Mystery turn control device on older jets

Old May 7th 07, 12:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

Default Mystery turn control device on older jets

"d&tm" wrote in
:

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message
. 130...
Mxsmanic wrote in
:

I recall seeing, long ago, a sort of large knob on the pedestal of
a jet (I can't remember which kind) that, when turned, put the
aircraft into a coordinated turn ... at least if I recall
correctly. No modern jets seem to have anything like this.

You're an idiot.

Send me $500 and I'll tell you all about it.

Bertie
Do you have any reason for reading this newsgroup other than to make
repeated juvenile comments about mxsmanic? ie do you fly yourself?
are you an interested wannabe? , do you have anything to contribute
aviation wise? If the answer to the last 3 questions is no, would you
**** off if we sent you $500?

BTW, you must be an Aussie!

Bertie
Old May 7th 07, 04:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Scott Skylane writes:

Take a look at this pictu

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1149076/L/

At the very bottom center of the photo is the rudder trim knob. Ahead
of it, on the center console, forward of the nav & com radios, and just
below the 3 fuel cutoff levers, is a smaller, grey knob. This is the
autopilot manual turn (and pitch) control knob. It is used to turn the
aircraft left or right, if you're not using a heading &/or nav mode,
while the autopilot is engaged. It is also used to command nose up or
down, unless you are coupled in "approach" mode.

That could be it. I recall it being the size of the lower knob, but it was so
long ago (when I was a child) that I could be remembering things incorrectly
and confusing one control with another. I was interested in planes even then
but I knew nothing about cockpit controls at the time.

Old May 7th 07, 05:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On May 6, 3:18 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
I recall seeing, long ago, a sort of large knob on the pedestal of a jet (I
can't remember which kind) that, when turned, put the aircraft into a
coordinated turn ... at least if I recall correctly. No modern jets seem to
have anything like this. Am I imagining things, or did something like this
exist on earlier jets. I recall it being called a flight director, I think,
but the behavior doesn't seem to be like the devices people call flight
directors today.

Probably just a turn director. Even my Mooney has that. Click it left
and you make a standard rate turn to the left, click it right and you
make a standard rate turn to the right. In some situations its just
easier than driving the plane around with the heading bug. Honestly
though, I never use it and I have seen some autopilots that don't
provide it.

-Robert

Old May 7th 07, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Scott Skylane writes:

[...]

You're an idiot, you don't fly you have no idea what you're talking
about.

Berti e
Old May 7th 07, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, Nancy Pryor said:
Mxsmanic wrote:
I recall seeing, long ago, a sort of large knob on the pedestal of a jet (I
can't remember which kind) that, when turned, put the aircraft into a
coordinated turn ... at least if I recall correctly. No modern jets seem to
have anything like this. Am I imagining things, or did something like this
exist on earlier jets. I recall it being called a flight director, I think,
but the behavior doesn't seem to be like the devices people call flight
directors today.

OMG...the stewardess is flying the plane!

PS
It's a device for turning the plane to avoid flying into the Rockies
in preparation for landing in Salt Lake City.

In preparation for having the hero dangle on a rope and come into the
cockpit, right?

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
-- Arthur C. Clarke
Old May 7th 07, 09:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air,alt.disasters.aviation
d&tm

[...]

BTW you are a jerk. Yes I am an Australian and proud of it , but a little
less proud knowing you probably are an Australian also. Does it occur to
you that your stalking behaviour ( I think thats a valid description for
someone whoes only intent is to reply to one single poster) is obviously
water off a ducks back to mxs.. he clearly sees you as an intellectual
inferior not even worthy of acknowledgement that you exist. I'll be sharing
that sentiment after this post. And BTW I dont believe for 1 minute you are
a pilot.
terry

Old May 7th 07, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
george

On May 7, 5:29 pm, "Maxwell" wrote:
"Mxsmanic" wrote in message

Richard Riley writes:

How about the nosewheel steering knob?

Is a .02G turn on the tarmac "coordinated?"

I thought tillers were usually placed on the outboard wall of the cockpit
(perhaps because there's not much else placed there)?

Have you tried Control-Alt-Arrow?

Or learning to fly ?

Old May 7th 07, 10:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,alt.disasters.aviation,alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim
Mike Hunt

Luke Skywalker wrote:

But if she has any doubts she can just call the Tower and we'll talk
her through it.

Patroni

Both Doris Day and Lauren Holly did that quite well!

Robert

Striker.......
Old May 8th 07, 12:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air,alt.disasters.aviation
Your Better

"d&tm" wrote in
:

[...]

I say, I say, son...you're even dumber than you look! But you just keep
sitting there confident in your private pilot knowledge and ignore the big
boys who know far more than you ever will.

And stop scratching, already.
Old May 8th 07, 01:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,alt.disasters.aviation,alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim
Luke Skywalker

On May 7, 4:33 pm, Mike Hunt postmaster@localhost wrote:
Luke Skywalker wrote:
But if she has any doubts she can just call the Tower and we'll talk
her through it.

Patroni

Both Doris Day and Lauren Holly did that quite well!

Robert

Striker.......

THE SARGE....

What was the L. Bridges line..."It is a bad day to give up glue
sniffing!"

both those were just well done...I was sort of amazed that I laughed
as hard at the second one as I did on the first one...

"You can tell me, I am a Doctor"

Robert

FA: One-Day-Left: 3 Books - JETS JETS and JETS - AIRPORT - 30 Seconds Over Tokyo Alan Aviation Marketplace 0 August 14th 05 01:11 PM
FA: 3 Books - JETS JETS and JETS - and Aviation Classics Millie Aviation Marketplace 0 August 9th 05 03:48 AM
DIY DF device John Home Built 15 May 4th 04 11:32 PM
You Want Control? You Can't Handle Control! -- Was 140 dead ArtKramr Military Aviation 0 March 2nd 04 08:48 PM
Rate of turn indicator on commercial jets (Boeing / Airbus) Mark Simulators 1 November 1st 03 10:35 AM