First impressions of flight

Old March 28th 07, 11:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Darkwing

Default First impressions of flight

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
What did you notice most during your very first experience travelling in
any
type of airplane, as passenger or pilot? And if you are a pilot, what did
you
notice most during your very first experience actually flying an airplane
(if
it was not also your very first experience with flight)?

This is such a moronic question. Tell me how you fell Rex Grossman losing
the Super Bowl? Who do you think you are MX, Barbara Walters??

Complete ass.

--------------------------------------
DW

Old March 29th 07, 12:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

"Darkwing" theducksmail"AT"yahoo.com writes:

This is such a moronic question.

I consider it an intelligent question and relevant to the group, and I've seen
one or two intelligent replies. Unfortunately, I cannot say the same about
your reply.

Tell me how you fell Rex Grossman losing the Super Bowl?

I don't know who Rex Grossman is, or what the Super Bowl is.

Who do you think you are MX, Barbara Walters??

I don't know anything about Barbara Walters, either.

I suppose I can answer my own question, though, just to encourage the
intelligent people to reply:

My very first experience was as a passenger on a Southwest Airlines 737-200. I
was most surprised by the apparent flimsiness of the aircraft. I had
previously been in non-moving aircraft on the ground many years earlier, but
this flimsiness was much more obvious in a moving aircraft. Of course, I
realized that the aircraft was not actually flimsy and that it was strong for
its weight, but it was still subjectively surprising. The efforts to keep
things lightweight inside the cabin (seats, inner window panels, etc.) were
obvious (and understandable).

I was surprised by how rough the roll down the runway was; I had assumed that
runways were very smooth. I was surprised by how much the aircraft moved in
the air (I had imagined a glassy-smooth ride, like a slow-moving train), and
by the magnitude of the movements at times. I was also amazed by the extreme
noisiness of the aircraft. I was surprised by how easily I could hear things
like gear retraction and extension, and movement of flaps, and so on.

I had steeled myself for a potentially unpleasant experience, as I knew that
many people are afraid of flying and I thought perhaps there were good reasons
for that. However, I thought it was all great fun. Take-off was the best
part, followed by landing. I experienced no motion sickness, and the view out
the window was fine, not bothering me in the least even in turns and when
slicing through cloudtops. I take this as a reliable sign that I have a
strong fundamental interest in aviation.

I have never flown an aircraft in real life, so I can't comment on that,
although I've sat in various cockpits from time to time (including 747
cockpits).

Old March 29th 07, 12:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

[...]

Good god. You need to adjust your dosage.

bertie
Old March 29th 07, 12:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,alt.disasters.aviation,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.religion.asatru,rec.aviation.piloting
ManhattanMan

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Good god. You need to adjust your dosage.

Up to OD 2X................ Or higher, just to be on the safe side (for
us).......

MnM (used to be CRaSH

Old March 29th 07, 12:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

"ManhattanMan" wrote in news:_hDOh.17321$nh4.13758
@newsfe20.lga:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Good god. You need to adjust your dosage.

Up to OD 2X................ Or higher, just to be on the safe side

(for
us).......

Sounds like a big waste of drugs. Surely there's a bus passing nearby he
can throw himself under if it comes to that. He can practice using his
"Midtown Madness" game first.

bertie
Old March 29th 07, 02:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger[_4_]

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 22:06:49 GMT, (DaveB) wrote:

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 22:16:05 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

What did you notice most during your very first experience travelling in any
type of airplane, as passenger or pilot? And if you are a pilot, what did you
notice most during your very first experience actually flying an airplane (if
it was not also your very first experience with flight)?

I was shocked I didn't smoke during my first solo.

For me it was the ground ahead in the windshield going round, and
round, and round, and finally the instructor asked what I was going to
do. Me? Do? Yah. Haven't the foggiest idea, this is the first time
I've ever been in a plane. He got busy right away as the rows of corn
stalks were getting big enough to see the individual stalks. Guess he
though I'd flown before. (That was a very long time ago)

But after was another story
Daveb

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old March 29th 07, 02:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger[_4_]

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 20:06:30 -0700, TheSmokingGnu
wrote:

Nomen Nescio wrote:
I couldn't find the "pause" button.

The frame rate was really good, and all the autogen was turned on.

coughchoke Where do I send the bill for the new keyboard? Man that
stuffs sticky.

At least I know you weren't running FSX. :-))

:P

TheSmokingGnu

Old March 29th 07, 04:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Peter Dohm

I couldn't find the "pause" button.

The frame rate was really good, and all the autogen was turned on.

I also liked the multi-screen 3-d effect, and the true-motion... :-)

Old March 29th 07, 04:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
TheSmokingGnu

Peter Dohm wrote:
I couldn't find the "pause" button.

The frame rate was really good, and all the autogen was turned on.

I also liked the multi-screen 3-d effect, and the true-motion... :-)

Had to admire the cloud draw distance, too.

TheSmokingGnu
Old March 29th 07, 08:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Ir. Hj. Othman bin Hj. Ahmad

On Mar 29, 11:16 am, "Peter Dohm" wrote:
I couldn't find the "pause" button.

The frame rate was really good, and all the autogen was turned on.

I also liked the multi-screen 3-d effect, and the true-motion... :-)

I heard from a PC salesman that a pilot spent more than RM18,000 for
PC and peripherals,
just to be able to play MSFS. This price is more than of the RM30,000
required to get PPL
on a cesna 172P at our local flying club.

Perhaps he is so addicted to the multi-scren 3-d effect and true
motion that he had to get similar effects all the time.

I also heard from him that these people who play MSFS are also Boeing
737 commercial pilots. The salesman guessed that probably the pilots
would like to experience aerobatic flights, such as flying inverted
which will not be allowed on real commercial planes.