BFR'd yet again...

Old May 5th 04, 01:37 AM
David Brooks

I've been to a few, and collected one certificate, but I have this basic
question.

Why is Wings promoted as though it were an "easier" way of getting a BFR?
Flight review is 2 hours minimum, Wings is the program plus 3 hours minimum.
If you're appealing to someone who wants the BFR made easier, that's
backwards. If you're appealing to people who would attend the seminar
anyway, the BFR thing is unimportant.

Perhaps I'm missing this: you can have an instructor say "yeah, we've done
the 3 hours dual in the same time frame" if you're currently working on a
certificate - it doesn't have to be a separate ride. Yes?

-- David Brooks

"Roger Halstead" wrote in message
On Mon, 3 May 2004 18:15:27 -0500, Journeyman
wrote:

In article , C J Campbell wrote:

You don't do the Wings program?

The Wings program is hardly worth the trouble.

I do the Wings programs regularly, but I don't recall ever sending in
for any stage. When I took the AirSafety Foundation/ABS proficency
training I did qualify for one phase of the wings program.

I've been attending since they started and don't think I have a
certicicate for even phase one.

Old May 5th 04, 03:14 AM
Teacherjh

Mary and I attend all the Wings seminars that come to our area...

We also do BFRs.

I guess that makes us "belt & suspenders" kind of folks...

Not quite. If you also did the three hours of Wings training every year, you'd
be belt and suspenders. As it is, you are belt and suspender clips.

Jose

Old May 6th 04, 01:29 PM
Teacherjh

it doesn't have to be a separate ride. Yes?

Wings rides do not have to be separate. However, they must cover the wings
material.

Jose

Old May 6th 04, 04:32 PM
Journeyman

In article , David Brooks wrote:
I've been to a few, and collected one certificate, but I have this basic
question.

It's promoted for safety. People who participate in the wings program
are (on average) safer. IMHO, it's an inversion of cause and effect.
There are people who have a higher-than-average interest in safety.
People who participate in the wings program are selected from that
pool. IMHO, most r.a.* participants/lurkers are probably in the pool
too, whether they participate in Wings or not.

If you're appealing to someone who wants the BFR made easier, that's
backwards. If you're appealing to people who would attend the seminar
anyway, the BFR thing is unimportant.

Maybe it's the assumption you don't need one.

Perhaps I'm missing this: you can have an instructor say "yeah, we've done
the 3 hours dual in the same time frame" if you're currently working on a
certificate - it doesn't have to be a separate ride. Yes?

Correct. And I've done that. It also falls out of a random rental
checkout and some instrument currency you're going to do anyay.

Morris (btw, anyone have any comments on the "new" wings program?)
Old May 6th 04, 09:45 PM
Teacherjh

btw, anyone have any comments on the "new" wings program?

"new"?? What changed?

Jose

Old May 7th 04, 12:20 AM
zatatime

On Tue, 4 May 2004 17:37:02 -0700, "David Brooks"
wrote:

I've been to a few, and collected one certificate, but I have this basic
question.

Why is Wings promoted as though it were an "easier" way of getting a BFR?

BFRs require your skills to meet the minimum standards of the
Certificate you hold (PVT/COMM/ATP). WINGS programs only require
logged dual instruction. You can almost kill yourself and the
instructor on every flight, but as long as dual is logged in
accordance with the WINGS phase you are completing you meet the
requirements.

....so, the rationale for the WINGS program being easier is just that
no minimum proficiency needs to be demonstrated.

HTH.

Flight review is 2 hours minimum, Wings is the program plus 3 hours minimum.
If you're appealing to someone who wants the BFR made easier, that's
backwards. If you're appealing to people who would attend the seminar
anyway, the BFR thing is unimportant.

Perhaps I'm missing this: you can have an instructor say "yeah, we've done
the 3 hours dual in the same time frame" if you're currently working on a
certificate - it doesn't have to be a separate ride. Yes?

-- David Brooks

.. .

Old May 7th 04, 04:13 PM
Journeyman

btw, anyone have any comments on the "new" wings program?

"new"?? What changed?

I got something in the mail a little while back about an alternate
program for more active pilots. I didn't look too closely at the
time. The original program is still in place.

Morris