structural adhesive

Old May 29th 06, 09:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default structural adhesive

Hi everybody!
I am looking for a structural adhesive tape but I prefer a glue
(because I do not want thickness) to bond aluminium (with passivation
or anodization treatment) and steel. The bond have to resist to sea
salt fog, and temperature between -100°C +100°C.

I will appreciate any suggestions!

Thank you

Old May 29th 06, 01:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

good answer!
I will calculate shear force!
my target is like I wrote, I would like to bond alluminium and metal
with high mechanical resistance join; the dimension of pieces a
-aluminium about 15 mm large per 2 mm hickness
-steel or iron 8mm large per 0,5 thickness
glued surface is about 8 mm per 15 mm

Peeling force should be greater than several kilos;
I have no space for mechanical join I would like to avoid rivets or
something similar.

Thank you!

Old May 29th 06, 01:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Years ago, I was involved with an application "glueing" stainless
steel to 6061 and 6063 aluminum for structural applications. We used
a film adhesive, 3M's AF42. After curing, glueline was in the 0.001
to 0.002 inch range. The shear stresses are a problem over that
temperature range, unless you are doing one side of a thin assembly
and it may bend with temperature change (think bimetallic strip).

This stuff is GOOD, but the prep is significant.

On Mon, 29 May 2006 19:43:47 +0800, Stealth Pilot
wrote:

On 29 May 2006 01:27:22 -0700, "circio0" wrote:

Hi everybody!
I am looking for a structural adhesive tape but I prefer a glue
(because I do not want thickness) to bond aluminium (with passivation
or anodization treatment) and steel. The bond have to resist to sea
salt fog, and temperature between -100°C +100°C.

I will appreciate any suggestions!

Thank you

I think you're asking the impossible.

the difference in thermal expansion between aluminium and steel at
those extremes of temperature would put incredible sheer forces across
a glue joint.

what is the actual application envisaged?

Stealth Pilot

Old May 29th 06, 05:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

circio0 wrote:
Hi everybody!
I am looking for a structural adhesive tape but I prefer a glue
(because I do not want thickness) to bond aluminium (with passivation
or anodization treatment) and steel. The bond have to resist to sea
salt fog, and temperature between -100°C +100°C.

I will appreciate any suggestions!

I suggest you change your design.

Unless you are going to attach very small pieces of one to
the other, so that differential thermal expansion is negligible,
no bonding method is going to work.

You could bolt or rivet the parts together and they'd
buckle or break.

--

FF

Old May 30th 06, 03:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On 29 May 2006 05:37:47 -0700, "circio0" wrote:

-aluminium about 15 mm large per 2 mm hickness
-steel or iron 8mm large per 0,5 thickness
glued surface is about 8 mm per 15 mm

Sizes are probably small enough to not see major loads from
differential expansion.

Peeling force should be greater than several kilos;

Our qualification with AF42 was 50 lbs / inch. That will be about 0.8
kilograms / mm, probably enough in the 8mm width, almost surely enough
in the 15mm width.

Old May 30th 06, 09:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

3M's AF42 seems strong bonding but it needs 60 min curing!!!! do you
know a faster method?
we are moving in the right way!

Thank you in advance