Pix of two midair F-18s

Old January 5th 04, 03:42 PM
Pechs1

Default Pix of two midair F-18s

Just received from another guy. Not sure of whenor where it happened.
Reserve(AF) F-18 and a Top Putz F-18...hit each other on a head on 1v1 pass and
brought 'em back..I have the pix if anybody would like them.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old January 5th 04, 08:19 PM
Krztalizer

yes please. does that count as a close pass???
Old January 5th 04, 08:54 PM
gizmo-goddard

"Pechs1" wrote in message
Just received from another guy. Not sure of whenor where it happened.
Reserve(AF) F-18 and a Top Putz F-18...hit each other on a head on 1v1

pass and
brought 'em back..I have the pix if anybody would like them.

Yes, please I'd appreciate a copy. Top Putz, that's good :-) We used to call
them Top Goon, after they managed to down both of their newly acquired
Tomcats by taxiing one into the other on their own ramp. Something about
forgetting to turn on the bi-di pump before shutting down the left engine.
OOPS!

__!_!__
Gizmo

Old January 6th 04, 06:18 AM
Krztalizer

sheer freakin luck! =:x
Old January 6th 04, 03:43 PM
Pechs1

We used to call
them Top Goon, after they managed to down both of their newly acquired
Tomcats by taxiing one into the other on their own ramp. Something about
forgetting to turn on the bi-di pump before shutting down the left engine.
OOPS! BRBR

Yes, I was in VF-126 when they did that. They also scrapped all the speedbrakes
of all their F-16s when they held them open when aerobraking, overstressed them
in the break, etc. Bunch of jackasses...
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old January 6th 04, 03:45 PM
Pechs1

Probably the same one you are talking about. Both aircraft were
reserve VC-12 aircraft. BRBR

Those are the ones-didn't know they had 'AF' on their tail tho. Thought as a
VFC-13 bird, they had 'NF', like we did in VF-126, for a west coast bird.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old January 7th 04, 03:13 PM
Pechs1

NJ on VF-126 tails, looked at my goin' away pic...
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old January 7th 04, 09:39 PM
Mike Kanze

"NJ" has been the tailcode for all PACFLT Replacement Crew Training
squadrons since at least the late 1960s.

Below is from memory and subject to error. Others with better info please
jump in:

*VF-121 - Fighter Replacement Crew Training (F-3H, F-4, F-14) - NAS Miramar.
VA-122 - Light Attack Replacement Crew Training (A-1, A-7) - NAS Moffett
Field, NAS Lemoore.
VAH-123 - Heavy Attack Replacement Crew Training (A-3) - NAS Whidbey
Island.
VF-124 - Fighter Replacement Crew Training (F-8, F-14) - NAS Moffett Field,
NAS Miramar.
VA-125 / VFA-125 - Light Attack Replacement Crew Training (A-4, A-7,
F/A-18) - NAS Lemoore.
VF-126 - Instrument Training & Jet Transition (TA-4) - NAS Miramar.
VA-127 / VFA-127 - Instrument Training & Jet Transition, **Light Attack
Replacement Crew Training , DACM (F-9, TA-4, A-4, F-5, F/A-18 & T-38(!!)) -
NAS Lemoore, NAS Fallon.
VA-128 - Medium Attack Replacement Crew Training (A-6) - NAS Whidbey.
VAQ-129 - Tactical Electronic Warfare Replacement Crew Training (EA-6B) -
NAS Whidbey.

*Later merged with VF-124.
**Assumed A-4 Replacement Crew Training responsibility when VA-125 assumed
A-7 Replacement Crew Training.

Owl sends.
--
Mike Kanze

"Sit by the homely girl, you'll look better by comparison."

- Debra Maffett, Miss America 1983

"Pechs1" wrote in message
NJ on VF-126 tails, looked at my goin' away pic...
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old Phart Phormer Phantom, Turkey, Viper, Scooter and Combat Buckeye

Phlyer

Old January 8th 04, 03:40 PM
Pechs1

Mike- "NJ" has been the tailcode for all PACFLT Replacement Crew Training
squadrons since at least the late 1960s. BRBR

Also squadrons that belonged to COMFITAEWINGPAC, like VF-126, but wasn't the
'instrument RAG' for a lot of years.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)