More Glide Nav 2 questions - Need technical advice

Old March 8th 10, 07:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Alexander[_2_]

Default More Glide Nav 2 questions - Need technical advice

I have a cambridge 302 with Glide Navigator 2. I am downloading my
turnpoints from the worldwide turnpoint exchange using these steps 1.
files formatted for downloading and importing --- 2. Soaring
Innovations Glide Navigator 2

Question 1:
Is there a way to make the turnpoints in alphabetical order as this
would be more user friendly for normal flying?

Question 2:
When I use the GPS it just shows the number next to the green airport
icon, but does not show the name on the moving map.

Question 3:
How do I enter a specific landout spot, for instance a big open field,
that is not listed as a turnpoint or control point? It would be nice
to use the gps to navigate to these type of spots.

Any advice is always greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Scott
Old March 8th 10, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Scott,

Please see my notes below.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

"Scott Alexander" wrote in message
I have a cambridge 302 with Glide Navigator 2. I am downloading my
turnpoints from the worldwide turnpoint exchange using these steps 1.
files formatted for downloading and importing --- 2. Soaring
Innovations Glide Navigator 2

Question 1:
Is there a way to make the turnpoints in alphabetical order as this
would be more user friendly for normal flying?

*** I'm surprised the files from the soaring turnpoint exchange aren't
already in alphabetical order. There are several ways to fix that. It
would be possible to re-sort using Excel, but that is for slightly advanced
Excel users only. The other option is to open the file in SeeYou or
StrePla, re-sort the file and re-export the file. I can walk you through
that over the phone. It is also documented in one of my SeeYou training
videos (video #29) he
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/train...raining-SeeYou

Question 2:
When I use the GPS it just shows the number next to the green airport
icon, but does not show the name on the moving map.

*** In GN II, go to Menu / Menu 3 (or 4) Display Options and select how you
want the waypoint names to display. I usually select "first 5 characters"
for waypoints and "first 5 characters and numbers" for contest turnpoints.

Question 3:
How do I enter a specific landout spot, for instance a big open field,
that is not listed as a turnpoint or control point? It would be nice
to use the gps to navigate to these type of spots.

*** You would need to edit the waypoint file on your PC using Notepad.
It's a simple text file.

Old March 8th 10, 10:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Mar 8, 11:01*am, Scott Alexander
wrote:

Scott,

There are 3 file formats available from TP exchange for use with Glide
Nav, the difference is in the TP name format.

1. name only
2. name includes number in front
3. Name includes number at end

Take a look at each file and pick the format you like. Then select
the appropriate display option in GNII. You can chose number only,
name only, number and name (check both), or first 5 characters of
name. It's a trade off between information and clutter

My preference is to use the file with name only (no appended number)
and Show first 5. This identifies map objects with the first 5
characters of the name but uses number and name in the task and active
waypoint windows and also in the turnpoint list and task edit
windows. Also touching any map point gives name and number as well as
supporting info.

As Paul pointed out it's just a text file so you can sort the points
in another order and number them anyway you like. However for contest
use the number is usually primary so it woud be best to keep the
number sequence defined by the organizers. (unless you want to be
really, really, confused)

Not sure what you want to do in Q3 but you can use the MARK POINT
feature to designate any overflown point for future reference. I use
it for temporary marking of thermals and landing sites.

Andy
Old March 8th 10, 11:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Alexander[_2_]

Paul & Andy - that answers alot....thank you very much!

Andy, regarding Q3:

At the R4S contest, there were some people who drove in and gave the
GPS coordinates for a nice big open field to land it. I would have
loved to entered this into my GPS so I could see it on the moving
map. But, I had no idea who to do that, so throughout that primarly
unlandable area....I just flew as high as I could without taking
chances. I could have pushed the limit a little harder with that
specific knowledge of where the field was. The GPS could have pointed
me to an exact heading, and an exact distance.

Maybe there's a way to enter this into Glide Nav 2 easily?
Old March 8th 10, 11:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Mar 8, 3:17*pm, Scott Alexander
wrote:
Maybe there's a way to enter this into Glide Nav 2 easily?

The only way I know is to append it to a turnpoint file. GNII will
allow multiple TP files to be used at the same time. Rather than edit
the official contest file which could be subsequently updated by the
organizers, I'd suggest creating your own file in the same format and
adding your own landables to that file. Suggest you start with a
known good file.dat, add the new data in the same format, then delete
the original data. You can use the PDA editor to do this but I find it
easier to transfer the CF (or SD) card to a PC and do the edits
there.

Be sure to use the correct designation and altitude for the landable
points if you want to get valid glide data.

Andy

Old March 9th 10, 01:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

wrote:

Maybe there's a way to enter this into Glide Nav 2 easily?

The only way I know is to append it to a turnpoint file. *GNII will
allow multiple TP files to be used at the same time. Rather than edit
the official contest file which could be subsequently updated by the
organizers, I'd suggest creating your own file in the same format and
adding your own landables to that file. *Suggest you start with a
known good file.dat, add the new data in the same format, then delete
the original data. You can use the PDA editor to do this but I find it
easier to transfer the CF *(or SD) card to *a PC and do the edits
there.

Be sure to use the correct designation and altitude for the landable
points if you want to get valid glide data.

Andy

best practice: add new waypoints in SeeYou on a laptop, then d/l new
file to your Nav devices. there are certainly other ways to
accomplish the same task, but this is the one that catches and
corrects most potential problems. Obviously, this is something you
practice in the off season ;-).

-Evan Ludeman / T8
Old March 9th 10, 02:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rlovinggood

Scott, I hope you won't mind much if I also ask a Glide Navigator II
question:

How do you set it up to glide around two points?

Thanks,
Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA
Old March 9th 10, 03:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rlovinggood

On Mar 8, 8:49*pm, rlovinggood wrote:
Scott, I hope you won't mind much if I also ask a Glide Navigator II
question:

How do you set it up to glide around two points?

Thanks,
Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA

Uh, let me correct that: Glide around ONE point.

Thanks,
Ray
(Don't think the LS1 has quite enough L/D to make a glide around TWO
points in the area where I fly...)
Old March 9th 10, 03:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Ray,

Enter a task into GN II. Start flying the task. While navigating to a any
turnpoint in the task - touch the name of the active waypoint to pop-up the
list of turnpoints in the task. When the list is visible you will also see
a button on the right side of the screen labeled "To Finish". Most people
don't notice that button is there. It is only visible when the task list is
"popped-up". If you press the "To Finish" button the active waypoint window
will then show "Glide To Finish". GN II will still be navigating to the
turnpoint you were previously navigating to (a line is drawn from your
current location to the turnpoint - not to the finish), but the final glide
number will be from your current location, around all the remaining
turnpoints to the finish. If you find that you still need a lot of altitude
and want to again see the final glide to the turnpoint you are navigating
to, then touch the active waypoint button to pop up the turnpoint list and
select the turnpoint you are navigating to. It really is very intuitive -
once you notice the "To Finish" button and know what it does.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old March 9th 10, 01:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rlovinggood

Thanks Paul,

I thought "To Finish" in that application meant to head for Finish at
that time, thus bypassing any remaining turnpoints. That would be as
in a MAT when you have decided you've flown all the turn points you
can, and you're not going to attempt others, and you want to head
home.

I hope I can try this out soon!

Ray