Contrails

Old December 8th 03, 07:33 AM
Thomas Borchert

H.,

"99% of the population has no idea why."
Jay, I submit this is generally true.

But they have strong beliefs - Oh NO, wrong thread... gd&r

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old December 8th 03, 02:31 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

Do you collect old sectionals, or is there a library of these things

someplace?

I collect old sectionals.

Old December 9th 03, 07:41 PM
Jay Honeck

Fascinating stuff, Steven -- thanks!

Would it be possible to con you into scanning those sectionals for me?
(Just the area around Iowa City, of course -- not the whole thing!)

I'd like to include them in my ever-evolving "History of the Iowa City
Airport" (which you are at in no small measure responsible for me starting,
BTW!) page. It would really help fill some BIG gaps in our knowledge.

You can see version 3.0 of this effort at
http://www.alexisparkinn.com/the_iowa_city_airport.htm
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
news

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

Iowa City was on the original transcontinental air mail route. When

they
switched from light beacons to radio beacons, Iowa City received a VOR.

Well, actually, they didn't. When radio navigation was introduced in the
late twenties it was in the form of the four course A-N radio range, VOR
didn't come along until the late forties.

(In the 1920s and 30s, Iowa City has a 500,000,000 candlepower beacon!
That's half a BILLION candlepower -- it was reported in the newspapers

that
area farmers were able to work at night, by the light of the beacon!)

These routes evolved into the airways airlines (and many IFR pilots)

still
use today.

I have a 1939 Des Moines sectional chart. It shows the airway passing

just
south of the Iowa City Airport. The airway is defined by A-N ranges at
Moline and Des Moines. There's a rotating beacon on the field at Iowa

City,
and rotating beacons with course lights on the airway southeast and
southwest of Iowa City.

The 1945 sectional shows the airway now designated Green 3 and an NDB at
Iowa City.

The 1948 sectional shows some extensions to controlled airspace around the
Iowa City airport, no doubt to contain an instrument approach. The only
change to the visual or radio navaids is the addition of a visual ground
sign about three miles northwest of Riverside.

The 1953 sectional shows significant changes. The airway light beacons,
visual ground sign, and the NDB are gone. The Iowa City VOR is located
where the visual ground sign was. V6 and V8 run from the Des Moines VOR
through Iowa City VOR to the Moline VOR. The Des Moines VOR is located
about three miles south-southwest of the Des Moines Range, the Moline VOR

is
located about four miles northeast of Cordova, Illinois.

The 1960 sectional shows a few more airways defined by the IOW VOR.

The 1964 sectional no longer shows the A-N ranges.

Old December 10th 03, 06:51 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

Would it be possible to con you into scanning those sectionals for me?
(Just the area around Iowa City, of course -- not the whole thing!)

Okay. They're big files so I'm sending them to you individually. If you
have a problem with them I'll post them to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation

Old December 10th 03, 07:59 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
nk.net...

Okay. They're big files so I'm sending them to you individually. If you
have a problem with them I'll post them to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation

I made the files large for good detail. They were apparently too large, as
they bounced back as undeliverable. I have posted them to the
alt.binaries.pictures.aviation group, the subject lines begin "Iowa City
area..."

Old December 10th 03, 09:56 PM
Greg Burkhart

There only shows one part of the picture there, part 3 of 3. Possibly a
problem with my news server... :-(

Old December 10th 03, 10:23 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Greg Burkhart" wrote in message

There only shows one part of the picture there, part 3 of 3. Possibly a
problem with my news server... :-(

I use Earthlink, all three showed up on mine just fine.