What is the best point to jack up a Cobra Trailer ?

Old November 9th 18, 09:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

Default What is the best point to jack up a Cobra Trailer ?

Good one there Chip
Should make sure the jack is going to fit under there with a flat/ no tire left
One of my friends was killed on the interstate changing a flat back in the early 80's
Dangerous place to be.
Old November 11th 18, 04:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Friday, November 9, 2018 at 12:51:57 PM UTC-8, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Good one there Chip
Should make sure the jack is going to fit under there with a flat/ no tire left
One of my friends was killed on the interstate changing a flat back in the early 80's
Dangerous place to be.

Was he killed by another car or truck, or was he pinned under the vehicle?

Changing driver's side flats is very risky business - been there, done that.. Pull over as much as you can off the road, or consider driving to a safe spot with the flat. If not possible, unhitch and position the tow vehicle into a position behind the trailer to protect you, like what police do when they stop a car (they are wider than the glider trailer). Obviously, turn emergency flashers on.

Tom
Old November 11th 18, 04:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

On Friday, November 9, 2018 at 12:51:57 PM UTC-8, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Good one there Chip
Should make sure the jack is going to fit under there with a flat/ no tire left
One of my friends was killed on the interstate changing a flat back in the early 80's
Dangerous place to be.

I had a close call. The story goes like this;

On the way to a safari I spotted some fellow glider pilots on the side of the highway. They had a flat trailer tire on the right hand side, and were pulled off to the shoulder. I helped position the jack under the axle while another guy jacked it up to make contact. As this was my first time changing a trailer tire, I didn't think to check the hitch situation. They had already taken the trailer off the hitch and it was sitting on the front caster wheel.

I was on my back, just in front of the right trailer wheel, and as the jack started to take the weight of the trailer, the slope of the shoulder and the CG of the trailer started to rotate the trailer clockwise about 20 degrees as the trailer fell off the now tilted jack. The back end of the trailer rotated into the freeway...

Thankfully there were no cars in that lane at that moment. You can imagine what might have happened if there were. Next time the hitch stays on the ball.
Old November 11th 18, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Always look for 3 points of contact, lessens issues.
Granted, I have been bit by that, currently working on a trailer that is iffy since one contact is a swiveling tongue wheel.

When in doubt, find SOMETHING to spread the load.
Be really careful on many newer Corvettes. Get it wrong, big bucks to fix correctly.
No, I didn't get hit, but I knew going in.
Old November 12th 18, 05:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

2G
That friend that was killed was hit by a car driven by 3 teenage girls. He had a left side flat and was working on it when they hit him about 6 feet to the right of the white line.
Old November 12th 18, 06:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

They had already taken the trailer off the hitch and it was sitting on the front caster wheel.

NEVER jack up a trailer if the front dolly wheel can roll/caster. If you're going to jack up the trailer while it's off the vehicle's tow hitch, at least straighten the dolly wheel (parallel with the main tires) and then lower it all the way until it locks out the castering feature (most Al-Ko gear I've seen allows this). Then chock/block the main wheel that will remain on the ground. If you plan to jack up both wheels at the same time, however, put the trailer on the vehicle's tow hitch first.

Chip Bearden
Old November 14th 18, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
danlj

On Sunday, November 11, 2018 at 10:03:10 PM UTC-6, Nick Kennedy wrote:
2G
That friend that was killed was hit by a car driven by 3 teenage girls. He had a left side flat and was working on it when they hit him about 6 feet to the right of the white line.

Whilst traveling last spring to the Region 7 contest, I had a flat. A highway patrol soon parked on the shoulder behind me. She said nothing, did nothing -- but her flashing lights inspired drivers to use the left lane. Best. Thing.
DJ
Old November 14th 18, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

There is a bracket for AL-KO trailers that Cobra uses. This is for a caravan. Should work.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bux1kg7wxCg
Old November 15th 18, 03:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Wednesday, November 14, 2018 at 2:13:07 PM UTC-5, wrote:
There is a bracket for AL-KO trailers that Cobra uses. This is for a caravan. Should work.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bux1kg7wxCg

Interesting! Looks sturdy but I guess one would need a special jack which 'slots' into the bottom of that bracket. I wonder if a standard jack could be used on the upper horizontal part of the bracket.
I will check the frame on my Cobra trailer this weekend.
Uli
'AS'
Old November 15th 18, 08:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Sunday, November 11, 2018 at 8:03:10 PM UTC-8, Nick Kennedy wrote:
2G
That friend that was killed was hit by a car driven by 3 teenage girls. He had a left side flat and was working on it when they hit him about 6 feet to the right of the white line.

A sobering exercise is to google "man killed changing tire" - it happens all too often.

Tom

Cobra Trailer Screw Jack [email protected] Soaring 0 November 20th 12 05:18 PM
Cobra Trailer Screw Jack JS Soaring 0 November 20th 12 03:01 AM
Cobra Trailer Screw Jack Mike McCarron[_2_] Soaring 4 July 31st 12 09:07 PM
Cobra Trailer Screw Jack Mike McCarron[_2_] Soaring 0 July 30th 12 07:27 PM
WTB: Cobra Trailer Ramp Jack - US Gary Emerson Soaring 1 June 21st 09 01:34 AM