Thanks be to God

Old December 8th 03, 06:37 PM
Big John

Default Thanks be to God

33 years ago at about 13:00 Greenland Standard Time , with good
training, excellent equipment and the Grace of God, I ejected over
Sonderstrom Greenland, in the middle of a snow storm and survived,

This day after Pearl Harbor Day, I celebrate, with my troops, this
episode in time.

Big John
Old December 9th 03, 01:33 AM
pix

"Big John" wrote in message
33 years ago at about 13:00 Greenland Standard Time , with good
training, excellent equipment and the Grace of God, I ejected over
Sonderstrom Greenland, in the middle of a snow storm and survived,

This day after Pearl Harbor Day, I celebrate, with my troops, this
episode in time.

Big John

Well don't leave us hanging here, Big John - tell us the story! ;-)

cheers...pix

Old December 9th 03, 03:05 AM
vincent p. norris

33 years ago at about 13:00 Greenland Standard Time , with good
training, excellent equipment and the Grace of God, I ejected over
Sonderstrom Greenland, in the middle of a snow storm and survived,

How about some details?

vince norris
Old December 9th 03, 03:43 AM
Bush

Same he Ejected and excellent equipment usually don't
go in the same sentence. Greenland is ice, Iceland is green.
Do you walk to school, or carry your lunch?

Have a great one!

Bush

Old December 9th 03, 04:45 AM
Brad Z

Same he Ejected and excellent equipment usually don't
go in the same sentence.

Shot down, maybe?

Old December 9th 03, 04:54 AM
Big John

All right you'se guys. Told the whole story last year but a short
version.

Ferrying three T-33's out of over haul to Iceland and going to bring
the war weary birds back.

Launched, CAVU and forecast and to remain, from Goose Bay along with 9
F-5's going to Jordan. En route, Wx at Sonderstrom went to 1K and
three miles in snow. F-5's were faster and passed us and started
landing (GCA) before us. We arrived at Sonderstrom and listened to the
problems the F-5's were having while circuling for an hour.

Finally given clearance to make an approach to GCA for landing. Gave
us a 360 to burn off altitude and ran us behind a mountain and we lost
radio contact. I climbed a little and went to Guard and got contact
and we were on base leg and they forgot I was on Guard and let us over
shoot final talking on descrete freq not Guard. Sent us around with 12
gallons on totalizer. Pulled up and punched.

Civilian chopper picked three of us up and 4th landed outside their
local TV station and walked in on camera :O)

Lots of errata but that is basic story.

Monday morning quarter back. If I had declared emergency fuel 10-15
minutes earlier they might have lost one or two F-5's but my three
birds would have landed ok. Isn't hindsight wonderful.

Big John

Msc

The F-5's had a price tag of over a million dollars ea.

The T-33's were on the books at $65K ea.

Old December 9th 03, 06:33 AM
Rick Durden

Big John,

I join you in your celebration of survival and tip one for you.

However, I wonder what God or Allah or Odin or Zeus has to do with it.
If God allowed your airplane to go south on you and the weather to be
awful, why would you give Him or Her credit for your survival. After
all, didn't He or She screw you to start with?

Again, congratulations on surviving a horrible experience and using
your skill, experience, judgment and knolwedge in selecting when and
where to leave the aircraft. Let's give credit where it's due. You
just plain did it right.

All the best,
Rick

Old December 9th 03, 02:49 PM
Pat Thronson

wrote:

33 years ago at about 13:00 Greenland Standard Time , with good
training, excellent equipment and the Grace of God, I ejected over
Sonderstrom Greenland, in the middle of a snow storm and survived,

This day after Pearl Harbor Day, I celebrate, with my troops, this
episode in time.

Big John

Big John,

You have some amazing stories, do you post to other places I could follow,
write a book... You and the other fantastic posters are the reason I am
spending too much/not enough time on the computer instead of venturing
outside. Some day we will be simulated to cyborgs and not miss a thing
except simple living?

Best wishes for the holidays

Pat Thronson

Old December 9th 03, 05:02 PM
Big John

Pat

I basically just post to rah and rap.

I liken the give and take to what we called "Hanger Flying" in the old
days. You heard stories of what happened, good and bad, which helped
to build your body of knowledge.

I have been building my family history (genealogy) for many years and
kick myself that I didn't start earlier and talk to the old ones who
passed away before I got into the business.

On my 'War Stories', some are just stories and others hold good basic
information that pilots can use in their flying. Hope that us old
timers can pass some of the information we learned the hard way to the
current generations.

In some of the subsequent posts following my 'story' my use of "Grace
of God" seems to start being taken to task. I could have use the word
"luck" which can extrapolate directly into 'Grace of God' if anyone
has heart burn about thanking my deity.

Bottom line. Made it and glad to be here today with all you good (and
bad) folks. G

16 days and counting............

Big John