Seattle advice

Old May 30th 05, 10:13 PM
Peter Duniho

"Milen Lazarov" wrote in message
ink.net...
Pike street, most likely. Camlin is a block or two away from it.

Pike Street runs east/west. It doesn't make sense to say you are any
distance east of it. There is also only one Pike Street. "Pikes" doesn't
make sense when referring to that street.

Pete

Old May 30th 05, 10:33 PM
Bob Gardner

http://transit.metrokc.gov/tops/bus/...attle_cbd.html

Forget what I said about walking west. The Camlin is within the ride-free
area of Metro Transit. Just catch a bus or trolley (whichever runs on Pine
Street) down to the waterfront and back.

The Camlin used to have a roof garden, and had the Cloud Room on the 11th
floor. The Cloud Room shut down...don't know about the roof garden. Google
doesn't help.

Bob Gardner

"CJ" wrote in message ...
Hello,

My wife and I are spending five nights in Seattle between July 4th and
July 8th (leaving Saturday, July 9th). Since we're driving in on the
fourth, we basically have the 5th through the 8th as full days to explore.
We have to spend one day on the Olympic Penninsula (fond memories for my
wife) and one day at Orcas Island (long time friend for me). We'll do one
day non-aviation or maybe even cultural. That leaves us one day to do
either Museum of Flight or Arlington.

Questions.

1. Arlington or Museum of Flight? My wife REALLY wants us to build a
Murphy, but she loves seeing rag and tube aircraft, as well as aircraft
with history. We've been to the (incredibly inconsistent) Golden West
show a few times, and other than the opportunity to see Jim Wright's HB-1,
have been pretty disappointed. Is Arlington that many levels above Golden
West for homebuilders or non-military plane nuts?

2. (Off topic - Larry, start bitching) - Fourth of July. What and where
are the fireworks opportunities for us (we're styaing at the Camlin, a few
blocks east of Pikes)?

Thanks for any hints.

-cj

Old May 31st 05, 02:03 AM
CJ

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message
"CJ" wrote in message ...
2. (Off topic - Larry, start bitching) - Fourth of July. What and where
are the fireworks opportunities for us (we're styaing at the Camlin, a
few blocks east of Pikes)?

"Pikes"? Perhaps you mean "Pike Place Market"? Not sure, since the
Camlin is actually about nine blocks east of the Market, but I don't know
what other "Pikes" you might be talking about. Pete

Yes, Pike Place Market. Only been there once over 20 years ago and
mis-remembered "Pike" as being plural or possessive. I guess for someone
familiar with Seattle it is a faux pas comparable to when I hear people
mispronounce "Nevada".

-CJ

Old May 31st 05, 03:17 AM
CJ

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

I think we'll take advantage of the Museum of Flight being open late on
Thursday, and either follow the repeated advice to go to Arlington on Friday
or perhaps do an all aircraft day on Thursday - weather may influence as
well as logistics.

Chilliwack will have to wait for another trip. We're slowly wrapping up a
one weekend at a time remodel and a new project is a ways away, so going to
the factory may be too much of a tease. And, with one day to the Olympic
Penninsula and another to the San Juan Islands - Colin's advice to get new
friends noted - I am looking forward to leaving the car in the garage one
day and taking advantage of public transportation.

Bob, thanks for the fireworks info. I think we'll take advantage of the
free transit and head west. FYI, the Cloud Room is available for use by
guests as a recreation / sitting room - the piano is now in the lobby.

-CJ

Old May 31st 05, 03:21 AM
StellaStarr

"CJ" wrote in message ...

I guess for someone
familiar with Seattle it is a faux pas comparable to when I hear people
mispronounce "Nevada".

In Iowa, that'd be ne-VAY'-duh.
About 30 miles northeast of Madrid (MADD'-ridd)

The other day I heard someone on a radio game show mention the character
of YOE'-se-myte Sam. How I thought yosemite was pronounced when I read
it in comics...
Old May 31st 05, 05:09 AM
dancingstarcreations

CJ wrote:
Thanks for all the helpful replies.

I think we'll....

Make sure we get "Trip Following" with your impressions of the city that
many here are quite proud of. Have a wonderful time!

Antonio
Old May 31st 05, 06:23 AM
CJ

"CJ" wrote in message

I guess for someone
familiar with Seattle it is a faux pas comparable to when I hear people
mispronounce "Nevada".

In Iowa, that'd be ne-VAY'-duh.
About 30 miles northeast of Madrid (MADD'-ridd)

The other day I heard someone on a radio game show mention the character
of YOE'-se-myte Sam. How I thought yosemite was pronounced when I read it
in comics...

My mother was born in the German part of Switzerland and a young adult in
the French part. Teaching her how to pronounce Tuolumne (a part of Yosemite
and a California county) was a chore. I finally told her to say "to all of
me" and leave off the "f".

-CJ

Old May 31st 05, 11:46 AM
Robert Bonomi

"CJ" wrote in message ...

I guess for someone
familiar with Seattle it is a faux pas comparable to when I hear people
mispronounce "Nevada".

In Iowa, that'd be ne-VAY'-duh.
About 30 miles northeast of Madrid (MADD'-ridd)

Even more fun, there is the Arkansas River. Which is *NOT* pronounced like
the similarly-named State.

And pity the person who has to deal with both
Des Moines, Iowa and
Des Plaines, Illinois

Let alone "Mar-SAILS" Illinois.
Old May 31st 05, 01:06 PM
Jay Honeck

And pity the person who has to deal with both
Des Moines, Iowa and
Des Plaines, Illinois

Let alone "Mar-SAILS" Illinois.

Don't forget Cairo (Kay-row), IL.

Of course, some cities are schizophrenic, even amongst their own townsfolk.

Keokuk, Iowa is pronounced "KE-o-kuk" by half the population, and "Ke-O-kuk"
by the other half. It's interesting to listen to their Unicom, and see how
each pilot pronounces it.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA