BFR'd yet again...

Old May 3rd 04, 05:05 PM
Jay Honeck

Default BFR'd yet again...

Well, I lived through my biennial torture session yet again. One hour of
ground-grilling on Friday, followed by 1.2 hours of flight testing
yesterday.

We had a great time (my CFI on this flight was a good friend, which always
makes things easier) and I think I'm about as proficient as I've ever
been -- but I was impressed at how rusty I had become with hood work. Since
postponing my pursuit of the instrument rating I've fallen out of the habit
of practicing while under the hood, and it felt like it. Although my
instructor said I did fine, I've made a mental note to fly more often with
the foggles on...

The only unusual (for me, anyway) thing we did was 60-degree banked turns
while under the hood. I managed to hold altitude on a 360 degree turn, but
the relatively high Gs combined with the turbulent air made for a fairly
uncomfortable experience.

Still, it's always good to be stretched a bit -- it's easy to get complacent
droning along on cross-country flights all the time.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 3rd 04, 05:11 PM
Michelle P

BFR? what is that?
Get a new rating every two years and you never have to have a BFR again! ;-)

Michelle

Jay Honeck wrote:

[...]

Michelle P ATP-ASEL, CP-AMEL, and AMT-A&P

"Elisabeth" a Maule M-7-235B (no two are alike)

Volunteer Pilot, Angel Flight Mid-Atlantic

Volunteer Builder, Habitat for Humanity

Old May 3rd 04, 05:28 PM
Teacherjh

Well, I lived through my biennial torture session yet again.

You don't do the Wings program?

Jose

Old May 3rd 04, 05:40 PM
Jay Honeck

You don't do the Wings program?

I did for several years when it first started. I think that got me out of
my first required BFR back in '96.

Haven't heard much about the program lately, to be honest. We still go to
every possible FAA seminar in the area, and I occasionally see the green
cards out on the tables -- but they don't seem to be pushing it much.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 3rd 04, 07:07 PM
C J Campbell

"Teacherjh" wrote in message
Well, I lived through my biennial torture session yet again.

You don't do the Wings program?

The Wings program is hardly worth the trouble.

People who fly regularly should only need the hour of flight time with an
instructor. Those who need more work than that are unlikely to get what they
need from the Wings program.

Old May 4th 04, 12:08 AM
Journeyman

In article S4ulc.22738$I%1.1633543@attbi_s51, Jay Honeck wrote:

Still, it's always good to be stretched a bit -- it's easy to get complacent
droning along on cross-country flights all the time.

For sure. I'm planning to get up early tomorrow and go sit in the
cockpit of the new plane just to practice dry runs of the emergency
procedures for my new plane (still bouncing between "this is sooo
kewl" and "omigodwhathaveidone").

I've never done a BFR, but I have a cool AOPA hat with a bunch of
nifty-looking pins in it. :-)

Morris
Old May 4th 04, 12:15 AM
Journeyman

In article , C J Campbell wrote:

You don't do the Wings program?

The Wings program is hardly worth the trouble.

Statistically, Wings program participants are safer. I'm convinced
the Wings program has nothing to do with it, it's a self-selecting
sample of people who particlurly care about safety and are willing
to actively attend seminars & stuff.

I decided to do the Wings program just to collect all the pins. I
figured I'd be attending the seminars anyway, and I'd certainly have
more than 3 hours of dual with an instructor.

This year, I'm planing to get serious about the commercial, now that I
have reliable access to a complex airplane. I'll definitely do the
wings stuff in the course of the training I'd do anyway.

Morris (just because you don't do Wings doesn't mean you're unsafe)
Old May 4th 04, 08:41 PM
Jay Honeck

Statistically, Wings program participants are safer. I'm convinced
the Wings program has nothing to do with it, it's a self-selecting
sample of people who particlurly care about safety and are willing
to actively attend seminars & stuff.

Mary and I attend all the Wings seminars that come to our area -- usually at
least two per year. (In fact, a night in our "Pan Am Clipper Suite" is the
grand prize, given away at all the Iowa FAA seminars to help encourage
attendance...)

We also do BFRs.

I guess that makes us "belt & suspenders" kind of folks...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 4th 04, 09:48 PM
Richard Russell

On Tue, 04 May 2004 19:41:34 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

Statistically, Wings program participants are safer. I'm convinced
the Wings program has nothing to do with it, it's a self-selecting
sample of people who particlurly care about safety and are willing
to actively attend seminars & stuff.

Mary and I attend all the Wings seminars that come to our area -- usually at
least two per year. (In fact, a night in our "Pan Am Clipper Suite" is the
grand prize, given away at all the Iowa FAA seminars to help encourage
attendance...)

We also do BFRs.

I guess that makes us "belt & suspenders" kind of folks...

;-)

Kudos to you for offering the prize. I've been to many of the
seminars in my area and there is never a prize of any kind.

I don't think, however, that you're a belt and suspenders canditate.
Probably more like belt and elastic waistband because you're
definitely doing more than either one is worth by itself but you're
not getting the three hours of flying associated with the Wings
program. Then again, you're lucky to get enough time in the air that
the BFR is probably more than adequate. In your case, you probably
benefit more from the extra ground work that you get from Wings.
Yeah, I'm jealous.

Rich Russell
Old May 4th 04, 11:51 PM
Roger Halstead

On Mon, 3 May 2004 18:15:27 -0500, Journeyman
wrote:

In article , C J Campbell wrote:

You don't do the Wings program?

The Wings program is hardly worth the trouble.

I do the Wings programs regularly, but I don't recall ever sending in
for any stage. When I took the AirSafety Foundation/ABS proficency
training I did qualify for one phase of the wings program.

I've been attending since they started and don't think I have a
certicicate for even phase one.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com