Hooray for Pennsylvania!

Old December 8th 03, 10:53 PM
Roger Long

Default Hooray for Pennsylvania!

In a time when almost every state government seems to be jumping on the We'
ve-got-to-shut-down-GA-to-protect-us-against-wackos-from-the-otherside-of-th
e-world bandwagon, the PA legislature is showing rare sense. They passed a
nearly unanimous resolution asking the TSA and the feds to get real.

http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsite...resolution.pdf

You have a friend in Pennsylvania.

--
Roger Long

Old December 8th 03, 11:20 PM
Z Sten

Roger Long wrote:

In a time when almost every state government seems to be jumping on the We'
ve-got-to-shut-down-GA-to-protect-us-against-wackos-from-the-otherside-of-th
e-world bandwagon, the PA legislature is showing rare sense. They passed a
nearly unanimous resolution asking the TSA and the feds to get real.

http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsite...resolution.pdf

You have a friend in Pennsylvania.

--
Roger Long

As a Pennsylvanian living about 4 NM from the State Capital, you can bet
that I will be writing my State Rep. a note of thanks for this action.

Let's hope that other states jump on this bandwagon!

Arnold Sten

Old December 9th 03, 12:25 AM
Judah

I like this.

I am writing to my CongressPerson requesting that they take similar
action...

Maybe we should all do the same and wake some people up.

"Roger Long" om wrote in
:

http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsite...resolution.pdf

Old December 9th 03, 02:09 AM
vincent p. norris

....... the PA legislature is showing rare sense.

Absolutely astounding! First time in many years!

But I'll do my best to encourage it.

vince norris
Old December 9th 03, 02:12 AM
Geoffrey Barnes

Finally, something to be this Pittsburgher to be happy about in this state!
I would, however, extend two comments about this. First, while it is a nice
gesture, sending this resolution to the TSA is unlikely to do any good. I
don't even know if the TSA is in any way involved in these presidential
TFRs. Even if they are, the clear prime mover behind them is obviously the
Secret Service. And the Secret Service, quite frankly, does not not give a
stuff who they inconveinience in their pursuit of the unatainable perfectly
secure envioronment. They close off entire interstates during rush hour,
they have completely eliminated Pennsylvania Ave., and if they thought they
could get away with it they would happily impose a dusk-to-dawn curfew on an
entire cirty two days before the president was due to arrive. These
presidential TFRs are here to stay, I'm afraid, and all the non-binding
resolutions in the world isn't going to make them disappear.

My second point concerns the TFR that was imposed today (8 Dec 2003) in
Latrobe, Pennsylvania (home to Arnold Palmer and Rolling Rock beer). As
presidential TFRs go, this one was fairly low-impact. Only one airport
(Arnold Palmer Regional) was locked down because of it. But what's weird is
that I haven't seen or heard one thing about a presidential visit today, and
I live maybe 20 miles from this airport. The President was here in
Pittsburgh just last week, shutting down scores of airports and it was all
over the local media. Today there isn't the slightest mention of anything.
What gives?

Old December 9th 03, 12:28 PM
Geoffrey Barnes

My second point concerns the TFR that was imposed today (8 Dec 2003) in
Latrobe, Pennsylvania (home to Arnold Palmer and Rolling Rock beer). As
presidential TFRs go, this one was fairly low-impact. Only one airport
(Arnold Palmer Regional) was locked down because of it. But what's weird

is
that I haven't seen or heard one thing about a presidential visit today,

and
I live maybe 20 miles from this airport. The President was here in
Pittsburgh just last week, shutting down scores of airports and it was all
over the local media. Today there isn't the slightest mention of

anything.
What gives?

Finally saw something about this... Cheney went hunting.

Old December 9th 03, 05:51 PM
Bob Chilcoat

It would be really interesting to see a state pass a resolution requesting
(banning?) the President from coming to their state if his visit required
them to disrupt commerce within the state. Bush (or anyone else post Bush)
would have to decide if it was worth the risk to come without the TFR's and
blocked roads (and other trappings of power). Maybe state's rights do have
a place in our modern world after all.

"Roger Long" om wrote in
message . ..

Old December 9th 03, 09:22 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Bob Chilcoat wrote:

It would be really interesting to see a state pass a resolution requesting
(banning?) the President from coming to their state if his visit required
them to disrupt commerce within the state. Bush (or anyone else post Bush)
would have to decide if it was worth the risk to come without the TFR's and
blocked roads (and other trappings of power). Maybe state's rights do have
a place in our modern world after all.

What a great idea, Bob! The closest I've seen to that in the real world so far
is the serious discussion in New York to bill the Feds for the cost of police
work due to the security for presidential visits.

George Patterson
Some people think they hear a call to the priesthood when what they really
hear is a tiny voice whispering "It's indoor work with no heavy lifting".
Old December 9th 03, 10:17 PM
Judah

Outrageous. Like a 172 pilot would be able to pick his Orange Vest out of
the forest and drop a bomb on his head!!

Or, more importantly, like he couldn't take out the plane first with his
shotgun! (If he had any sense of aim, I mean.)

"Geoffrey Barnes" wrote in
nk.net:

Old December 9th 03, 10:28 PM
Judah

Oh geez! I just had visions of a military SWAT team that would clear out an
area before Bush went anywhere! You know, kinda like the Fedayeen!

You think you have short notice now? Imagine if they didn't have to tell
ANYONE where the Prez would be next? The TFRs would just happen mid-flight!

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in
: