Oudie Supplemental Power Pack

Old September 26th 17, 08:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Oudie Supplemental Power Pack

Think I'm gonna buy me one of THESE
https://www.walmart.com/ip/300000mAh-Dual-USB-Portable-Solar-Battery-Charger-Solar-Power-Bank/577223227?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=11232& adid=22222222227082152808&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0= &wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=196724236981&wl4=pla-314508929942&wl5=9030458&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl 10=117089434&wl11=online&wl12=577223227&wl13=&veh= sem.
When it doesn't deliver the promised 300 amp hours (300000 mAh), I'll
sue WalMart and then buy me a new ASH-31 mi.

On 9/26/2017 9:57 AM, wrote:
If it is not a constant load then some of the "external power packs" may shut themselves off when they see no load. I don't know about the Oudie, but I've had such problems with other devices. Those battery packs that you have to start with a button push (the vast majority) are the ones to avoid. There are a few models that either have an on/off slide switch, or sense the load and automatically turn themselves on.

--
Dan, 5J

Old September 26th 17, 08:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Kelley #711

Think I'm gonna buy me one of THESE.Â*

wrote:

If it is not a constant load then some of the "external power packs" may shut themselves off when they see no load. I don't know about the Oudie, but I've had such problems with other devices. Those battery packs that you have to start with a button push (the vast majority) are the ones to avoid. There are a few models that either have an on/off slide switch, or sense the load and automatically turn themselves on.

--

Dan, 5J

Go see your attorney now!

Solar Doesn't Work
9/15/2017
I bought this "cheap" solar USB charger because I wanted a way to charge my iPhone or camera batteries when camping or hiking. It is only a battery USB charger as the solar doesn't work. I've had the USB charger in direct sunlight all day and the battery is still without charge. Garbage and a waste of $.
Old September 27th 17, 12:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Perhaps this?
Not sure if it emits noise for the vhf.

https://powerwerx.com/usbbuddy-power...device-charger
Old September 27th 17, 01:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, September 26, 2017 at 7:47:52 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Perhaps this?
Not sure if it emits noise for the vhf.

https://powerwerx.com/usbbuddy-power...device-charger

These things all have a 3.7V lithium ion battery inside, and a "switching" circuit to convert that to 5V for the output. Thus they are all potential noise makers. Put the output cable 2 or 3 times through a ferrite ring if you notice too much noise in the radio. Since the pack has no other connections, that cable is the main "antenna" for the noise, so that should fix it.
Old September 27th 17, 01:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I recently bought an external pack (can't remember the brand or mAh) that is supposed to recharge cell phones and other devices. I thought it was just an external battery but the directions say that it must be disconnected once the phone (or whatever) is fully charged. There is no indication that the battery has been fully charged other than looking at the battery level on the device, so that needs to be monitored. I haven't used it other than one time to charge a cell phone. Is this a common set up?
Old September 27th 17, 03:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Yeah, I tried one of those.Â* It was worth a shot, but what a racket it
caused in the radio!Â* It's not just the wire(s) being an antenna, but
the switching circuit creates a square wave which, using a transformer,
is reduced from ~12v to ~5v.Â* As all EEs know, a square wave is a mix of
an infinite number of sine waves (can you say RF emissions?) and
therefore the entire box should also be shielded.

Just for fun, I looked up the Fourrier Transform
https://betterexplained.com/articles/an-interactive-guide-to-the-fourier-transform/
and was pleasantly surprised to find a layman's description.Â* So much
easier to understand than in an electrical engineering class so many
decades ago...

Cheers!

Old September 27th 17, 06:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

So I recently got a dashcam for my crew vehicle and am trying to find a power supply that doesn't break squelch and introduce a crapload of noise into all receptions... The one that came with the camera and a couple others I tried also made my FM radio near useless for weak stations.

I sent an email to Powerwerx about this adapter and the response was that it is a lot cleaner than most. And since these guys are in the ham radio biz, I would expect they understand RF interference. I'll order one and see if it works in my truck and report back.

5Z

Old September 27th 17, 07:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle

Tom,

I've been flying with a USBbuddy for 3 years - it's powering my iPhone 6. It has not interfered with my Becker AR4201 at all.

Before buying the USBbuddy I had first tried battery packs (one with an on/off switch), and found that my radio broke squelch on all frequencies.

-John, Q3

Old September 27th 17, 09:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thanks John,
I've ordered the USBuddy and we'll seee how it works.

I also use a Anker PowerCore (see link below) to run my iPhone and actioncam with no perceived noise on my radio. Went with the extra battery just to be sure I don't drain the avionics stuff with the iPhone as it seems to pull a lot when actively navigating.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old September 27th 17, 10:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

I'd think the RigRunner 4004-USB would be best for the job. 4x fused 12v outlets plus two USB ports, in a shielded case.
Jim
https://powerwerx.com/west-mountain-...unner-4004-usb