WiFi "war flying"

Old May 2nd 04, 09:35 PM
John Gaquin

"Ross Oliver" wrote in message

A Cessna 172 and Piper Cherokee go on an aerial hunt for WiFi

My son and I were just talking about this sort of thing. He mentioned the
LA thing. He and his friends sometimes go 'war driving', and they'll have
several cars talking to each other.

Why? Because they can! These are the people who will come up with bizarre
and outrageous new ways to use internet communication in ways we've never
dreamed of. They are the future, and it will be here tomorrow. Hell, I've
still got a 10" open reel tape deck, and think CDs are a miracle!

Old May 2nd 04, 10:42 PM
Martin Hotze

On Sun, 2 May 2004 16:35:56 -0400, John Gaquin wrote:

Why? Because they can!

this makes it legal? no, I don't say that wardriving is illegal.
but finding a open network and _then_ (mis-)using it is another thing.

what about walking down the block and checking every front door? what will
you do if you find a door open? well ...

These are the people who will come up with bizarre
and outrageous new ways to use internet communication in ways we've never
dreamed of.

what else but porn?

#m

--
If John and Peter get together and take money from Paul at gunpoint,
we call it armed robbery. If two thousand voters get together
Old May 2nd 04, 11:25 PM
John Gaquin

"Martin Hotze" wrote in message

On Sun, 2 May 2004 16:35:56 -0400, John Gaquin wrote:

this makes it legal? no, I don't say that wardriving is illegal.
but finding a open network and _then_ (mis-)using it is another thing.

What other thing, precisely?

what about walking down the block and checking every front door? what will
you do if you find a door open? well ...

What are you talking about?

These are the people who will come up with bizarre
and outrageous new ways to use internet communication in ways we've never
dreamed of.

what else but porn?

Excuse me?

Old May 3rd 04, 05:22 PM
John Gaquin

"Martin Hotze" wrote in message

hmm. what does one do when finding an open net?
one can be nice and let the owner know and tell him

wardriving is nothing else then running down the street and check if one

can
find an unlocked front door.

It's very similar to catch and release fishing.

the wheel is already invented. what killeraplication do you expect to be
invented?

A different kind of wheel. You sound like you're of the opinion that
everything that can be invented has already been invented. How dull.

Old May 3rd 04, 08:30 PM
gatt

"John Gaquin" wrote in message

Why? Because they can! These are the people who will come up with

bizarre
and outrageous new ways to use internet communication in ways we've never
dreamed of. They are the future, and it will be here tomorrow. Hell,

I've
still got a 10" open reel tape deck, and think CDs are a miracle!

As a network provider geek I can see some very good reasons for "war
driving" or "war flying." If you identify an unprotected network, you can
inform the owner or administrator of the network that he's unprotected.

Our tech support folks have dealt with DSL outage issues where it turns out
the caller never even installed his DSL modem. He said he had a WiFi card
in his laptop, fired it up and it worked for weeks, so he didn't think he
needed the modem. Turns out he was inadvertently hijacking his neighbor's
DSL or cable connection. If you're the kind of guy that makes $125/hr
doing WiFi network security, or even not, you can do somebody a favor by
letting them know that there network is entirely vulnerable to anybody
driving (or even flying) by.

-c

Old May 3rd 04, 08:32 PM
gatt

"Martin Hotze" wrote in message

the wheel is already invented. what killeraplication do you expect to be
invented?

WiFi internet is a pretty "killer" "application", actually. Unfortunately
most people who drop $100 on a Linksys wireless router to run their business
office don't yet realize that virtually everything in their office is
vulnerable.

I don't know. They might consider it invasion of privacy, or they might
consider it a FAVOR, if you let them know that they're privates are dangling
for all to see.

-c

Old May 3rd 04, 10:33 PM
John Gaquin

"Martin Hotze" wrote in message news:c75vqk$7s9

no I am not of that opinion. I just don't belive that the new wheel is

invented
by the wardrivers.

I disagree. these are the people on the edge; the people who take the
technology, and play with it; do things unanticipated, see how far it will
go.

Old May 4th 04, 06:22 AM
Newps

"John Gaquin" wrote in message

"Martin Hotze" wrote in message news:c75vqk$7s9

no I am not of that opinion. I just don't belive that the new wheel is

invented
by the wardrivers.

I disagree. these are the people on the edge; the people who take the
technology, and play with it; do things unanticipated, see how far it will
go.

Which is the way we think here. The exact opposite way they think over
there. It's not called the old country for no reason.

Old May 4th 04, 08:19 AM
Dylan Smith

In article , Javier Henderson wrote:
I tried using my iBook to access the Internet while flying, through a
Nokia 3600 phone (using Bluetooth between the computer and the phone,
and GPRS to access the Internet). Worked fine.

Hmmm... in flight weather radar :-)

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net