys and girls.... Everybody forgot to tell hin there are
2 museum of flight locations. The museum proper and the
Paine Field Restoration Center. The museum is outstanding
and the restoration facility is a completely different animal.
It is a cross between an aviation junkstore and a workshop.
There are planes everywhere in all states of restoration from
ready to display to complete rustbuckets. WAY COOL. I
used to hang out there a lot, call ahead and see if the guys are
working on stuff and they will let you in to poke around until
your head screams.......

Arlington is a good bet, but going to Chilliwak to the Murphy
factory is better if you better half wants to build one. If you
head North on the 5, there is NO BETTER BURGER JOINT
then THE ALGER BAR AND GRILL. I dare you to order an
Ooie Gooey. Cheeseburger with a sausage patty, bacon, a fried
egg and other stuff guaranteed to peg your cholesterol meter for a week.
Yeah I'm in Texas and I still miss it. If you enter Canada and go
to Vancouver BC on the way to Chilliwack, DO STOP at Granville Island,
Lots of neat stuff to do/see/eat. Glassblowers, wood kayak shop,
jewelry, chlothes, model boats. It is a many hour walk to do it justice.
If you hit the Museum of Flight on thursday evening, I'd go straight up
north
and skip Arlington.

Scott.Correa.

One thing you might want to keep in mind...

If you visit the factory in Canada, you'll need a passport
or birth certificate to re-enter the USA.

John